User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    INTj

South Korea... I'd say ESFJ (esp. the older generation).

I'm INTP; no wonder older people think I'm insane. My beliefs and values are pretty unconventional for a Korean. (For instance, I think nationalism is BS.)
    Enneagram: 5w4 5-9-2 (5w4 9w1 2w1) sp/so

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Greg King
    The worst mistake people make in political arguments is assuming that the other side is not trying to do the right thing. This simple oversight makes productive conversation nearly impossible.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Canada: ISFP

USA: ExTJ (mostly ESTJ culture in terms of organization, but there are a lot of visionary leaders who bulldoze, so ENTJ is acceptable and encouraged for leadership)

EDIT after reading: ooh, that's interesting that others perceive Canada that way as well.

It mandated and enforced a culture of live-and-let-live, and everything else was fair game and openly accepted even by SJs because live-and-let-live is the traditional culture.

Everything was allowed except bragging and pursuing genuine excellence to set you apart and draw attention. Canadians are expected to hide successes and self-flagellate. Actually maybe it's INFP.
    I have mixed feelings about this (being Canadian too). Canadians can be very live-and-let-live, but they can also be very rule-setting and self-righteous. What about all that prescribed political correctness? I've lived abroad for almost ten years and I still read about things happening back home that make me laugh.

When I tell people in the UK that my university had an "ombudsperson", not an "ombudsman", and that my brother was told that in a CD review he wrote for the university newspaper the word "craftsmanlike" wasn't acceptable but "craftspersonlike" was, they snort with disbelief. Then again, I'm from the West Coast.

Not so sure about the self-flagellation either. The reason Canadians tend to be mediocre is because they're so big on self-esteem, in my opinion. You know...for something like ten years, one of the world's greatest figure skating nations is nowhere with women's figure skaters. Year after year I hear comments from the sportscasters like "That was a personal best for Jennifer! She finished tenth again! What an accomplishment!" The Russians and the Chinese would have been like MUST. DO. BETTER!!!!! MUST!!!!!!!!!! WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Not that I think achievement in sport is a crucial thing, but still.) I find Canadians can be quite rah-rah-us but in a different way from Americans. Sort of "But we're obviously the best country in the world...didn't you know that?"

Living in the UK - now there's a country that's really down on itself! I love the UK in so many ways, but the only people here who would do the "well obviously we're the best country" thing would be crazy members of the racist BNP party.

Maybe Canada is too big geographically, despite its smallish population... I really feel like it's a combination of something like ISFP and ESxJ, in different ways.

Sorry, rant over.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I have mixed feelings about this (being Canadian too). Canadians can be very live-and-let-live, but they can also be very rule-setting and self-righteous. What about all that prescribed political correctness? I've lived abroad for almost ten years and I still read about things happening back home that make me laugh.
    It's hard to type an entire culture and I'm not sure how valid it is, since there can be contradictions...but I'd probably type Canada as more of an SFJ type for that reason. The book 'Where in the World do I Belong' (mentioned on the first page of this thread) had typed Canada as ESFJ and US as ESTJ (I glanced through some pages on my Amazon account). I might say ISFJ for Canada...nice, accepting, non-directive, but with firm ideas about what is and is not proper, and how people should behave.

By the way, according to that book if you're an INxx type...the answer is 'nowhere'.

Not so sure about the self-flagellation either. The reason Canadians tend to be mediocre is because they're so big on self-esteem, in my opinion. You know...for something like ten years, one of the world's greatest figure skating nations is nowhere with women's figure skaters. Year after year I hear comments from the sportscasters like "That was a personal best for Jennifer! She finished tenth again! What an accomplishment!" The Russians and the Chinese would have been like MUST. DO. BETTER!!!!! MUST!!!!!!!!!! WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Not that I think achievement in sport is a crucial thing, but still.) I find Canadians can be quite rah-rah-us but in a different way from Americans.
    Heh. I remember I went to an international skating competition held in Canada in the nineties and pretty much every Canadian skater got at least a partial standing ovation. (To be fair, so did a lot of non-Canadian skaters, but the Canadians didn't even have to be all that impressive to get one). OT, but it's odd how Canada's women's singles skaters are so much less competitive than our skaters in the other three disciplines. Never understood it. There was Rochette for a while and she was a real top contender, but now she might be done and once again it's looking pretty bleak.

