User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    It's not that big of a deal in Japan. On Feb 14 the girls get guys something. If you like the girl you return the favour on March 14.
    That's not a big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    That's not a big deal?
    Yeah you're right it sounds like a big deal.
    But people give out giri choco (obligation chocolate) a lot so you don't know whether the girl really likes you or not.

giri choco (obligation chocolate) is what you give to people that you have some relationship with. Work etc.

Am I making sense?

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Yeah you're right it sounds like a big deal.
    But people give out giri choco (obligation chocolate) a lot so you don't know whether the girl really likes you or not.

giri choco (obligation chocolate) is what you give to people that you have some relationship with. Work etc.

Am I making sense?
    I think so. Similar to our American friends, I think. We have a much narrower scope in Australia. You only get someone a Valentine pressy if you're hot on them.

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    I think so. Similar to our American friends, I think. We have a much narrower scope in Australia. You only get someone a Valentine pressy if you're hot on them.
    Same back in NZ.

MBTI
    ENFj

Well for me is sort of a sad day but not for what you imagine. I grew up with my grandparents since I was 3 years old so I always considered them like my parents. Well so happens that my grandmother died on Valentines day many years back but I that is what it reminds me of every year.
    ENFJ 3W4

If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost 5 seconds of your life that you wont be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.

MBTI
    ISTx

What do you do when you're "talking" and interested in someone but not technically "dating"? Also, when this person is a few hours away in distance?

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    What do you do when you're "talking" and interested in someone but not technically "dating"? Also, when this person is a few hours away in distance?
    Send them a parcel from a friend.

MBTI
    ISTP

Socially engineered, and I'm split between socially efficient (allowing both partners, notably male, to be more lazy during the year and then make it up all at once = less energy spent) and socially inefficient (leading to an increase of lazy partners who celebrate it for external reasons = more failed relationships).

Either way, I don't celebrate it.

It's like any other holiday, it's what you make of it. If people get some legitimate joy out of it, then that's great. It doesn't make me lonely...frankly, I don't think too much about it.

The only thing that bothers me a little about it is that the expectations are rather narrow, and therefore require little effort to produce. It's sort of like how people call New Year's Eve "amateur night", except it's about paying attention to your SO instead of drinking.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Valentines day only matters to me when I'm with someone. It's another one of those "oh shit I better do something" holidays when you are seeing someone.

Overall, I think it produces more stress and tension than good feelings.