User Tag List

View Poll Results: So Edge doesn't have to rifle through 200 posts, are you an Aussie? Where you at?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • New South Wales

6 11.32%
  • Northern Territory

1 1.89%
  • Queensland

1 1.89%
  • South Australia

7 13.21%
  • Tasmania

1 1.89%
  • Victoria

5 9.43%
  • Western Australia

5 9.43%
  • ACT (the forgotten territory)

1 1.89%
  • Eastern Isles known as NZ

2 3.77%
  • I'm Aussie but mind your own freaken business as to where I live

3 5.66%
  • Ex-pat

1 1.89%
  • Protest! I'm not Aussie but wanna vote!

20 37.74%
First 172526272829 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    And that, house prices, is usually the other thing said when people talk how nice Perth is now days
    Yeah it drags like asphalt, luckily I'm only renting.
    And I also meant to add water, that water is a problem too and not enough infrastructure set up to cater to the influx in capacity of the overcrowding of the oh so lovely Perth city. With the current trend where we going to import water from, Antarctica. I can't wait, I mean yes rain water will certainly meet minimum requirements.

I just wish desalination plants were in effect en mass you know to unocean the ocean into drinking water. hahaha @ unocean. my logic never fails.

NO WAII! First eveh?!?! Damn. Glad you enjoyed it.
    Yeah, it went on for awhile and I was dazzled. Not the same without snogging rights, not enough snogging and hugging in my life. I could belch at blokey hugs because I am so optimistic that women will throw themselves at me because I am hot property. and miss piggy for astronaut of the year, my calf muscles are laughing already.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    They weren't looking for Australia, they weren't interested in Australia, they were star gazers. Lieutenant Cook was observing the transit of Venus from Tahiti, as it moved they continued west, come across New Zealand and then continued on until they reached the Australian mainland.

He charted NZ and the Australian east coast, claimed New South Wales (NSW) and declared Botany Bay should be settled. Seeing as Botany Bay was effectively swampland, when Arthur Philip arrived with his ships he found the next major gap in the shore, Sydney Harbour, and settled there. Botany Bay is now Sydney's airport.

Short answer: They were travelling west.
    Yes, that makes sense for the first explorers. But why when it came time to settle would they go clear around to the East? Surely they weren't coming from the Atlantic under S. America and across the Pacific to transport prisoners.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Yes, that makes sense for the first explorers. But why when it came time to settle would they go clear around to the East? Surely they weren't coming from the Atlantic under S. America and across the Pacific to transport prisoners.
    We sailed right down the Atlantic to the Cape of Good Hope. Then we took a deep breath and sailed south, until we could feel the Antarctic breathing down our necks with the great Antarctic Westerlies.

Then we set full sail, and flew across the bottom of the world, without interruption on the longest, deepest rollers in the world all the way to Hobart Town.

And still today, Hobart, the Capital of Tasmania, full of Antarctic Beech, is the last stopping off point for Antarctica.

Yes, it was the reliable Antarctic Westerlies, blowing across the bottom of the world, on which we flew to Hobart Town.

And what a trip it was under full sail, a full cargo, with only the albatross to keep us company.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    We sailed right down the Atlantic to the Cape of Good Hope. And what a trip it was under full sail, a full cargo, with only the albatross to keep us company.
    I have to say, Australian history is pretty fascinating. Apparently there are secret papers that instructed Cook to find this large southern landmass for the British empire... 'stralian folks - is this pretty well accepted since it's posted on the national archives or disputed?
    Australian National Archives: Documenting Democracy

The first fleet (settlers) set out after Cook's trip in 1769 -- here's a cool map. First Fleet - Stories

Victor - that really must have been a heck of a journey across from the Cape of Good Hope to Tasmania to the Eastern coast....Apparently there was a stop in Brazil on the way down to South Africa
    Biography of George Raper 1769–1796

Aside:
    You mean there was life before the Suez Canal was dug up (1869)?!?

This shows the saving of time comparing going through the Suez with going around the Cape of Good Hope since 1869!
    Suez Canal Authority

Thumbs down Abuse, Humiliation and Contempt.

