User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    xxxx

Default You learn something new everyday!

Share something obscure you learned today here.

Today I learned that words with the letter k are funny. Really. I have a reference and everything.

In an article in the New Yorker published in 1936, H. L. Mencken argues that "k words" are funny. "K, for some occult reason, has always appealed to the oafish risibles of the American plain people, and its presence in the names of many ... places has helped to make them joke towns ... for example, Kankakee, Kalamazoo, Hoboken, Hohokus, Yonkers, Squeedunk, "Stinktown" and Brooklyn."
    If that's not good enough for you, there is this as further proof:
    In Neil Simon's play The Sunshine Boys, a character says, "Words with a k in it are funny. Alka-Seltzer is funny. Chicken is funny. Pickle is funny. All with a k. Ls are not funny. Ms are not funny."

MBTI
    INTP

Um... I don't really have a good one.

I learned where three of my friends live.

I learned that one of the problems I assigned has the wrong answer in the back of the book, and that a few of the students were trying to solve it the wrong way.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I learned yesterday actually just how painful tattoos really are!
    SDMF

MBTI
    INTP

On a scale of 1-10, how painful?

And for reference, on that same scale, where would you put, say, burning the crap out of your hand on a hot piece of metal?

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by pippi View Post
    Today I learned that words with the letter k are funny. Really. I have a reference and everything.

If that's not good enough for you, there is this as further proof:
    Your newly discovered fact meant that I learnt people are probably laughing at me not with me and I blame my parents for putting a K in my name

MBTI
    INTP

I learned that there is an algorithm that can describe the rate at which you forget things. It's actually very crucial in terms of learning and it can be timed so you refresh just as you're on the cusp of forgetting. The original idea behind the computer program that utilizes the algorithm was based on similar principles to the Rosetta stone software. Languages are really complex, and remembering and memorizing are a large part of learning them.

SuperMemo is based on the insight that there is an ideal moment to practice what you've learned. Practice too soon and you waste your time. Practice too late and you've forgotten the material and have to relearn it. The right time to practice is just at the moment you're about to forget. Unfortunately, this moment is different for every person and each bit of information. Imagine a pile of thousands of flash cards. Somewhere in this pile are the ones you should be practicing right now. Which are they?

Fortunately, human forgetting follows a pattern. We forget exponentially. A graph of our likelihood of getting the correct answer on a quiz sweeps quickly downward over time and then levels off. This pattern has long been known to cognitive psychology, but it has been difficult to put to practical use. It's too complex for us to employ with our naked brains.
    Want to Remember Everything You'll Ever Learn? Surrender to This Algorithm

And the wiki article for those who want a brief glance.

SuperMemo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    On a scale of 1-10, how painful?

And for reference, on that same scale, where would you put, say, burning the crap out of your hand on a hot piece of metal?
    Well it was in all honesty my first tattoo and it is taking up the entirety of my right forearm, it will be a full arm sleeve when its finished.

In general id say 6, definitely more painful than your "standard" pain provoking sensation, but tolerable. Certain spots though like the elbow id say 8, inside of wrist 9!

The healing process is a general annoying 3, but all worth it.

And im assuming your talking about a branding? Id say the palm, it would be more painful but still allow good functionality of your hand after it heals if you take care of it well. Cause the backside needs to stretch to much and would probably make that difficult when trying to grip something. But it would all depend on its size.

*hopes that was a serious question*

Edit: *feels stupid now* I suppose you where just asking how painful I think that would be LOL. Probably a 10 but im afraid burns, burnt my hand once with first degree burns and that was so painful i now kinda have a phobia of getting burned.
    SDMF

MBTI
    INTP

Pics or it didn't happen!
    Yeah, the burning thing was just for reference. You know, because some people would probably call a bee sting a 10 and others would call it a 2.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I plan on it when I get home, just check my profile out tomorrow and Ill have an album for it.

But yeah I agree, everyone has a different pain tolerance its actually quite intriguing in my opinion.
    SDMF

MBTI
    INTP

Hee, the K-sound thing is an old rule of comedy, and you don't have to have an actual k in there, as long as the sound is there...as in Cleveland. Also, for your further comic knowledge, things are funnier in threes.

That was an interesting memory tip, Aimahn. I'm going to try it.

I am embarrassed to admit that I didn't know until yesterday that there are actual lights that signal when a car is in reverse.
    Something Witty