User Tag List

View Poll Results: So Edge doesn't have to rifle through 200 posts, are you an Aussie? Where you at?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • New South Wales

6 11.32%
  • Northern Territory

1 1.89%
  • Queensland

1 1.89%
  • South Australia

7 13.21%
  • Tasmania

1 1.89%
  • Victoria

5 9.43%
  • Western Australia

5 9.43%
  • ACT (the forgotten territory)

1 1.89%
  • Eastern Isles known as NZ

2 3.77%
  • I'm Aussie but mind your own freaken business as to where I live

3 5.66%
  • Ex-pat

1 1.89%
  • Protest! I'm not Aussie but wanna vote!

20 37.74%
First 13212223242533 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Victoria

The Possum

A possum's diet is mainly plant-based i.e. leaves, fresh gum tips and flowers; however, they also occasionally eat insects, eggs and meat. An open compost bin in a backyard becomes an enticing smorgasbord for a hungry urban possum.

Possums are nocturnal and omnivorous, hiding in a nest in a hollow tree during the day, and coming out during the night to forage for food. They fill much the same role in the Australian ecosystem that squirrels fill in the northern hemisphere, and are broadly similar in appearance.

There are pygmy possum too.

White Lemuroid Possum may be extinct

Common Heath

The Common Heath comes in a variety of colours scarlet, crimson, rose pink and white.

The tubular flowers of the Common Heath have nectar at the bottom and pollen near its opening. Pollination occurs thanks to Honeyeaters who put their beaks deep into the flower so that they can drink the nectar and in the process they pick up pollen on their heads. The microscopic pollen grains have narrow fins on them which are designed to slide between the edges of feathers so that they are carried away by the bird.

Which brings me to the Honeyeater

Although honeyeaters look and behave very much like other nectar-feeding passerines around the world (such as the sunbirds and flowerpeckers), they are unrelated, and the similarities are the consequence of convergent evolution.

Honeyeaters prefer to flit quickly from perch to perch in the outer foliage, stretching up or sideways or hanging upside down at need. Many genera have a highly developed brush-tipped tongue, longer in some species than others, frayed and fringed with bristles which soak up liquids readily.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Northern Territory

Red Kangaroo

The red kangaroo is the world's largest marsupial.

And they pack a wallop.

The female is often called the "blue flyer" because of her blue-grey fur. In the eastern part males are usually red (pale red to brick red) and females a bluish grey, elsewhere, both sexes may be reddish/brown.

Red kangaroos normally move in groups ("mobs") ranging from a few dozen to several hundred animals.

Sturts Desert Rose

Its a woody shrub, closely related to cultivated cotton and has a life cycle of 10 years. The colour of the petals can range from pale pink to dark purple to maroon. The five petals are arranged in a whorl and have a dark red centre. There is a small cotton spore in the centre of the flower. They can be seen for most of the year but peak in late winter. They are up to 12 cm in diameter. The leaves are different shades of green, round and strongly scented when crushed.

Wedge Tailed-Eagle

The Wedge-tailed Eagle or Eaglehawk (Aquila audax) is the largest raptor in Australia and is the most common of all the world's large eagles. It has long, fairly broad wings, fully feathered legs, and an unmistakable wedge-shaped tail. Because of both its tail and its size it is one of the largest birds of prey in the world it can be identified at a glance as a "Wedgie" even by the non-expert.

They are highly aerial, soaring for hours on end without wingbeat or effort, regularly reaching 6000 feet (1800 m) and sometimes considerably higher. The purpose of this very high flight is unknown. Their keen eyesight extends into the infrared and ultraviolet bands. This helps them spot prey and allows them to see rising thermals, which they can use to gain altitude while expending little energy.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Tasmania

Tasmanian Devil

The size of a small dog, but stocky and muscular, the Tasmanian Devil is now the largest carnivorous marsupial in the world.

It is characterised by its black fur, pungent odour when stressed, extremely loud and disturbing screech, and ferocity when feeding. It is known to both hunt prey and scavenge carrion and although it is usually solitary, it sometimes eats with other devils.

Tasmanian Blue Gum

Like most gums, the Tasmanian blue gum is fast-growing and strong with smooth bark, making it suitable for the rugged Australian landscape. They may grow over 225 feet in height (75 m). The foliage of the blue gum is a greyish blue, hence the name.

The Wattle Bird

The Little Wattlebird also known as the Brush Wattlebird, is a honeyeater, a passerine bird.

South Australia

Wombat

Wombats are a mostly nocturnal herbivorous marsupial mammal and live in burrows. They are the largest herbivorous burrowing animals in the world.

They have a stout body, blunt head and broad paws with strong claws making it a powerful earth-mover, burrowing up to 2 metres a night. A typical burrow is about 50 cm high and 50 cm wide and can be up to 30 metres long with several chambers including nursery burrows.

Burrows provide wombats with protection from predators, weather and bushfires. A predator following a wombat into its burrow can be crushed against the roof by the wombat's powerful rump, however, a wombat will abandon the burrow if a snake moves in.

