User Tag List

View Poll Results: Is the word "retarded" offensive?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, every time it's used, no matter the circumstance.

    10 11.11%
  • Only when used to refer to a mentally handicapped person (see OP).

    44 48.89%
  • No it's never offensive (I'm insensitive).

    36 40.00%
First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 120

  1. #21
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Wow, you have a lot to learn about the F side of things then Eck. It's not out of fear or social unacceptance. If anything internal "guilt" is the main (un)motivator. It's about coherence too. If I wouldn't say such a word in front of a mentally impaired person for fear of hurting his/her feelings then I'm not going to use it behind their backs.


    Obviously nothing is black and white, but there you go.
    Dude, did you read my post?
    I'm just dropping a few thoughts, not calling NFs hypocrites.
    and It has nothing to do with F, most intps I know will act 'like they should' even if it doesn't make sense, even if on paper they'd 'always do the right thing' if you listen to them.
    I was talking about the difference between attitude and behavior and what is too often the origin of the two forementioned things.
    I do have some Fe and I often have to as I said kick its ass in favor of my Ti, so it's not like I'm a robot.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  2. #22
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Dude, did you read my post?
    I'm just dropping a few thoughts, not calling NFs hypocrites.
    and It has nothing to do with F, most intps I know will act 'like they should' even if it doesn't make sense even if on paper they'd 'always do the right thing' if you listen to them.
    I was talking about the difference between attitude and behavior.
    I do have some Fe and I often have to as I said kick its ass so in favor of my Ti, so it's not like I'm a robot.
    I wasn't making this F vs T, I was explaining the rationale of the F side in each and everyone of us. I was pointing out how there is such a thing as a caring attitude and not just caring behavior.

  3. #23
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Wow, you have a lot to learn about the F side of things then Eck. It's not out of fear or social unacceptance. If anything internal "guilt" is the main (un)motivator. It's about coherence too. If I wouldn't say such a word in front of a mentally impaired person for fear of hurting his/her feelings then I'm not going to use it behind their backs.


    Obviously nothing is black and white, but there you go.
    for me it's not about being polite. it's about expressing myself in a way that matches my intention...it's not like i self correct. the word doesn't come to mind when i think of someone who's unintelligent.

    it's an environment thing i think...an age thing too for some. people rarely used it when i was in school and no one i know now really does either but i'm not offended by it unless it's used in a hurtful non joking way.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  4. #24
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    I wasn't making this F vs T, I was explaining the rationale of the F side in each and everyone of us. I was pointing out how there is such a thing as a caring attitude and not just caring behavior.
    And my point was that a century ago there were probably just as much NF and NT yet most of (if not all) the population thoughts black people as inferiors.
    SO I'm outlining what seems to be a strong correlation between attitude and the zeitgeist.
    Then the attitude is a socially learned attitude to an extend, which doesn't make it the idealized empathy\rational thinking thing most people want it to be
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  5. #25
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    And my point was that a century ago there were probably just as much NF and NT yet most of (if not all) the population thoughts black people as inferiors.
    SO I'm outlining what seems to be a strong correlation between attitude and the zeitgeist.
    Then the attitude is a socially learned attitude to an extend, which doesn't make it the idealized empathy\rational thinking thing most people want it to be
    Wait, I thought it was the other way around. Attitude (thoughts) is how you truly see things, and behavior (actions( is what might be influenced by society's laws. You meant it the other way around?

    And actually I don't think there were as much Ns back then. But that's another story.


    Erina : I don't know if you got my point. I would never insult a mentally impaired person, but not out of politeness. Out of respect (the intention you speak of).

  6. #26
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,262

    Default

    Sorry for having been a psychology student. (cough)
    reread my post?

    Think about the origins of attitude and how behavior influences attitude both 'in real time' and as a social learning tool.
    think about the way we internalize values and make them our own 'attitudes', how do we learn socially ?
    Looking at other people's behaviors

    and so on

    about the N thing you might be right, I think the same, we have much more sources of information today. Such things help the N to develop while back then you were much more in a 'now and here' world.
    There's also a correlation between N and IQ, the IQ was lower back then (less sources of intellectual stimulation and so on).
    I realise iq is a base 100 standardized thing and that it's culturaly relative, so I'm talking about the 'technical part' of the iq tests (puzzles etc.)
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  7. #27
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Wait, I thought it was the other way around. Attitude (thoughts) is how you truly see things, and behavior (actions( is what might be influenced by society's laws. You meant it the other way around?

    And actually I don't think there were as much Ns back then. But that's another story.


    Erina : I don't know if you got my point. I would never insult a mentally impaired person, but not out of politeness. Out of respect (the intention you speak of).
    right yeah...sorry quoted because i agreed with you...i didn't really make the connection apparent though i guess...sorry bout that.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  8. #28
    Summer laintpe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    And I'm supposed to care because?

    Are you going to start about how your little cousin (...) or something?
    Imo intellectual is just as much of an offense as retard.
    Well, I didn't say you have to care; and no, i don't have any of those personal stories. "Imo" doesn't necessarily justify throwing a term around that is generally accepted as inappropriate... just because in your mind, it's not a big deal. I tend to push things too far in some settings, not with "name calling", but occassionally with jokes that other people take offense to... there's really no point for me to continue with those just because i don't see anything wrong with them. It creates confrontation and misunderstandings that are really annoying to deal with.
    [B]Ti=Ne>Ni>Fe>Te=Fi>Si>Se

    LII

    Quote Originally Posted by Nocap
    Quote Originally Posted by laintpe
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocap
    Ideally I'll be the woman

  9. #29
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Sorry for having been a psychology student. (cough)
    reread my post?

    Think about the origins of attitude and how behavior influences attitude both 'in real time' and as a social learning tool.
    think about the way we internalize values and make them our own 'attitudes', how do we learn socially ?
    Looking at other people's behaviors

    and so on

    about the N thing you might be right, I think the same, we have much more sources of information today. Such things help the N to develop while back then you were much more in a 'now and here' world.
    There's also a correlation between N and IQ, the IQ was lower back then (less sources of intellectual stimulation and so on).
    I realise iq is a base 100 standardized thing and that it's culturaly relative, so I'm talking about the 'technical part' of the iq tests (puzzles etc.)
    Oh, sorry, I see what you mean now. Well, that's what we call values. You can bet the French Revolution helped change the consciousness of people back then, and the subconscious of people since then. It's psychological human evolution. There was a time where this topic wouldn't even be an issue, but that's evolution for you.

    You can't really differentiate between what people really feel and what they've been brought up to feel. There's only so much you can explain about "trueness of spirit". A person with a good heart is good because he/she's good. You can logically explain the actions, but the thoughts are shaped by much more powerful forces.


    EDIT : I previously thought you meant behavior was the only part shaped by society and that people are comparable when it comes to attitude.

  10. #30
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,262

    Default

    yup.
    I just wanted to bring the thread to this point.
    It's important that people see themselves as social animals and get all it really means for their past and future development.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 96
    Last Post: 07-13-2011, 12:25 PM
  2. The Word "Fag" (Split: The Word "Retard")
    By Brendan in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 02-10-2009, 02:00 PM
  3. Implications of the word "lifestyle"
    By Totenkindly in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-28-2008, 02:36 PM
  4. What's the word for "pertaining to children"
    By darlets in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-16-2007, 08:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO