User Tag List

View Poll Results: Is the word "retarded" offensive?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, every time it's used, no matter the circumstance.

10 11.11%
  • Only when used to refer to a mentally handicapped person (see OP).

44 48.89%
  • No it's never offensive (I'm insensitive).

36 40.00%
First 678910 Last

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    I think the question should be: do retards mind being referred to as retarded?

My solution is: try not to take words seriously. See beyond the words.
    Bingo!

MBTI
    ENTP

^
    lmfao

reminds me of the Special Constables.

MBTI
    INTj

Do we have any one here who could answer that question directly?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I prefer to say "Retardo." From the joke, "What did the Pollack and the Puerto Rican name their baby?"

ETA: Now, here's where we need to resurrect Jack Flak!

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

allpowerful.jpg

Why, my friend in the land that I came from people with no more intelligence than you have developed a useful tool for understanding the impact of that a word might have on another creature and back there we call it: Empathy. Now just let me look down here in my chest full of plaudits, blandishments and endorsements I should have just the thing you need to....

Oh dear...Hmmm.. I seem to be out of empathy for you just now.

Perhaps a volunteer stint at the Special Oympics might do just as well? Good luck in Kansas!
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I've never seen anyone directly call a disabled person a retard. People just use the word when their friends act retarded.

The reason you will never see someone say "hey, you're a retard" to a retard, is because in that context it's huge dick thing to say. Even if the mentally handicapped person couldn't understand what was happening, everyone around him would get offended for him.

If you have a disabled friend, and jokingly call him a retard, that is of course less offensive.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    If you have a disabled friend, and jokingly call him a retard, that is of course less offensive.
    Sure, sure, just like when one has a friend with MS and they get fatigued half-way up the stairs and their legs give out. Nothing says friendship in that moment like saying "Come on, crip, get up those stairs!"

Disability, illness, pain are endless sources of fun and bonding for everyone. (and yes, this was sarcasm)

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Sure, sure, just like when one has a friend with MS and they get fatigued half-way up the stairs and their legs give out. Nothing says friendship in that moment like saying "Come on, crip, get up those stairs!"
    It's a delicate situation, but making light of a bad situation, done in the right way, is often appreciated by the person in the bad situation.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Do we have any one here who could answer that question directly?
    I can say a few words about this. I have met/known more than a handful of people with brain damage/metal retardation.

One time when I was 16 my parents took me to a ritzy-ditzy resort in Northern MN. In the dining room one night we sat next to another middle-aged couple with a daughter my age. She was beautiful, well-dressed and her table manners were impeccable.

I struck up a conversation with her and it soon became apparent that she was retarded. In the middle of the conversation she said somethingto me I will never forget.

"I'm retarded and you're not. I wanted to tell you to be grateful every day for that." Hello!

I have a friend who has pretty serious brain-damage from alcohol use. He says that when he meets people for the first time whom he will be spending any amount of time with that he usually slips the fact that he has brain damage somewhere into the conversation. He says this avoids confusion for people when he says or does something out-of-the-ordinary.

And I can remember an acquaintance of several years who was quite philosophical and his statements about life were so very stripped down, so stark in their honest openness that he made an impression on a number of people.

I would suppose that any person with a brain which doesn't work correctly would be stunned and hurt to have the word used in a derogatory way to them. Retarded doesn't mean no feelings, ya know.

I don't know this for fact, but my guess is that some of them tease each other with the term. Sorta like "you can say it if you are one."
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    It's a delicate situation, but making light of a bad situation, done in the right way, is often appreciated by the person in the bad situation.
    How can one ever be sure the other isn't merely being a good sport to fit in? How can one be sure it isn't a cruel echo of something that torments them in their own minds?