User Tag List

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Many institutions seem close to requiring particular commodities.

I've noticed several news sources saying that Pay telephones are becoming obsolete because many people have Cellular telephones. I don't think that's really reasonable, since Cellular telephones are somewhat expensive, and it's a little unfair for them to expect everyone to have one. Also, for the people who can't even afford home phones, cutting out Pay Phones removes their only link to communication. And several major services require (or plan to require) you to use telephones or the Internet to access them. The point is, it's unreasonable to expect everyone to be able to have access to technology such as Telephones or Computers, because if a person were struggling to pay for living expenses, how can they be expected to worry about additional commodities? Do they just not think about that, and expect everyone to have plenty of money? It just seems a little insensitive. (Note that I currently have a home Internet connection and telephone, and don't have to worry about this myself, therefore I am committing no violations of Ethos.)

What do you think? Is it reasonable to just expect people to be able to afford such things on a minimal budget?

MBTI
    ESFJ

It's not a matter of whether it "is it reasonable to just expect people to be able to afford such things on a minimal budget?"

The question is: is it reasonable to force others to provide such things for someone on a minimal budget?
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    It's not a matter of whether it "is it reasonable to just expect people to be able to afford such things on a minimal budget?"

The question is: is it reasonable to force others to provide such things for someone on a minimal budget?
    So what you're saying is that you believe it is unreasonable to expect companies to continue allowing payment of bills via mail for people who can't afford the Internet, and unreasonable to expect any stores to offer Pay telephones for people who can't afford cellular phones? That is your perspective, then?

What I'm asking then is, what should be done for people who need to pay bills and access various services, and don't have any money to set aside for such extraneous things, because they can really only afford their rent, electricity, food, and water on their current salary?

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    So what you're saying is that you believe it is unreasonable to expect companies to continue allowing payment of bills via mail for people who can't afford the Internet, and unreasonable to expect any stores to offer Pay telephones for people who can't afford cellular phones? That is your perspective, then?

What I'm asking then is, what should be done for people who need to pay bills and access various services, and don't have any money to set aside for such extraneous things, because they can really only afford their rent, electricity, food, and water on their current salary?
    It's unreasonable to expect for profit companies to be purely altruistic. Companies do not provide services that people need. They provide services that "enough" people are both willing and able to pay for. If there are "enough" people that need the services you are referring to in a low tech way, then some company will provide a way for the services other than telephone and internet. It's simply a matter of Economics.

If there are not "enough" people though to keep these services going, then the few who do need them will either have to seek some sort of welfare or they will simply fall through the cracks.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

The process might be slightly more defensible (although I wouldn't necessarily agree) if savings were passed directly to customers, rather than just retained as profit. It's incredibly difficult to prove that they have been.
    January has April's showers
    And 2 and 2 always makes a 5

MBTI
    ISTP

Bleh, this is already happening in places that aren't so technologically behind. Try finding a public phone in Korea, the most wired country in the world. Took me forever until I found one in the foreigner's complex where I was at. Maybe it's better in the larger cities, but I got laughed at when I asked for one....