User Tag List

View Poll Results: Is the word "retarded" offensive?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, every time it's used, no matter the circumstance.

10 11.11%
  • Only when used to refer to a mentally handicapped person (see OP).

44 48.89%
  • No it's never offensive (I'm insensitive).

36 40.00%
First 7891011 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    How can one ever be sure the other isn't merely being a good sport to fit in? How can one be sure it isn't a cruel echo of something that torments them in their own minds?
    That's why it should usually be used between people who know each other well enough to know how it would be taken. In the right context, it's endearing. Some people hate pity, and humor and making light of the situation seems to help sometimes.

MBTI
    INFP

I just had another thought. It is likely that wherever you go there will be someone near with a friend or relative with brain problems. So it seems a simple matter of courtesy to watch how you use the word.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INTP

Basically, people fall into two camps on issues like this: People who think the funny outweighs the sensitivity issue, and people who think the sensitivity issue outweighs the funny. I'm in the first camp, personally. Humor is one of the things that makes life worth living. Having to be overly pc about things sucks the fun right out of a lot of situations. Most of the time the folks I'm friends with understand where I'm coming from, and know the spirit in which any comments are intended, and they share that sense of humor. People who are overly sensitive to words in general and I probably won't be fantastic friends, anyway, so it kind of works out.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Option D: No, it's just hilarious.

It depends on the relationship. Where there is mutual respect and you can see it, you are free to insult to your hearts content. It's like giving someone a hug.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Basically, people fall into two camps on issues like this: People who think the funny outweighs the sensitivity issue, and people who think the sensitivity issue outweighs the funny. I'm in the first camp, personally. Humor is one of the things that makes life worth living. Having to be overly pc about things sucks the fun right out of a lot of situations. Most of the time the folks I'm friends with understand where I'm coming from, and know the spirit in which any comments are intended, and they share that sense of humor. People who are overly sensitive to words in general and I probably won't be fantastic friends, anyway, so it kind of works out.
    I agree. It's only a problem when the person who thinks funny outweighs sensitivity, isn't funny. But often these people open themselves up for ridicule, in doing so. Like some kind of 'survival of the funniest' Darwinism.

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

People who are overly sensitive to words in general should take a listen to the highly comic social commenatry of "Bob and Tom" or Howard Stern! Get with the zeitgeist, pussies!

Sorry about the pussy remark, you know...to those who have one...
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I agree. It's only a problem when the person who thinks funny outweighs sensitivity, isn't funny. But often these people open themselves up for ridicule, in doing so. Like some kind of 'survival of the funniest' Darwinism.
    That's a good point. "Survival of the funniest" So true.

Retard once meant mentally disabled person in a non offensive manner but then people started using it offensively.

Same thing happens with calling them "special" which I think is just plain wrong as we should not trick them into thinking they are gifted in some way (I've seen this go wrong IRL when a mentally disabled kid got really angry when he found out he wasn't really "special" like they had been telling him)

How about we just call them people and leave their mental disability out of it unless it needs to be brought up?

MBTI
    ENFJ

I must say I'm surprised with these poll results. I expected a higher percentage of votes for Option A.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.