User Tag List

View Poll Results: So Edge doesn't have to rifle through 200 posts, are you an Aussie? Where you at?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • New South Wales

6 11.32%
  • Northern Territory

1 1.89%
  • Queensland

1 1.89%
  • South Australia

7 13.21%
  • Tasmania

1 1.89%
  • Victoria

5 9.43%
  • Western Australia

5 9.43%
  • ACT (the forgotten territory)

1 1.89%
  • Eastern Isles known as NZ

2 3.77%
  • I'm Aussie but mind your own freaken business as to where I live

3 5.66%
  • Ex-pat

1 1.89%
  • Protest! I'm not Aussie but wanna vote!

20 37.74%
First 2101112131422 Last

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Australia fire death toll passes 170

Suspicions that some of the 400 blazes were caused by arson has led police to declare crime scenes in some incinerated towns. Police assistant Commissioner Dannye Moloney, who was appointed Tuesday to head the task force investigating the fires, said investigators were preparing to release a sketch of a suspect in one of the fires, which killed 21 people.
    Quote Originally Posted by FantailedWall View Post
    I'm going to Melbourne on Wednesday - my Dad's family is over there.
    Originally was just for a holiday/to see shows but I'm going to see what I can - donating'll probably be the only realistic option, but we'll see.

Apparently there'll be another heat wave whilst I'm over there
    Another heatwave? God I hope it's finished. Apparently blood and money are the preferred donations.

I have a friend about to drive over to Melbourne as well cause he has family in Bendigo which thankfully never got out of control and his father is in Marysville which no longer exists. There was some concern about his fathers safety cause while his family had heard through other people he was ok they couldn't get in contact him.

Turns out not only is he ok but he managed to save his inn despite all odds.

This is Marysville now;

Last man standing saved inn from bushfires with a bucket in Marysville, Victoria

GREG Cherry stood yesterday afternoon like an apparition on the veranda of his perfectly-intact restaurant and bar in the ruined town of Marysville.

Surrounded by the charred remains of virtually every other building in the alpine hamlet, the owner of the Crossways Historic Country Inn was the last man standing in the town of 700.

After sending his wife away to safety in Alexandra, he chose to stay and fight the inferno, bucket by bucket. That's all he had to douse his log inn and, against impossible odds, he won, despite losing his family home and another property to the fire.

"I just thought, bugger it, I'm not going, I'm going to stay and try to save this place. We'd put too much into it to let it just go up in flames," Mr Cherry told The Australian.

Late on Saturday when the fire raced through the town in minutes, taking everything in its path with it, and reducing the place to a town of brick chimneys and twisted corregated iron, Mr Cherry hid under a bridge with a soaking towel over his head.

"I reckon I was there for about an hour and a half and at times it got pretty hairy as I couldn't breathe but I just covered my mouth with the towel and that gotme through the worst moments," he said.

He put on sunglassess and sunscreen and ridiculous as this sounds, it appears to have worked. He admits the radiant heat that kills so many in fires was intense. "It got pretty warm up here and the buildings were too hot to touch."

His four-wheel-drive, which was parked in his carport next to the inn is a burnt out shell, the Anglican Church across the road is no more and his neighbours' homes are smouldering rubble.

Gas bottles kept exploding throughout the night. "They sounded just like bombs going off. And the roar of the flames was like hundreds of jumbo jets flying just across your roof."

Mr Cherry said he didn't leave with the last of the evacuees on Sunday because he had too much work to do cleaning up. And friends to find. His luck has run out there.

"I've lost at least two that I know of and there's more dead in these streets."

Guess there'll be more stories of survival like this in amongst the heartache.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Don't do this to yourself, Mempy - and this comes from an Aussie.
    DON'T DO IT
    Please ignore this comment everyone, explanation below;

Quote Originally Posted by FantailedWall View Post
    Ok, you've caught me out - I'm a European in disguise
    'nuff said.

MBTI
    INTP

I've gone numb now with this. Not feeling anything now.

I can't get over the high proportion of deaths to house loss. It's insanely high.

I'm watching the ABC news and they showed people in a town newly under threat. They haven't learned, they've decided to stay and fight the fires with a couple of buckets and inadequate clothing, their houses covered with vines.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

I feel the same.

MBTI
    INTP

I keep visualising what it would have been like for those who didn't make it.

Toll now 181. They just said on the news it could go as high as 300.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Donated $50 via Commonwealth Netbank. I will donate more when I get paid in a few weeks. If you have an Internet banking account, it's quite easy to donate via money transfer.

Also: Money flows for fire victims | theage.com.au

Blood donorsí bushfire response - Local News - News - General - Bayside Bulletin / The Redland Times

They're requesting that people stagger the blood donations over the next few weeks because the blood can only keep for a certain amount of time, and the Red Cross has been overwhelmed by the number of people who've come down to donate.

Scoop: New Zealand Red Cross Overwhelmed

Kiwis are being lovable and generous too.

It's a terrible time, but these stories are incredibly touching.

MBTI
    INTP

I donated this morning. I couldn't get through on the phone or website yesterday. I think I'll add to the donation later this week. A bunch of people I work with also donated goods to be trucked to the towns.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
    I donated this morning. I couldn't get through on the phone or website yesterday. I think I'll add to the donation later this week. A bunch of people I work with also donated goods to be trucked to the towns.
    There was a special on Today Tonight last night (can't believe I admitted that I watch that show) and they said that they're starting to turn away donations of clothing and non-canned food, because of the overwhelming response and inability to store so much stuff.

I've known that Aussies are incredibly generous and open-hearted just by living here, but sometimes I still feel surprised by the degree of it.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by nonsequitur View Post
    There was a special on Today Tonight last night (can't believe I admitted that I watch that show) and they said that they're starting to turn away donations of clothing and non-canned food, because of the overwhelming response and inability to store so much stuff.
    Yeah, the Red Cross website said they preferred cash donations, partly because of that reason and partly because the cash donations can be spent at local businesses to help them rebuild and recover. But I didn't want to say that at work because people just wanted to do *something* and I can understand that.

I noticed today that the shock is just starting to wear off and turning to anger.

And the Victorian Government is channelling this anger by calling a Royal Commission.