I think what you're describing has a gender component as well as a national one. My favourite was when they had hockey in the Olympics for the first time (1998, I think?) and Canada's teams were being really hyped up to win gold going into it. The women's team made it to the final round but then lost, walking away with the silver. The local newspaper in my area ran the headline 'Canadian Women Lose Gold' or something like that, and people wrote in and complained. Because they won the silver and that is a very great accomplishment and winning isn't everything and we should be grateful for having such a fine team, etc. I don't see that happening in another country...but I don't see it happening with the Canadian men either.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

INTP

Germany, as has been said before, tends to have an ISTJ culture. At least traditionally.

If you want a movie portraying that traditional German culture in it's most extreme form: The White Ribbon
    @Nicodemus' suggestion is more fun though.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    XNTP
    Enneagram

Well I'll go further and give out a general type for a few US states

Indiana - ESFP and ENFJ tie

Ohio - ENFJ

New York - ESTJ

Alabama - ESFJ

Kentucky - ESFJ

Michigan - ENTJ

Florida - ENFP Florida gives off an ENFPish vibe to me, mainly from the time i visited.

Texas - ESTP

anyone else care to type specific US states?
    Always forward, never back!

"I always love talking to people and hearing their story. People always have a good life story to tell ya know?"

My blog in regular blogs

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    INTP

Germany, as has been said before tends to have an ISTJ culture. At least traditionally.

If you want a movie portraying that traditional German culture in it's most extreme form: The White Ribbon
    @Nicodemus' suggestion is more fun though.
    Yeah, ISTJ totally

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN8CsaSzzfY&feature=related"].[/YOUTUBE]
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

I'm INFP.
    I live in Italy and I see my country as an ESFP.
    INFP 9w8 5w4 4w5 sx/sp/so
    Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Te

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Living in the UK - now there's a country that's really down on itself! I love the UK in so many ways, but the only people here who would do the "well obviously we're the best country" thing would be crazy members of the racist BNP party.
    English people revel in their own cynicism - I'd say it's less down on itself, and more that it takes slight sadistic pleasure in its own failures. It gives people an excuse to whine. I figure that cynicism and the reserved nature of the nation mean that outspoken patriotism a la America is seen as... odd. The Scots are pretty much the same - they're in love with their own doom and gloom, but they manage to combine this with their own fiercely independent spirit to make outspoken patriotism (to Scotland, not the UK) work.

England - ISTx. Possibly ISTJ. Extremely reserved, find outspoken emotional outbursts frankly strange. Sticklers for traditionalism and conformism. Some people here are still convinced that imperialism was a good idea
    evening
    Pronunciation:/ˈiːv(ə)nɪŋ/
    noun: The period of time at the end of the day, usually from about 6 p.m. to bedtime; it was seven o’clock in the evening

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Evening View Post
    English people revel in their own cynicism - I'd say it's less down on itself, and more that it takes slight sadistic pleasure in its own failures. It gives people an excuse to whine. I figure that cynicism and the reserved nature of the nation mean that outspoken patriotism a la America is seen as... odd. The Scots are pretty much the same - they're in love with their own doom and gloom, but they manage to combine this with their own fiercely independent spirit to make outspoken patriotism (to Scotland, not the UK) work.

England - ISTx. Possibly ISTJ. Extremely reserved, find outspoken emotional outbursts frankly strange. Sticklers for traditionalism and conformism. Some people here are still convinced that imperialism was a good idea
    Yeah, you have a good point; maybe it is more cynicism, in a way. They certainly enjoy that! I do love the English. I feel quite at home here.

I also think that the English are quite glorious in hardship and defeat. Genuinely. It's the ol' spirit of the Blitz thing. Certainly in London I feel you often see people at their best in such situations. I'm not sure if the Scots and Welsh take the same approach or not!
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

France

Enneagram 4

ENFP
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan