User Tag List

View Poll Results: So Edge doesn't have to rifle through 200 posts, are you an Aussie? Where you at?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • New South Wales

6 11.32%
  • Northern Territory

1 1.89%
  • Queensland

1 1.89%
  • South Australia

7 13.21%
  • Tasmania

1 1.89%
  • Victoria

5 9.43%
  • Western Australia

5 9.43%
  • ACT (the forgotten territory)

1 1.89%
  • Eastern Isles known as NZ

2 3.77%
  • I'm Aussie but mind your own freaken business as to where I live

3 5.66%
  • Ex-pat

1 1.89%
  • Protest! I'm not Aussie but wanna vote!

20 37.74%
First 12202122232432 Last

Default A Big Ask

Just imagine, ten million people with undisputed sovereignity over a whole Continent and out-lying islands, as well as undisputed sovereignity over a part of the oceans larger than the Continent itself, want half of another Continent.

This is a big ask.

We wanted one Continent for ourselves and a spare.

So we had to ask with all the cunning of a fox while appearing to be harmless, good intentioned Aussies.

We didn't want anyone mining on our second Continent, and we didn't want military bases on our other Continent. And in fact we didn't even want tourists on our spare.

So naturally we said, it is not for us it is for future generations.

And just as we keep the second oldest National Park in the world, the Royal National Park, for future generations, we wanted to turn one whole Continent, Antarctica, into a National Park.

We had to persuade one country with twelve Aircraft Carriers to agree as well as all of the other nations with claims on Antarctica.

And just as we gained our Independence over cups of tea, and just as we united a whole Continent over cups of tea, we turned a whole Continent into a National Park over tea.

And the Antarctic Treaty remains the most successful land treaty in the world.

Sure, it was a big ask but we noticed that there are four Continents in a staight line on the globe - North America, South America, Antarctica and Australia. And we are right at the end of this line of pearls.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

I'm a bit bored. Feels like posting emblems of WA, welcome to your new tour guide. Wheeh, anyway each state can go for it, spruce up your state, point out the features if you like.

Western Australia

Introducing the, cough, killer...NUMBAT. Look at those vicious perforating claws that'll scratch your eye sockets out of your skull. Just waiting to rip your throat out. And those killer eyes with death rays and mandible jaws of destruction, mwhahahaha, gawd why are Nubat's so sickeningly cute.

Well lets see some factoids about the Numbat.

Actually I wish they had fangs but in fact they feed on termites and a Numbat's sticky tongue is half as long as its head and body combined.
    A Numbat has 52 poorly developed teeth. It uses it's mouth to shift small branches and to carry nesting materials.
    A Numbat's non scientific name means striped-feeder-on-ants, just as well they can live in logs near where the food is.
    They are one of the few species of marsupial that does not have a pouch.
    They are one of the few marsupial species that is diurnal rather than nocturnal, which means active during the day time.

Next we gets to the Kangaroo Paw

Nope this ain't a lucky kangaroo's foot, in fact this is a flower and they can irritate your skin.
    Species include the Green Kangaroo Paw, which ranges in colour from lemon yellow to emerald green, and the Catspaw, which has smaller red, orange and gold flowers.

Different species of the unusually shaped Kangaroo Paw usually deposit pollen on different areas of the birds' head. Thus, pollen from one species is unlikely to deposit in the flowers of another species. Kangaroo Paw are also pollinated by honeyeaters or wattlebirds. Not like venus fly traps, how shocking would that be, there the poor birds trying to pollinate a kangaroo paw and wham-O out comes the claws.

Black Swan.

Black swans are vegetarians eating mostly algae and weeds, they occasionally graze on land but are clumsy walkers.

They are black with a white band on the end of their wings which are visible when they fly and have bright red eyes.
    The term 'swan song' comes from the ancient Greek belief that a swan sang a song of death when its life was about to end.
    Male swans are called cobs, females are pens, and young are cygnets.
    Swan parents will carry cygnets on their back while swimming, enabling the parents to regain weight lost to the rigors of mating, egg laying, incubation, simultaneous feeding, and brooding. This practice also provides protection for the downy cygnets.

That was an interesting read. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Aussie right here

NSW

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    Feels like posting emblems of WA, welcome to your new tour guide.

Black Swan.

Black swans are vegetarians eating mostly algae and weeds, they occasionally graze on land but are clumsy walkers.

They are black with a white band on the end of their wings which are visible when they fly and have bright red eyes.
    The term 'swan song' comes from the ancient Greek belief that a swan sang a song of death when its life was about to end.
    Male swans are called cobs, females are pens, and young are cygnets.
    Swan parents will carry cygnets on their back while swimming, enabling the parents to regain weight lost to the rigors of mating, egg laying, incubation, simultaneous feeding, and brooding. This practice also provides protection for the downy cygnets.
    I think of you every time I walk up Perth Avenue which radiates from the Senate side of New Parliament House and points directly at Perth. So I always know where you are.

And I remember you as I walk by Lake Burley Griffin 'cause it is full of Black Swans, native of course to Perth. I am surprised at how big they are and how much they like being hand fed. But most of all I am enthralled as they take flight. They are elegant and powerful and magical in flight, particularly when they fly in formation like a flight of F111 fighter bombers. In truth they own the lake. The only competition they get is from the utterly magical hot air balloons. But somehow these huge, colourful balloons and the Black Swans in flight seem to complement one another - magic calls to magic.

We think of you guarding our Western flank - looking out over the Indian Ocean to the West and to the Antarctic Ocean to the South, but at the same time being a gateway to the North. You look to all points of the compass except East, and we make up for that by looking West to you, into the setting Sun.

MBTI
    crak
    Enneagram
    sax
    Socionics
    adhd

Quote Originally Posted by sanveane View Post
    ^Lol.

Not a fan of the GC at all, I must say. With the possible exception of my father's little enclave, it feels completely desolate in that glitzy-exterior/void-of-an-interior-and-trying-to-fill-the-void way. All that relentless sunshine and leathery skin and the archetypal GC culture.

I couldn't wait to head off to more wintry climes and temperaments.
    aww, really? sounds fair although i really enjoy the atmosphere there as well as anywhere else along the southern QLD coast. southern NSW is too cold, northern QLD is too hot. (oh great, now i sound like goldie-locks)
    i also enjoy melbourne and i think sydney is sometimes a beautiful place.
    you like wintry places... but they're wintry! O.o *brrrrr!*
    it's funny how people are different like that

MBTI
    crak
    Enneagram
    sax
    Socionics
    adhd

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Canberra is for those who want to learn, to work and create.

When you are tired of Canberra, you are tired of life and go and live on the Gold Coast.
    sounds about right.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Just think of the market, Numbat's for termite reduction, place logs near houses and walla, I'll take all the royalties, would have been a cool idea if foxes weren't introduced, now they take out anything indiscriminately besides rabbits and poor Numbat's are on their menu.

Lets continue this touring across Australia feature. I did enjoy presenting a bit of WA flaura and fauna, I am a picture fan and have made shorts for each state, okay more like cut and past but fun nonetheless.

I want to talk a bit about Queensland because I have lived there for a few years and I have a bit of a nostalgia for the state. I was there when the Brisbane Lions won the multiple premierships. During my time went along to check out The Sunshine and Gold Coast, took me a fair drive from Brisbane and I got to tell you I was sorely disappointed.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

In any case introducing the Beastly Vampire Koala's. O.O

Oh dear lordy NO! That would be a sight to behold, as the tourist population gets decimated by flying mammals from the trees the world looks on in horror. Actually their bite is kind of harsh but not that harsh.

Fortunately the only dietary requirements of Koala's are eucalyptus leaves. Their large nose with sensitive hairs enables the koala to detect differences in smell between different eucalyptus leaves, ensuring that its diet consists of only the best of the bunch. Cheek pouches allow animal to store food not yet chewed while moving to a safer or more protected location.

Thank goodness Koala's are actually cuter than pumpkin pie.

Yes in fact Koala's are our very own real life teddy bears and an emblem of Queensland but you'd think think that wouldn't you, actually bear is a misnomer because Koal's are actually mammals and related to kangaroos and wombats instead.

Here in Australia we take our Koala Business very seriously. Koala's communicate with each other by making a noise like a snore and then a belch, known as a "bellow", hay not unlike the human burp huh.

Some more factoids

Koala young are hunted by large birds of prey. Their Behavior is Clumsy but they are strong swimmers. They live in loose-knit groups if enough suitable trees are present, but only one animal per tree. Males express territoriality during the breeding season, bellowing and grasping the base of a tree while rubbing their chest against it, thus leaving a scent marking with their chest gland. Females bellow as well during this time but are not territorial.

Koalas live for 20 or more years and can run as fast as a rabbit, while needing lots of snooze time, up to 19hours.

Luckily the Cooktown Orchid has nothing on the Koala

They are part of flower family and yes you can grow an orchid full. What more do you need. Imagine if they actually had a digestive system that lured unsuspecting inspects, all the fun plants are overseas. I want to talk about carnivorous plants.

Moving right along to the Brolga, your wondering what is a Brolga, sounds like a broth or an umbrella or something but is in fact a Bird.

Formerly know as the Native Companion it is part of the Crane family.

Brolgas are omnivorous (feeding on both vegetable and animal matter), but primarily feed upon tubers and some crops. Some insects, molluscs, amphibians and even mice are also taken.

Brolgas probably mate for life, and pair bonds are strengthened during elaborate courtship displays, which involve much dancing, leaping, wing-flapping and loud trumpeting. An isolated territory is established, and is vigorously defended by both partners. The white (blotched with brown and purple) eggs are laid in a single clutch. The nest is a large mound of vegetation on a small island in a shallow waterway or swamp. Both adults incubate the eggs and care for the young birds.

There we have it Queensland has the amiable Teddy Bear like Koala's, some sort of orchid and a wetland umbrella called Brolga to take care of all the those insects and fishes.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Thanks for participating in the oh so random tourist experience.

New South Whales

The Platypus, it could almost pass off as a beaver duck.

This unique animal has a duck-like bill, which is soft, flexible and very sensitive, a body covered with waterproof luxurious brown fur, webbed feet, and a broad flattened beaver-like tail.

Its fur is denser than that of polar bears and otters and consists of two layers: an inner layer made up of fine hair that trap air and keep the animal warm, and an outer layer of longer, flat hair. An average body temperature of a healthy platypus is around 32ºC and can be maintained when swimming all night in freezing conditions.

The platypus is an egg-laying mammal. A female platypus lays up to three eggs in late winter or spring and incubates them between her lower belly and curled-up tail for about ten days as she rests in an underground nest lined with soft leaves. A female platypus does not have nipples. Instead, baby platypuses slurp up the milk that is secreted from two patches on their mother’s belly.

Platypus spend up to half a day out of water resting in their burrows. They will have a number of burrows within their home range to ensure a safe refuge. Platypus are solitary animals and it is rare that two adults will share a burrow. The only exception is nesting burrows built to house a mother and her young. The burrows are built in riverbanks and the entrance is well camouflaged by plant roots.

Just remember Adult male platypus has a pointed spur located above the heel of each hind leg, which can be used to inject venom when the animal is provoked. Platypus venom has been known to kill other animals but is not life threatening to a healthy human being…nice!

Woratah the plant of choice

The botanical name for this plant is, Telopea speciossima, which comes from the Greek "Telopos" - seen from afar; and "Speciossima" from the Latin - very beautiful. No one knows the meaning to the native name "Waratah".

The waratah bloom is actually a collection of small individual flowers, arranged in a dense cluster at the top of the stem and surrounded by bright red bracts. This colour and design attracts many native birds, which perch on the blossoms to drink the nectar, and pollinate the flowers in doing so.

In Aboriginal myth, the waratah with its nectar was much loved by the great hunter Wamili. When Wamili was struck blind by lightning the Kwinis, tiny bush spirits, made the cluster of small flowers of the waratah more rigid so the blind hunter could distinguish it by touch.

The Kookaburra

Kookaburras are best known for their unmistakable call, which is uncannily like loud, echoing human laughter.

Kookaburras are carnivorous. They will eat lizards, snakes, insects, mice and raw meat. In the wild, kookaburras are known to eat babies of other birds and snakes, and insects and small reptiles and even other small birds, such as finches if they are lucky enough to catch them. In zoos, they are usually fed food for birds of prey.

There are 4 species, the Laughing kookaburra as pictured

Blue Winged Kookaburra

Rufus Bellied Kookaburra

and

Spangled Kookaburra

Now that's Kooky.