User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    Let me preface all of this by saying I like pretty much everything. If I've had the chance to try it, I've done it for the most part. The only thing I ever passed on completely was insects. I haven't worked my way up to them yet. But anything else, I'll try.

That said, my favorite food was in France. I love foie gras. I know it's controversial, but dammit, it's fantastic. My favorite meal, though, is a crusty baguette, rich cheese, and red wine. Nothing even comes close. I also like cheap crepes from the stands - ham, mushroom, and gruyere.

I like things that are simple but well-prepared. Like, I just had an amazing goat cheese and beet salad. It was excellent.

I like eating stuff most people would consider exotic, I guess. One of my favorite places to go is an African restaurant around here. I like bobotie, durban-spiced chicken, vegetable couscous, heavily spiced salmon crusted with nuts, mulligatawny, peanut rice etc. I also used to go to an Ethiopian restaurant in Houston, which was great. I usually ordered the vegetarian sampler, but kitfo was excellent too.

I also love Turkish, Vietnamese, Korean, Greek, you name it.

And I know it's sorta passe, but I actually like fondue. What's not to love?

Finally, my go-tos are sushi and steak. I judge a sushi restaurant on how well they make something simple, like plain ol' maguro nigiri. That said, I usually gravitate toward rolls. I've had one topped with roe and a raw quail's egg which was a little odd, but good nonetheless.

For steak, I prefer ribeyes or strips. Rare. Like, run-a-cow-over-a-candle-holy-hell-it's-still-mooing rare. And I prefer it when they're so damned good they can be cut with a butter knife. Speaking of which, the Churrasco steak at Americas in Houston is one of the single best items I've ever eaten. There's a reason it's $56 for 16 ounces. Their tres leches cake is amazing, too. It's not overly sweet like so many tres leches cakes; it's just moist and delicious. They also do a brilliant vanilla creme brulee, but they serve it in an elongated olive dish - so every bite has the excellent crackly caramelization. *salivate* http://www.cordua.com/cmsFiles/Resou...u.pdf?m=2&s=15

Really, everything at that restaurant is excellent.
    Mmmmm, I like your taste Rajah. Never tried bobtie, it sounds good; I will give everything you listed a try. That fattened duck liver sounds excellent as well.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    My favorite meal, though, is a crusty baguette, rich cheese, and red wine. Nothing even comes close.
    Doesn't get any better than that!

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Doesn't get any better than that!
    Yes, simple yet so damn delicious.

MBTI
    INTJ

Try tandoori and sashimi I say. Moroccan is also very good.

All of these are nice Best Japanese Winter Recipes.

Especially Oden and Tonjiru.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Agedashi tofu is one of my favourite easy and tasty dishes to make. It's a simple Japanese way to serve hot tofu. Silken (kinugoshi) firm tofu, cut into cubes, is lightly dusted with potato starch or cornstarch and then deep fried until golden brown. It's then served in a hot tentsuyu broth made of dashi, mirin, and shoyu (Japanese soy sauce), and topped with finely chopped green onions or grated daikon *rubs belly*

MBTI
    INTJ

Agedashi tofu is one of my favourite easy and tasty dishes to make. It's a simple Japanese way to serve hot tofu. Silken (kinugoshi) firm tofu, cut into cubes, is lightly dusted with potato starch or cornstarch and then deep fried until golden brown. It's then served in a hot tentsuyu broth made of dashi, mirin, and shoyu (Japanese soy sauce), and topped with finely chopped green onions or grated daikon *rubs belly*

Not really a big fan of tofu, but I'll give it a try. I'll tell you this, it looks BEAUTIFUL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
    Try tandoori and sashimi I say. Moroccan is also very good.
    Really? What kind of Moroccan in particular?

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by WithoutaFace View Post
    Not really a big fan of tofu, but I'll give it a try. I'll tell you this, it looks BEAUTIFUL.
    Forget any tofu experience you've had, this is different

Forget any tofu experience you've had, this is different
    +100 Lovely with sake, beer, alcohol in general.

MBTI
    INTJ

Yea I suppose tofu can be great with the right environment. It is after all, supposedly a template or substrate for flavor. Anybody else have any tofu dishes they would like to recommend?