User Tag List

View Poll Results: Is the word "retarded" offensive?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, every time it's used, no matter the circumstance.

10 11.11%
  • Only when used to refer to a mentally handicapped person (see OP).

44 48.89%
  • No it's never offensive (I'm insensitive).

36 40.00%
First 9101112 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I voted "Only when used to refer to a mentally handicapped person" but it also depends on how it is used in this case. If someone refers to a mentally handicapped person as retarded in a manner where you know that they are just using the word because it is a word that can be used, then it is fine.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    If the word retard is offensive, then so too should the words stupid, imbecile, moron, and idiot be.
    Quote Originally Posted by hommefatal View Post
    I usually don't think words are offensive but it sounds like you equal a handicap and stupidity.
    Thank you, hommefatal! They aren't the same thing at all! One is a vague, subjective, and at times silly term, used only in jest and almost always hyperbole; and the other is very specific, very offensive, and considered insulting by the mentally handicapped and those who know them.

I'm sensitive to it, because I have a very close friend who has Down syndrome (her mother is my godmother). She's like a sister to me. She's a sweetheart - always considerate, and always friendly. I see great people with mental handicaps, like her, and I think of the sort of person described with the word "retard" through insults, and they aren't the same at all. What did she do to deserve that comparison?

Side note: It's also pretty offensive when people imitate the voice of someone mentally handicapped in jest, or do other things that are, unbeknownst to them, making fun of them. This is much more prominent, in my experience, than use of the word "retarded".

/rant

Edit: The word we're speaking of occupies the same territory, in my mind, as the N-word, the C-word, and many words used to refer to gay people.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I don't use it much at all. But then again, I'm not english. Teehee.

However, I use the dutch word for retard a lot, professionally.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Words generally don't bother me, I get more riled up about the stanky attitude behind them. But I am aware that words affect other people deeply, so I am careful with them. I would never call a disabled person a retard. I generally don't use the word "retard" as an insult or a joke, although I realized that I used it once or twice recently in jest at my cousin ever since I picked it up from hanging out on this forum. He, an ENFJ, was not pleased and made a big show about how messed up that was, so I learned my lesson. I never saw that word as offensive, since that is not the proper term for a mentally disabled person, but I understand why others do.

And I also never use the word "gay" as any sort of joke word. I just think it's tacky because it is still an active word meant to describe a group of people. And I have so many gay, bi and trans-whatever friends. It's a weird insult and I don't quite get it when someone says "that's so gay". It would be the equivalent of them saying "damn, that's so asian". or "that's so Guatemalan". Like, wth are you really saying with that phrase?

That being said, I'm kind of pissed that the word "gay" means homosexual now anyway. And I'm damn pissed that they appropriated the rainbow. I used to love wearing rainbows. /rant

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Gay means 'fun, loving'. Actually.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Gay means 'fun, loving'. Actually.
    Yes, that is what it should still mean! Boo...

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    And I also never use the word "gay" as any sort of joke word. I just think it's tacky because it is still an active word meant to describe a group of people. And I have so many gay, bi and trans-whatever friends. It's a weird insult and I don't quite get it when someone says "that's so gay". It would be the equivalent of them saying "damn, that's so asian". or "that's so Guatemalan". Like, wth are you really saying with that phrase?

Word, man. Word.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    When referring to a mentally disabled person, the politically correct way is "person who is a Tard".

You can not wait, can you?
    Tic tic ..

The Pardes is nigh.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I usually use the word retarded when a situation is retarded.

MBTI
    SEXY

Where's the option that it's only offensive to a not-handicapped persons. Retards is a proper word for mentally disabled people. I would be very offended if you'd call me a retard and basically said I was mentally disabled. If you meant it ironic or sarcastic I would be able to spot it and not be offended, but if you meant it, I'd get seriously pissed.