User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Default Manipulation -- why not?

Okay so this was somewhat inspired by the graveyard thread but I've been thinking about it for years anyway...

What's wrong with manipulating people?

I could make a case, but I'd like people to answer so that I can respond.

MBTI
    INFP

I'd say it depends on the relationship between two people.

Sometimes manipulating a recalcitrant two-year-old is expedient. A boss could possibly manipulate employees as a method of side-stepping policy becoming too personal.

And at some point, I think a habit of manipulation in a relationship could thwart trust and closeness if that was the goal of the relationship. So motive would come in there someplace, also.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

If you are a moral relativist, then all that matters to you should be your intention. If you believe in an objective form of morality, and if manipulation would fall under the category of amoral to you, then it is bad.

Maybe your just one of those people who believes that the ends allways justify the means.

Personally, I am some what of a utilitarian and believe that if you are manipulating someone for their/others own good and benifit, then you are ok. It all depends on intention for me and I believe that all actions should be judged based on their intention. This is physically impossible for us to judge something like that but to a metaphysical being beyond us, it should be cake.
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

"If you go looking for something in particular, your chances of finding it are very bad, because of all the things in the world, you're only looking for one of them. If you go looking for anything at all, your chances of finding it are very good, because of all the things in the world, you're sure to find some of them."

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

I think the biggest problem with manipulation being good is that it's a subversive supplicant (and a poor one at that) for genuine Reason.

To use Anja's example, if you have a child that's old enough to understand the real reason WHY you shouldn't do X or Y, then you are unjustified in using manipulation instead of valid education to guide the young mind. Same goes for adults, as well.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I only really manipulate people so that I steer them away from crashing and burning, doing it for no reason seems to be a bad thing.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

My mind works so that I tend to manipulate my mind around circumstances of others. If i need a certain outcome, I'm not the person to go and change what's in others, but change what's in me, so that others don't require manipulation, and all goes smoothly...if your catching that.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INTj

Manipulation is viewed as antagonistic. If the attempt is discovered, it will result in negative feelings.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Without Manipulation, the world would not spin as easily as it does.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Without Manipulation, the world would not spin as easily as it does.
    I prefer to call it conservation of angular momentum.

MBTI
    INFP

Personally, if I find out that I've been manipulated, or if I suspect that someone is trying to manipulate me, I don't like it. I prefer open communication with equals.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer