User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    GONE

Default 'Intuition' - Pride Cometh Before A Fall

The caveat - I maybe perhaps once used to think I was a very intuitive person. My paranoia and secretiveness was tied into my intuition (yeah, and I'm *not* INFJ, go figure).

I got people. I understood people. I read people like open books.

Then I got over myself.

I think whether or not it's been verified that you are indeed an 'intuitive' person and can CORRECTLY 'get' other people's motives, thoughts, secrets, etc. -- you should NOT get too confident.

I've seen train seen wrecks of people, train wrecks, tell me that they are really good at reading other people and they "get" things.

I'm like, "Really????"

'Cause if you're so good at reading people and intuitively understanding human nature - how come you suck so hard at your own relationships??? x3

Seriously, not to be a hater, and I do agree that some people (or even some types) are better at picking up the unspoken better than others -- BUT, pride comes before a fall.

I think this kind of hubris, especially in regards to what you THINK you almost magically "understand" about other people but really you're just assuming about other people is very dangerous. And unfair. And most of the time from what I've seen, not even accurate.

Now, I do NOT think of myself as an intuitive person who 'gets' other people. I'm just me. You're just you. Until you *show* me something, I do not presume to understand you.

Thoughts?
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENTJ

My thoughts? Hooo boy this NEEDED to be said. So, I completely agree. I'm getting to the point with "I'm very good at reading people" that I'm already at with "I'm a *nice* guy!" - if you have to say it, it probably ain't true.

I posted this in another thread recently as well but this is one of those skills everyone thinks they have. Like being a good driver. Everyone thinks they're a good driver.

This sums it up for me:

Now, I do NOT think of myself as an intuitive person who 'gets' other people. I'm just me. You're just you. Until you *show* me something, I do not presume to understand you.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    INTJ

This is Ne which is exotic to me so I can't really add much to it.

As for relationships, my Ni is very good at fixing problems and giving other people advice but you are correct in an indirect way that when it comes to myself, all that "great intuition" goes out the window.

Relationships suck in that regard...in a good way However without the mistakes, it sort kills the challenge if you just intuitively know everything.

As a question to you, how would you like to be in a relationship where you could read everything? Wouldn't it get boring?

Of course as an opposite I did get complaints at times that I kept too much to myself in a relationship and took the burden on everything. Problem is that is what I just "do" and not doing so is not me. However, if I trust someone I share a lot more (and I guess some of my relationships my subconscious did NOT trust them so I kept it inside my wall).

MBTI
    ENTP

EDIT: I'm guessing my post had something to do with this. If it didn't then I guess just mentally block out all the parts where I seem personally offended :P. Some of this will come off the wrong way if what I posted a bit earlier isn't part of why you posted this.

I believe I am intuitive, but as I stated, I'm not always correct and and I can't always "get" every person or situation. I do find I have a very high success rate of being right though.

I generally don't act on my assumptions about people unless they prove my intuition correct. I'm not going to walk into a room, instantly label everyone, and treat them accordingly. There's a difference between being intuitive and being a presumptuous dick.

Am I full of myself for thinking I'm right most of the time? Probably. I see nothing wrong with that unless you act on your intuitions about other people that have not been proven true.

I may be weary of certain people or situations, but at the very most I'll just raise my level of caution and proceed as normal until I have a real reason not to.

I find it interesting that you're saying it's hubris to say you're an intuitive person, and that those people don't understand that what they may assume isn't accurate. Saying that in itself is contradictory, you're assuming that people who say they are intuitive have these characteristics before they show you otherwise.

Your post seems more like a rant towards people who say they are intuitive and then act on all their unfounded "insights". I do believe that I can understand the basics of someone's character quickly, but I will always judge based on their actions, not what I think their actions may lead to.
    The probability that I was procrastinating when I was typing this post:

P(have big assignment due) = 0.6
    P(posting on TypoC) = 0.2
    P(having big assignment due | posting on TypoC) = 0.7

P(posting on TypoC | having big assignment due) = .......

Eh, I'll finish it later.

MBTI
    INFP

Crackin' up CzeCze. Sounds like me - "I maybe, perhaps once used to think." Hee.

I'll check in with more thought tomorrow.

My first thought would be that we all have sides of us that are unfathomable either by ourselves or by others. Well, the Whole Johari Window thing, you know. You might see a drive in someone else but not perceive what the drive is about.

Feeling, I can be fairly certain about, but again, knowing what the feeling means to them could be impossible.

First thought that came to mind is that when I zero in on "something" that I feel an aversion to, I can usually count on that. But I often underestimate people' likeable qualities and need to hold off on opinions because people have a way of, you know, layers of stuff that you only get to see under slowly.

And I like to know what reasons people may have for striking me in a negative way as well. That helps quite a bit. So, to hang around and get to know them better. Like that?
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    I'm getting to the point with "I'm very good at reading people" that I'm already at with "I'm a *nice* guy!" - if you have to say it, it probably ain't true.
    Let's be friends! LOL.

PS Even when I thought I 'got' people, I never said it out loud. I intuitively thought it was not the thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
    As a question to you, how would you like to be in a relationship where you could read everything? Wouldn't it get boring?
    Read everyting correctly? That actually might be awesome! But, it's cheating, kinda like making people fall in love with you.

If I was with someone who was unable and unwilling to communicate their feelings to me, it would not be fair or correct to be matched with me, someone who magically 'got' them.

Newsflash: no one can read your mind. And no one should. If you want to make a relationship work, you have to make the effort to put yourself out there and tell people how you feel.

Actually, I think the goal of any 'successful' relationship is to get to know the other person well enough to understand them and their mannerisms, unspoken cues, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Cenomite View Post
    I'm guessing my post had something to do with this.
    Hmmm, no. Which one?

This thread was inspired by comments and situations presented to me IRL as well as some posts I've read on the forum, but yours wasn't one of them. Why do you say that?

I find it interesting that you're saying it's hubris to say you're an intuitive person, and that those people don't understand that what they may assume isn't accurate. Saying that in itself is contradictory, you're assuming that people who say they are intuitive have these characteristics before they show you otherwise.
    Hmm...x2 honestly, you totally lost me here! LOL. Not joking.

I will say that when I hear someone tell me they are "really good at reading people" or "can predict what will happen before it happens" etc. like Kangirl says, I take it with a VERY LIBERAL grain of salt. Or just presume the opposite is true. It actually has worked out pretty well IRL for me.

I think intuition does exist, can be developed, and is also very helpful in combination with experiential learning, for predicting behaviors and noticing dangerous and potentially toxic situations and people in your life. So by all means, raise your guard when you get a bad gut feeling about something.

Then again, the definition of 'intuition' here is muddled, not talking pure MBT, the cues we pick up from others isn't just our intuition talking, it's things we physically see, smell, etc.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INFP

Geez.

And I thought this thread was ligit. . .
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    GONE

Oh no! Why do you say that, Anja?

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post

Actually, I think the goal of any 'successful' relationship is to get to know the other person well enough to understand them and their mannerisms, unspoken cues, etc.
    I completely agree with you from a communication standpoint.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Don't you think your reaction is a bit extreme? Just because you can't be right all the time, or pick up on everything about a person doesn't mean you shouldn't use your intuition at all and rely only on what you're shown. That's extremely limiting for one thing, and it isn't necessarily a better approach, either... after all, what a person shows isn't always all there is to them or their potential. It seems like you're throwing the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak.