User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    GONE

Hmmm, it seems I need to clarify myself.

When I was talking about 'intuition' I wasn't necessarily talking about MBT's definition of "intuition" vs "sensing". If I had, I would've put it in 'other psycholog topics'.

I don't doubt that people intuitively "get things".

However, what I have noticed a lot of IRL and even in the forums is people who seem to be supremely confident that they have a 6th sense or are just so secure in their "intuition" that it really does border or become hubris and a blind spot.

I think in general, as a human you need to be open to the possibility that you may be wrong. And that your own particular life experience is exactly that - particular to yourself - and colors everything about you.

You may read someone wrong the first few times you meet them. Sometimes it pays to give people a chance or to enter into a social situation as 'equals' and not as someone who somehow has a 'leg up' on the situation because you have totally figured the other person out in 2 minutes.

Hubris is dangerous regardless what you have hubris about.

I'm not saying ignore your inner voice or intuition, I'm just saying take everything, even yourself, with a grain of salt. And be open to the idea of learning something new, flip your own script, give people a chance to surprise you Etc.

And again, just because you get the gut feeling something is true about someone, it doesn't mean it's true.

I really think some people are so invested in this image of themselves as "great people readers" or having an advantage in life that they need what they decide in the first 30 seconds of seeing someone to be true. So they continually read things into situations and actions and want to keep people in boxes. I think that's lame.

All of that above -- that's all I was trying to say.

Does that make sense?
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

heart on fire

The worst thing about talking to an Ni dom is when they assume they got what you mean and take off running with it and then when you finally convince them that what they gleaned from your first three words was NOT what you meant, then it's you who are in the wrong for not meaning what they thought you meant!

They knew better than you what you meant.

For me I get impressions, vague impressions and I'll feel the other person out (if it's a close relationship) to see if they are actually feeling what I think they are feeling and then the Ni dom will accuse me of being vague!

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    The worst thing about talking to an Ni dom is when they assume they got what you mean and take off running with it and then when you finally convince them that what they gleaned from your first three words was NOT what you meant, then it's you who are in the wrong for not meaning what they thought you meant!

They knew better than you what you meant.
    And admitting that to us Ni's you were wrong is the first step to recovery.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
    And admitting that to us Ni's you were wrong is the first step to recovery.
    The silent cold treatment usually works faster. Ni can't stand to lose their private audience.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    The silent cold treatment usually works faster. Ni can't stand to lose their private audience.
    Bah they need more willpower!

garbage

I know my intuition is more about reading situations and systems rather than people.. but it took me a couple of failures in that realm to realize that things won't always turn out as planned. I've also had an intuition about things, ignored it, and paid the price. So, it's all about knowing when your intuition might be right and when it might be wrong.

I'll say that there's nothing worse than someone who thinks that their intuition knows all, that they need no further data, and that their final plan is not up for discussion. Too strong of a J can be a very, very bad thing.

MBTI
    ENTJ

However, what I have noticed a lot of IRL and even in the forums is people who seem to be supremely confident that they have a 6th sense or are just so secure in their "intuition" that it really does border or become hubris and a blind spot.

I think in general, as a human you need to be open to the possibility that you may be wrong. And that your own particular life experience is exactly that - particular to yourself - and colors everything about you.
    CzeCze, I *TOTALLY* agree with this. I think it was me communicating badly. Really, I wholeheartedly agree with your post, above. My previous post was just saying that, a lot of the time, I think people who read 'super intuition' into themselves are simply exaggerating skillz that most people have anyway. It's pretty easy to figure out if someone is happy or upset, for example, no superpowers needed. It's more difficult to go further - so and so is upset because they have low self esteem, so and so disagrees with me because they secretly know I'm right and this upsets them etc.

I can be very hardcore when it comes to logical discussions (see the Does God Exist thread, for an example of a number of NTs doing this) but I know enough to realize that it's impossible to know other people's *feelings* and motivations - or even our own at times - without actually communicating with that person.

Did that make any sense?
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post

I think whether or not it's been verified that you are indeed an 'intuitive' person and can CORRECTLY 'get' other people's motives, thoughts, secrets, etc. -- you should NOT get too confident.

I've seen train seen wrecks of people, train wrecks, tell me that they are really good at reading other people and they "get" things.
    I've had this IRL when colleagues have confidently told me what I'm feeling, but they misread me completely. A trivial example - they assumed I was bored to tears in a meeting because I didn't say anything, but it was actually the opposite (I was fascinated by the discussion and was listening very carefully and thinking through the implications).

It does bug me when people say they can read people really well (on here and IRL). Do they ever ground truth their 'gut feel' about someone, or are they so confident that they're right that they don't listen when they're corrected?
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.