Quote Originally Posted by ergophobe View Post
    This shows the saving of time comparing going through the Suez with going around the Cape of Good Hope since 1869!
    Yes, we were part of the British Empire east of Suez.

And we loved the British Empire, we hated the Japanese Empire, and discretion forbids me to mention the American Empire.

Suffice it to say that Suez was the jugular of British Empire, and that with all the discrete charm of the bourgeoise, they cut the throat of the British Empire at Suez without firing a shot, simply by threatening to crash the British pound.

And being the largest economy in the world for more than one hundred years, and owning, controlling and printing the Reserve Currency of the world, they were in a position to do so.

But they not only want power they want to be loved as well - like any abusers - but they are incorrigible, they destroyed the fledgling Australian film industry, using the same bourgeoise technique of threatening to crash the Australian pound.

They are obsessed with humiliation and contempt and marshall all their psychological defences to hide their obsession on these forums.

When a huge, nuclear powered Aircraft Carrier sails into Sydney Harbour, the Captain, resplendent in his Whites, fronts the TV cameras on the dock, and tells us he loves Australia and Australians. But we notice he has just recently said exactly the same thing to the Koreans, so we know he is saying, do love us even though my Carrier can destroy your Airforce in one fell swoop.

Abusers are obsessed with power and love, humiliation and contempt. And here we are in the wonderful position to observe them in action in the American business cult of MBTI.

MBTI
    INxj
    Enneagram
    4w5

I live in Victoria. But I am not Aussie (although I wouldn't mind being it at all).

Revolution, Civil War, Guns, the President and the Bill of Rights

We don' want no Revolution - 'cause the first casualty of Revolution is irony, and Revolutions go on to eat their children in Civil War.

So we don' want no Revolution, and we don' want no Civil War.

An' we don' want no President, 'cause our Queen stops any politician becoming Head of State or Commander-in-Chief.

An' we don' want no guns, 'cause the Right to Bear Arms is not included in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

And just today we said we don't want a Bill of Rights, 'cause our democratically elected Parliament looks after our Rights better.

We say what we don't want because we are a liberal democracy devoted to the limitation of power.

And what is not forbidden is permitted.

In this way, we maximise freedom - the greatest freedom for the greatest number - and no blood on the wattle.

MBTI
    crak
    Enneagram
    sax
    Socionics
    adhd

Default The Australian Accent

is NOT regional but class related.

is NOT what hollywood says it is.

has been broken down into three versions, board, standard and cultivated. Standard being the one spoken by the majority.

it's totally true:
    (check out the voice recordings of each variation.)

australian accent | Australian Voices

history & accent change | Australian Voices

Language and Identity in Australia

i'm not sure which variation i speak, i think i might be cultivated and moving toward standard occasionally, depending on the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    is NOT regional but class related.

is NOT what hollywood says it is.

has been broken down into three versions, board, standard and cultivated. Standard being the one spoken by the majority.
    Yes, our accents are class markers.

However we only have three so it is easy to tailor our accents to the audience. Politicians are particularly good at this.

I am amazed that the Yankees seem deaf to the class implications of accent. Perhaps because they have many regional accents and also because their class marker is money.

But the first thing I listen to is accent and I am somewhat repelled at first by the broad accent, but as I get to know them as a person, the accent doesn't matter and I take them as they are.

However I find I am attracted to those with a cultivated accent and I find they find each other. For instance the high Anglican Church has a cultivated accent while the Baptists next door have a standard accent. And I meet the broad accent more often at the Bakery.

I think accent puts migrants at some disadvantage as the nuances of accent are usually beyond them. And I tend to patronise them.

But interestingly the accent we hear at the movies is the Yankee accent but none of us are in any way moved to adopt the Yankee accent.

The other day I told a Yankee couple what a nice accent they had. And they were taken aback and came back at me and told me aggressively what a nice accent I had. So I was put in my place.

But what is interesting is that our accents are quite similar and equally distributed over the Continent.

Also our accent is in reaction to the British accents which are not readily accepted here.

It's amazing how subtle accent is and how pervasive.

And we maintain our own accent even in the global village.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

So what do you convicts think of this? Yet another example of your lack of sporting ethics.

Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations