User Tag List

View Poll Results: So Edge doesn't have to rifle through 200 posts, are you an Aussie? Where you at?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • New South Wales

6 11.32%
  • Northern Territory

1 1.89%
  • Queensland

1 1.89%
  • South Australia

7 13.21%
  • Tasmania

1 1.89%
  • Victoria

5 9.43%
  • Western Australia

5 9.43%
  • ACT (the forgotten territory)

1 1.89%
  • Eastern Isles known as NZ

2 3.77%
  • I'm Aussie but mind your own freaken business as to where I live

3 5.66%
  • Ex-pat

1 1.89%
  • Protest! I'm not Aussie but wanna vote!

20 37.74%
First 16242526272836 Last

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by mr.awesome View Post
    i sometimes pretend to be austrailian on the internet so i can say 'mate'.
    You mean 'stralian, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    Today I'll be chilling out with my friends that I've missed speaking with since New Years. First time I'm going to celebrate Australia Day properly by going to a party/barbecue and then see the skyworks.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
    I ended up hanging out with a bunch of nerds drinking beer, watching the cricket and listening to Triple J's hottest 100. Have had this on repeat ever since:

[Little Lion Man]

woohooo

Had my Hottest 100 party hat on as well, I wasn't so impressed with the top 10 this year and I found Little Lion Man in #1 odd =/

Not that I dislike the song or anything, I'm mostly ambivalent to it. Don't think I listened to enough radio this year, I only guessed 4 of the top 10.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

I'm here just to say 'stralian. I enjoyed that very much, thank you!

So, I've wondered for some time, what differences would y'all say exist between the East coast and West coast in Australia - people, places, food...

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ergophobe View Post
    I'm here just to say 'stralian. I enjoyed that very much, thank you!

So, I've wondered for some time, what differences would y'all say exist between the East coast and West coast in Australia - people, places, food...
    East coast = where most of the convicts landed.

West coast = where most of the convicts didn't want to go.

Naw, east coast hosts our largest, and most amount of cities; Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane (and Canberra but they don't count) and has touristy things like a funny shaped opera house, big bridge and pretty things in the water. I've never visited the west coast but have heard good things about Perth (yes, there's only 1 major city taking up the massive chunk known as all of Western Australia, the convicts reeeeeeally didn't want to go there) haven't visited our city up north either, haven't heard great things about that one though

East Coast
    Sydney: Overrated. I don't love, it's bigger and faster than anywhere else in Oz. The ferries are awesome though. New Castle: Good football team.
    Melbourne: I do love but is still big, I find it more laid back and while I do think it's still dirty the air isn't quite as thick as inner Sydney.
    Most of Oz is very multicultural but I've seen it most in those two cities.
    Brisbane: Hot but pretty, in summer one can cancel out the other. Some great beaches. Gold Coast: Could be pretty but alas it's mostly tacky.
    Canberra: Doesn't count (sorry Victor) ooh, but they have a roundabout.

Island state
    Tasmania: Prettiest place around. Our island state down below downbelow is effectively passed out due to its laid-backness.

North
    Darwin: Moving on...

West
    Perth: Heard it's one of the greatest places around now.

South
    Adelaide: Home.

The important thing tho: Wine. Anywhere you go you're sure to find good stuff, 30-40 minutes in either direction from my house will land me in two of South Australia's prime, internationally acclaimed wine regions.

I don't really notice a big difference in people between cities, the pace of life has an impact but I generally find people friendly and easy going in the city areas. The scenery changes but for me personally the biggest thing I notice is the changes in weather. North-East coast has horrid humidity, Tassy get's icy cold and the middle of Oz is hot and blistery.

All that is of course my own subjective view that can be torn to threads by pissed off Canberries and proud Sydneysiders... now!

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    It's true, everyone gets lost on the roundabouts.

But of course Canberra was deliberately designed by Walter Burley Griffin and his wife Marion to disorientate every visitor on the roundabouts.

Canberra is designed to be round to reflect the principles of Theosophy.

Yes, although Canberra is the youngest of cities it is designed on the age old principle of the Holy City. It's very design reflects the connection between the earth, the water and the sky. It reflects the connection between Earth and Heaven.

But most of all it is designed to disorientate, for we need to be disorientated to learn something new.

And in Canberra, at the Australian National University, ranked 14th in the world, we learn something new every day.

But the price of learning something new is disorientation so we can orientate ourselves to the new.

Of course the rest of Australia loves to bash Canberra because we make the decisions for the life of the nation.

But if you have a taste for the new, come and get a little disorientated on our roundabouts.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

I once spent 7 hours stuck on the Parliament house roundabout, going round and round and round before I ran out of petrol. First time ever a car breaking down saved by my life

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

East coast = where most of the convicts landed.
    West coast = where most of the convicts didn't want to go.
    Nothing like the Aussies pulling their own legs....

Perhaps a totally silly question, why did they land on the East coast? Wouldn't the West coast have technically been closer for them sailing from Britain? My Ne is seeking a pattern as to why they seem to have predominantly developed colonies on eastern coasts...makes sense for North America but less so for Africa and India.

Naw, east coast hosts our largest, and most amount of cities; Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane (and Canberra but they don't count) and has touristy things like a funny shaped opera house, big bridge and pretty things in the water. I've never visited the west coast but have heard good things about Perth (yes, there's only 1 major city taking up the massive chunk known as all of Western Australia, the convicts reeeeeeally didn't want to go there) haven't visited our city up north either, haven't heard great things about that one though

East Coast
    Sydney: Overrated. I don't love, it's bigger and faster than anywhere else in Oz. The ferries are awesome though. New Castle: Good football team.
    Melbourne: I do love but is still big, I find it more laid back and while I do think it's still dirty the air isn't quite as thick as inner Sydney.
    Most of Oz is very multicultural but I've seen it most in those two cities.
    Brisbane: Hot but pretty, in summer one can cancel out the other. Some great beaches.
    Gold Coast: Could be pretty but alas it's mostly tacky.

Island state
    Tasmania: Prettiest place around. Our island state down below downbelow is effectively passed out due to its laid-backness.

North
    Darwin: Moving on...

West
    Perth: Heard it's one of the greatest places around now.

South
    Adelaide: Home.
    Cool. Would love to visit Tasmania some day and Papua New Guinea!

The Great Barrier Reef is one of my top five in the world but have to get diving certified before going.

Wow - didn't realize the West only had one major city. Does the West also have more aboriginal settlements or did I make that up?

The important thing tho: Wine. Anywhere you go you're sure to find good stuff, 30-40 minutes in either direction from my house will land me in two of
    South Australia's prime, internationally acclaimed wine regions.
    Nice. What kind of 'stralian wine do you like? Something I could find here in the States? I like that about the Northwestern and Southwestern part of the States too - so much great local wine. Not so much in the South East. But hey, we have moonshine!

I don't really notice a big difference in people between cities, the pace of life has an impact but I generally find people friendly and easy going in the city areas. The scenery changes but for me personally the biggest thing I notice is the changes in weather. North-East coast has horrid humidity, Tassy get's icy cold and the middle of Oz is hot and blistery.
    Makes sense. I guess big cities have that commonality about them every where. So, I'm guessing the summer is not a good time to visit the North East eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It's true, everyone gets lost on the roundabouts.

But of course Canberra was deliberately designed by Walter Burley Griffin and his wife Marion to disorientate every visitor on the roundabouts.

Canberra is designed to be round to reflect the principles of Theosophy.

Yes, although Canberra is the youngest of cities it is designed on the age old principle of the Holy City. It's very design reflects the connection between the earth, the water and the sky. It reflects the connection between Earth and Heaven.

But most of all it is designed to disorientate, for we need to be disorientated to learn something new.

And in Canberra, at the Australian National University, ranked 14th in the world, we learn something new every day.

But the price of learning something new is disorientation so we can orientate ourselves to the new.

Of course the rest of Australia loves to bash Canberra because we make the decisions for the life of the nation.

But if you have a taste for the new, come and get a little disorientated on our roundabouts.
    Thanks Victor! I've wanted to visit ANU for some time. Keep bumping into colleagues at conferences. Funny, you made me think of the design of Atlanta. A friend of mine who studies city planning said that the city was deliberately not built on a grid to make it more difficult for the poor and outsiders to find their way. They sure achieved that goal!

So, really, no major food difference across the coasts? Doesn't the weather affect different diets?

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ergophobe View Post
    Perhaps a totally silly question, why did they land on the East coast? Wouldn't the West coast have technically been closer for them sailing from Britain? My Ne is seeking a pattern as to why they seem to have predominantly developed colonies on eastern coasts...makes sense for North America but less so for Africa and India.
    They weren't looking for Australia, they weren't interested in Australia, they were star gazers. Lieutenant Cook was observing the transit of Venus from Tahiti, as it moved they continued west, come across New Zealand and then continued on until they reached the Australian mainland.

He charted NZ and the Australian east coast, claimed New South Wales (NSW) and declared Botany Bay should be settled. Seeing as Botany Bay was effectively swampland, when Arthur Philip arrived with his ships he found the next major gap in the shore, Sydney Harbour, and settled there. Botany Bay is now Sydney's airport.

Short answer: They were travelling west.

Wow - didn't realize the West only had one major city. Does the West also have more aboriginal settlements or did I make that up?
    Not really, it's the largest state tho. In terms of numbers there are more aborigines in NSW and Queensland (QLD) than Western Australia (WA) and there is a higher percentage of aborigines in Northern Territory (NT). They make up around 2.5% of the total population but 32% in NT, that would be where you'd find most settlements (I believe, someone can correct me if I'm wrong).

Nice. What kind of 'stralian wine do you like? Something I could find here in the States? I like that about the Northwestern and Southwestern part of the States too - so much great local wine. Not so much in the South East. But hey, we have moonshine!
    All of em. No really

Mostly like big reds, my favourite winemaker is D'arenbergs, never tasted a bad drop out of their cellar. Some of the Oz made for export wine is great, some is horrid, the beauty is in the discovering.

Makes sense. I guess big cities have that commonality about them every where. So, I'm guessing the summer is not a good time to visit the North East eh?
    I fail in hot weather, but I tend to feel it more than most so my pov is biased Let's just say I wouldn't live here without aircon.

So, really, no major food difference across the coasts? Doesn't the weather affect different diets?
    Culture would more. Oz is very multicultural so has all sorts of influences.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

They weren't looking for Australia, they weren't interested in Australia, they were star gazers. Lieutenant Cook was observing the transit of Venus from Tahiti, as it moved they continued west, come across New Zealand and then continued on until they reached the Australian mainland.

He charted NZ and the Australian east coast, claimed New South Wales (NSW) and declared Botany Bay should be settled. Seeing as Botany Bay was effectively swampland, when Arthur Philip arrived with his ships he found the next major gap in the shore, Sydney Harbour, and settled there. Botany Bay is now Sydney's airport.

Short answer: They were travelling west.
    Thank you...makes sense now. So Cook landed on the East coast and the prisoners came later? So frigging cool. Isn't it unfortunate that we can't discover continents any more following planets...

They make up around 2.5% of the total population but 32% in NT, that would be where you'd find most settlements (I believe, someone can correct me if I'm wrong).
    Cool. I saw some dream art years ago and it really left an impression. Some day, will make it across...

All of em. No really
    Shocking

Mostly like big reds, my favourite winemaker is D'arenbergs, never tasted a bad drop out of their cellar. Some of the Oz made for export wine is great, some is horrid, the beauty is in the discovering.
    Discovering, lingering, the luxury of trying things you may not like!?! Blasphemy. Actually, spoken like a true ENP. Thanks for the suggestion - will look for D'arenbergs here. I prefer reds too - Australian Shiraz especially. Pinot Noirs from the North west U.S. too. Actually, I'll pretty much drink anything besides Merlots (with exceptions) and Chardonnays (too dry mostly).

You know there's this thread on love for food/beverages...

I fail in hot weather, but I tend to feel it more than most so my pov is biased Let's just say I wouldn't live here without aircon.
    Amen.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Yes Trinity knows her details.

And most certainly WA is picking up speed in terms of popularity and rent is ridiculously higher due to this trend which sucks. At the same time I do wonder how much people can WA maintain with a constant short fall and hot weather. I once mistook shandy for chardonnay, can't say I'll try that again.

And how much fun was my first ever non tv fireworks show, I liked Australia Day, was a pleasant day spent at the river fireworks.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ergophobe
    Cool. I saw some dream art years ago and it really left an impression. Some day, will make it across...
    Sydney sometimes has some cool exhibitions going through their art museum.

The Barrier Reef in QLD is worth the visit imo.

And Tassy is gorgeous. Unless wine tours were on the cards, or one was keen on seeing the dusty, red, inhospitable centre, they'd be the three places I'd suggest visiting if you ever made it over.

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    And most certainly WA is picking up speed in terms of popularity and rent is ridiculously higher due to this trend which sucks. At the same time I do wonder how much people can WA maintain with a constant short fall and hot weather.
    And that, house prices, is usually the other thing said when people talk how nice Perth is now days

I once mistook shandy for chardonnay, can't say I'll try that again.

And how much fun was my first ever non tv fireworks show, I liked Australia Day, was a pleasant day spent at the river fireworks.
    NO WAII! First eveh?!?! Damn. Glad you enjoyed it.