User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    istp

I know how he feels. I don't usually understand my emotions nor do I know how to describe them. The only one I truly understand is anger. And I have to keep that one in check. I'm truly afraid that I might hurt someone or something if I tried to express it. The way I deal with that one is to look the person in the eye and tell them quietly and calmly, "stay the fuck away from me"

My wifes asks me to explain my emotions sometimes, and I can't.
    Scuse me, gotta run, some 'feeling type' is walking towards me trying to make something called conversation

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    ENTj

Skill: Knowing Your feelings and Expressing them.

1. Tune into what is going on in your body that helps you know what you are feeling.
    (Some clues are blushing, butterflies in your stomach, tight muscles, etc. - refer back to what you covered in the last exercise).

2. Decide what happened to make you feel that way
    (Focus on outside events such as a fight, a surprise, etc.)

3. Decide what you could call the feeling
    (Think about the different range of emotions; also think about how you can be experiencing different emotions at the same time)

4. Think about the different ways to express your feelings and pick one
    (Consider pro-social alternatives such as talking about feelings, doing a psychical activity to blow off steam, telling the object of the feeling about the feeling, walking away from emotional situations or delaying actions. Consider how, when where and to whom the feeling could be expressed).

5. Express your feeling

Using the questions below record how effectively you were able to use the above skill in a real life situation.

A) Why did you have to use it?

B) How well did you follow the steps?

C) What was the outcome?

I remember Psychology classes at Uni, there we were given stuff like that too, oh the pain.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I honestly don't like those either...
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Razor View Post

I remember Psychology classes at Uni, there we were given stuff like that too, oh the pain.
    This made my day.
    I bet they'll put something in the air tonight, just to light your face.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTJ

Of course I have emotions. I just don't know how to talk about them. And am confused as to am I supposed to write about a situation I was in or come up with a fictional situation.

Why do the females think its easy, I'd love to see them give it a try.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    There's a simple trick to this, Sona. You don't have to be honest.

Simply think of an emotion, such as 'anger'. Then think of what happens to a person's body when they get 'angry', such as their eyes becoming fixed, their muscles tightening up, and their blood pressure increasing. Even how their veins pop out, perhaps.

Then, come up with a situation that might cause someone to get 'angry'. Perhaps their child just spoke back to them. Perhaps someone told them that their beliefs were worthless and pathetic, or perhaps someone broke something that was important to them.

The third one will be easy, because you've already decided what emotion it is. You could be experiencing rage, anger, and fury. For additional background, simply think about what other emotions typically accompany or precede anger. Anxiety, hate, etc.

The fourth one basically asks you to give them some kind of unlikely false response that they want to hear, and associated with the above emotion. Just tell them you would consider talking it out with a councilor, going to the gym and punching a punching bag, or drawing a picture that expresses your anger.

The fifth one should be fairly easy. Just think of how an angry person usually acts, and extrapolate from that. Just say, "My blood is boiling. I am so furious that this person could possibly dare to treat me this way. They had no right to do that. I want to see them suffer. I want to make them pay. But I'm even angrier, because I know that I'll be the one who gets in trouble if I do anything to them. That's so unfair, and it makes me mad!"

Well, you can either try and come up with something on your own, or use what I wrote.

Thanks for this. Although I'll have to edit it a little not make them think I get way to angry, am already on anger management.

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

*giggles*

I finally got around to reading that

so easy

come on you can do it!
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

MBTI
    ENFj
    Enneagram
    2w3

LOL in other words you would like us to do your homework for you.
    "At points of clarity, I realize that my life on earth is meaningless, and that I am merely a pawn in a bigger game. A game I cannot possibly understand or have control of. Thankfully, before depression sets in, I drift back into my cloudy, bewildered daily routine." **Joel Patrick Warneke**

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Sona View Post
    Of course I have emotions. I just don't know how to talk about them. And am confused as to am I supposed to write about a situation I was in or come up with a fictional situation. Why do the females think its easy, I'd love to see them give it a try.
    There are both males and females who do this well, either by nature and/or by working hard at it; and there are males and females who do poorly at it either due to personality or lack of practice. There might be a slight gender bias, but I am not sure why you are dragging gender into it.

(Especially when men here -- some of them who would not be described as 'emotional' by nature in the least -- left you advice as well saying you really needed to get a handle on this, just as they did.)

I don't think it WILL be easy for you... but it's easier than you're realizing. It's more of a shift in your attitude and self-perception... like you are feeling like you need to strip down a car engine without any tools, but if you just turned your head slightly, you'd see that you had a full complement of tools laid out on the bench right next to you, and you just were overlooking them. And everyone else is pointing them out, but you're just having trouble noticing them.

In any case, I hope you work through it and do well on your assignment.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    infx

Quote Originally Posted by Sona View Post
    Of course I have emotions. I just don't know how to talk about them. And am confused as to am I supposed to write about a situation I was in or come up with a fictional situation.

To get my degree I had to do loads of reflective writing about my practice experiences with patients and my reactions to circumstances. I actually agree that it isn't that easy to write about and analyse your emotions if you're not used to it. What was hardest at first was choosing a situation to reflect upon as life is filled with little moments of emotion that we just take for granted sometimes.

I think the reason it was hard was because emotions happen to us quickly and we often react to them in our usual manner, one that we are used to;we react in a way which has become part of our personality over time. To stop and think about it seems somehow difficult but also like stating the obvious at the same time (I imagine it varies how much of each depending on how used to the process you are).

I think you should write from experience if you can. The exercise itself seems to be based around a present feeling you're experiencing. The point of the exercise is tomake you stop, recognise how you feel and to make reasonable and beneficial steps to improve the situation. This is how I read it at least.

I'm certain you're capable of doing it. I don't think you would be judged for discussing your feelings of anger. Anger management isn't about not feeling any anger, it's about how you manage your anger. This exercise is very in keeping with the principles of anger management. It's about teaching you to accept and value your emotions, and helping you to deal with them positively.

Good luck!