Sturts Desert Pea

Famous for its distinctive blood-red leaf-like flowers, each with a bulbous black centre, or "boss". It is one of Australia's best known wildflowers.

Magpie

The Australian Magpie is omnivorous, with the bulk of its varied diet made up of invertebrates. It is generally sedentary and territorial throughout its range.

There are gold billed magpies

I don't like magpies.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Well there you have it, amazing wildlife right here in Australia.

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Woo! Post more.
    ~ Truth ~ Freedom ~ Health ~ Love ~ Communication ~ Humor ~ Respect ~

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

[youtube="bqev3aS-uYA"]Owl[/youtube]

I found this on a blog I read today (Nerdist) with this introductory sentence:

These simple, yet adorable creatures are entertaining to watch no matter what they do. Im referring, of course, to Australians.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I found this on a blog I read today (Nerdist) with this introductory sentence:
    You can't be too careful with owls.
    Where's me Aussies at?-075-jpg

I'm not quite sure what their game-plan was though. No open window, no exit to herd the owl towards -- were they hoping the owl would get scared and have itself beamed up to the mothership? They didn't seem like they were looking to kill it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EIE

Pages and pages on vegemite, rivalry with Kiwi's (by the way I love the South Island - heaven on earth!), and our losing of the Ashes - what a lovely refelection of Australian society; probably pretty accurate, sadly. haha! Nah I love the joint. But let's get down to business.

Tell me your thoughts on the following:

K Rudd or Johnny? - or if you actually want a party that aint conservative there's the Greens

Don't you reckon people from Adelaide sound like they're from England?! Seriously, something malfunctioned in the evolution of that colonies accent.

Kev's Sorry speech - about bloody time!!! Sad that it was more a reaction to Liberal domination... but still, amazing! A great day.

If you play footy - whats your posi? I was always full forward or in the pocket, being an unfit lank-dog, too weak for the ruck haha.

Melbourne Demons - will we ever stop being so shit?! Jurrah might do us some good. But I just want Neitzy back up forward, and Yze.

May as well not go into war of the cities - there's been enough ill feeling here with our kiwi pals. But Melbourne we got culture and class. heh heh.

What's the favourite cultural, and then architectural element to your city?
    For me, I love the Melbourne band scene, like heading to WOW and hearing my mates play... good fashion up round Brunswick as well. Architecture: Melbourne Uni's old, sandstone buildings.

Favorite places? -- I have so many. I love the red centre... its an entirely different world out there, definitely intend to spend a few years somewhere in the Territory.
    My favorite place in Victoria - WILSON'S PROMONTORY.
    So many good memories, and the most beautiful scenery, can't wait to get back there for another hike next month.

Are you city, suburbs or rural?
    I'm a fringedweller of suburbs and rural, and love it - 54 minutes to Flinders Street on an express train, 3 minutes to beautiful acreages and farmland.

Education and demographic:
    Do you have to be an International student at Carey or Melbourne Grammar to get a 99.95 ENTER? Seems like it.

Do you like compulsory school uniform for all schools?
    I went to and an small Independant school with free dress for most of my schooling years, and then moved to a big Catholic School with shirt, tie and blazer. Uniform was actually way better, I thought. (Perhaps that's just my tendancy to want to organise everyone!)

National Type - Are Aussies just seen as a bunch of sporty, sexy Artisans?
    Coz I say we got some charming, interesting, educated, somewhat sporty, sexy, Idealists too!

>>> Well, there's some questions I'd be interested to hear about. Not enough Australians around on here I say!

I don't know much about the other stuff, I'm a Kiwi, but you're right, the South Island is beautiful.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by bronson View Post
    K Rudd or Johnny? - or if you actually want a party that aint conservative there's the Greens
    Six to one, half a dozen the other. Before the Democrats shot their party in the foot they had policies I could get on board with. Rudd has got a fair number of things right though imo.

Don't you reckon people from Adelaide sound like they're from England?! Seriously, something malfunctioned in the evolution of that colonies accent.
    1. Yes.
    2. We're proud of being able to actually speak English.
    3. Evolution didn't malfunction, we just come from a higher class of immigrant aka free settlers, our ancestors could e-nun-ci-ate. Fun fact: They were also the only state where settlers didn't sign their name with an 'x'
    4. Jealousy isn't becoming of you.

If you play footy - whats your posi? I was always full forward or in the pocket, being an unfit lank-dog, too weak for the ruck haha.
    Half-back line/winger when I played.

Melbourne Demons - will we ever stop being so shit?!
    You already know the answer to this, don't you *solemnly rests hand on shoulder without saying a word*

What's the favourite cultural, and then architectural element to your city?
    Adelaide has the largest Fringe Festival outside of Edinburgh, definitely the best time of year here, plus the wine regions of course *drools*. Architectural? We have lotsa churches if that's your thang *shrug*

Favorite places?
    Kay, let's make it clear that it's favourite for as long as you're in this thread!

I am quite fond of Melbourne city but the wine and beach regions in SA are pretty awesome.

Are you city, suburbs or rural?
    Is Adelaide city or rural