User Tag List

View Poll Results: Is the word "retarded" offensive?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, every time it's used, no matter the circumstance.

10 11.11%
  • Only when used to refer to a mentally handicapped person (see OP).

44 48.89%
  • No it's never offensive (I'm insensitive).

36 40.00%
First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    It depends on the relationship. Where there is mutual respect and you can see it, you are free to insult to your hearts content. It's like giving someone a hug.
    Exactly. If I'm blunt and insensitive with my jokes, it means I like whomever I'm directing it towards.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

From a distanced perspective it looks equivalent to using a term for any disability as a jest term which on some level has the same level of offensiveness in most contexts. I think the intentions of most people are rather innocent and naive when using the word. It isn't spoken or heard as offensive in most cases.

People with mental retardation often understand that they have a mental disability. Sometimes they know and understand the term, retarded, and how it relates to themselves. I had a mentally disabled lady I used to ride with on the bus who would tell me the story each day of how her father held her head under water as a child which she explained resulted in her being retarded. She understood enough. I always wonder how the person with the disability would think/feel when they hear the term in jest. That's what matters.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

heart on fire

How would someone with cancer or MS feel about having their conditions hurled around as insults, especially with the implied character defects that the word "retard" has grown to have connected with it? Why should someone with a mental disability feel any different?

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

If the word retard is offensive, then so too should the words stupid, imbecile, moron, and idiot be.

Yes, there are individuals who happen to be mentally "challenged", but that is besides the point, which is that calling someone a retard, or retarded jokingly is funny.

I call myself retarded all the time whenever I do excessively stupid things like jump in the shower with my bra still on, or go nutsos searching for my keys which happen to be in my back jean pocket the whole time.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

I usually don't think words are offensive but it sounds like you equal a handicap and stupidity.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I use the word "lame" also, but I don't think I am being insensitive to physically handicapped people. I think context and motive is everything in this situation.

I don't usually refer to a mentally handicapped person as "retarded" though. It seems like more of a slang word now that has taken on a different meaning.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INTP

I don't really use the word 'retarded' in everyday conversation, but I have no problem with it. In fact, I think I would take more offense to someone who made it into some big issue than to someone who used the word offensively.

MBTI
    entp

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Exactly. If I'm blunt and insensitive with my jokes, it means I like whomever I'm directing it towards.

YOU know that, do they?

flippin 'tard

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I think context and motive is everything in this situation.

I don't usually refer to a mentally handicapped person as "retarded" though. It seems like more of a slang word now that has taken on a different meaning.
    Pretty much agreed. I refer mentally handicapped people as "mentally handicapped" lol. It would seem offensive to call one of them a retard. Retard just seems like a silly insult to me.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

If you're offended by anything, you haven't been on the internet long enough.
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4