User Tag List

First 789

MBTI
    eSTP
    Socionics
    eSTp

I think a Beagle should be out of the question unless you'll have a big fenced yard.
    Power is the virtue that makes all other virtues possible.
    Youtube - Oversensitive Witches
    Scary Bedtime Prayer

MBTI
    INTP

I have an adorable, hilarious Shih Tzu, but a lot of guys would write them off as girl dogs. They're full of personality, though, and very sturdy--not frou-frou at all.

My friend just got a Norwich terrier puppy--such a spunky little pup, and loves to play and run around. They need about an hour of exercise a day, so they're good dogs to walk. Sooooo cute, too.

Looks like this:

Something Witty

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

omg! that's cute!
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Can nocap be my dog?
    He's adorable!

Don't you just want to cuddle him
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Whatever kind of dog this is.

But other than that I've always liked Shelties, i.e. Shetland sheepdogs. They're medium-sized dogs, and the amount of beautiful fur they have makes them seem a lot bigger than they really are. They're playful, smart, loving, affectionate. I've always just loved them. They can be so playful and sweet. Not to mention they're just beautiful.

English bulldogs are fun and cute too, but they do drool a lot. But if you don't mind that, maybe they're right up your alley.
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    But other than that I've always liked Shelties, i.e. Shetland sheepdogs. They're medium-sized dogs, and the amount of beautiful fur they have makes them seem a lot bigger than they really are. They're playful, smart, loving, affectionate. I've always just loved them. They can be so playful and sweet. Not to mention they're just beautiful.

I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    Awesome! Another sheltie lover!
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

MBTI
    INTP

Mempy--that top puppy might be a Pom? They sometimes look like tiny Chows to me.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    I also once knew a guy who had an Australian shepherd. I can't say that much about the breed, since I only knew it as a puppy, but it seemed fairly calm for a shepherd puppy. My friend said they're a very smart breed.
    Never heard of them, which Wiki explains is because they aren't Australian. Makes sense. Don't get any kind of sheepdog. They'll be way too high-maintenance in the exercise department.

Speaking from the highly biased perspective of someone who has never owned any other breed of dog, I recommend Daschunds. They're a pretty small dog which is good for minimizing exercise and feeding requirements, but they aren't yappy like other small dogs. They have surprisingly deep barks, which adds to their value as watchdogs. Going by bark alone, you'd swear they were at least labrador-size. That's the case for long-haired daschunds anyway -- I haven't had much experience with other varieties. They're not as hyper as Jack Russels, though they have way too much energy when young. But you'll probably get that with any breed. Because they have such short legs, they get twice the exercise from half the distance, but even so I doubt you'll be able to keep up with one unless you're on a bike. I used to exercise mine by riding on a skateboard while the dog pulled me along by the leash. They also have some serious attitude for a small dog. Mine never backed away from fights, even with dogs three times their size. I don't think they realize they're small. If I didn't think typing pets is an exercise in projection, I'd type both of my daschunds as ENTJ.

They're pretty smart and affectionate, but not fetchers. Both of my daschunds fetched once in their respective lives. After each one of them had brought the stick back only to witness me throw it away again, they didn't bother fetching anymore. I think it likely that they thought less of me. Personally, I think long-haired daschunds are extremely cool-looking dogs, though that may be in the same way that you tend to assume your good mates are attractive to ladies.

My recommendation of a suitably chick-pulling daschund (wire-haired):

My next dog will probably be a blue-heeler (Mad Max dog). Big enough to take care of itself and scare people when appropriate, and small enough not to require exorbitant amounts of food. Easily trained to a fairly high level. Fetchers as well, which makes exercise way easier.

One thing to bear in mind though is that once you get a dog you're taking on a 20ish year commitment. It's not like you can upgrade to a better version in a few years (unless you're a total bastard). Think of it a bit like a tattoo. Get something you're pretty sure you can live with longterm, rather than something you think would look cool now.

Edit: wtf? Why is that picture so big? It should be about 1/6th that size. Not life-sized. What's going on?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Those are good, intelligent and loyal dogs. My neighbors growing up had a nice one named Summer.
    If you would ever consider a German Shepherd, you will find none finer than those bred at Svetdanhaus Kennels in Plaquemine, Louisiana, USA.

http://www.k9pups.com/

Daniel Daigle, the owner, has been breeding Schutzhund (I-III) quality German Shepherds and Doberman Pinschers since the early 1970's.

He has a sister kennel in Russia, and goes to Eastern Europe frequently to scout for exceptional new dogs to integrate into his bloodline. He also recently opened a kennel in China for a private firm over there.

Daniel has a genuine love and respect for his work. Many of his animals are sold to law enforcement agencies and the military each year. Those that do not have the disposition to be trained as such still make wonderful pets, and that's my purpose of selecting this kennel as my own.

I deposited $1,000 with this kennel as when I graduate from my Master's program in a year and a half I will be picking up a Doberman.