Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    Ritalin is basically cocain
    I gotta get myself some of that !

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    also - I think the "trade off" with meds spoken of depends what kind of ADHD you have and what kind of medication you're on. Ritalin is basically cocain, so it works if you are UNDERSTIMULATED. I'm OVERstimulated, and Strattera has a "calming effect", neuraly speaking, but I actually get many more "idea moments" as I used to. And I haven't lost my keys or debit card in liek a year, wowowow!
    I wish I knew this back when I was having issues with my meds... That might explain the anxiety/headaches. I was basically "coming down".
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilen View Post
    Not all traits, but many are.

I actually can't hold focus for more than 5 minutes at a time, but I'm not hyperactive physically, my mind would just wander, and would lose track, or would do something totally different.

Anyway, this might not be ADD at all, but since I've never considered the possibility, it is worth a look at it.
    You know, concentration etc. can be tested.
    Says one who had to go in one of those things because of trouble to concentrate.. Turns out I'm sensitive to disturbance.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Whether it is real or not, it's an issue with kids that may be identified to have it, given the symptoms (who are just about starting their learning processes), however it's no issue with fully grown adults because by now, adults have done their 'basic' learning and ought to be functioning contently no matter what.

... to reiterate, it's a 'potential' issue in kids only.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilen View Post
    I have no idea where to start this, so I'll start it here for now.

So, is ADD real or is it an excuse for kids -and later on adults- to be unproductive ?
    With children, parents use this excuse so they can excuse give their "rambunctious" kids pills to calm them down to the point of tolerance.
    The problem here starts in the safety necessity: Parents won't let their kids do anything fun (which is short for dangerous) so they're inside all the time with an absurd amount of unused energy. Parents from previous generations used to be able to handle their children because they didn't trap them up and keep them inside so when they eventually came inside, they had no energy left to annoy the shit out of their parents.

It should be noted that children are inherently annoying (even to one another), but until recently, it was counteracted by the out-of-sight-out-of-mind rule.

This coupled with the parents' inability to recall past experiences, causing them to forget that they too were annoying, the they're left with nowhere to turn (given the social climate of the country) but to drawgz.

So most of these kids aren't really even ADD -- they just have burnt out parents.

I know for a fact that the drugs didn't help me to pay attention.
    Here's why: I didn't have a legit deficit of attention to begin with. What I had was a surplus. I didn't pay attention to what they wanted me to pay attention to, because everything was interesting.
    I imagine most of the kids who are legitimately diagnosed with ADHD are just like me, and all the ones I've known only support that idea.
    Part of this I confess was simple rebellion -- I didn't want to be told what to pay attention to, so I sometimes deliberately tuned out (or pretended to) just to get a rise out of the teachers, and ultimately, my drug peddling parents.

Similarly, in oldies, there's might be an excess of interest and resulting distractibility.

Basically what these pills do is to reduce your consciousness to where you're only alert enough to pay attention to one thing, and simultaneously don't have the energy to fight with whoever's telling you what to focus on so the drugs might help to keep you focused, but really what it comes down to is that some people are just fucking lazy. So lazy that they can't even fix their own laziness problem. So they get the pharmacist to do it.

At this juncture, I think it's clear that I don't really care about the OP.
    I got my own shit I hate about ADD.

While we're medicating social 'diseases,' which is exactly what ADHD is, we may as well use drugs that certainly work.

I prescribe opiates.
    In the first place, you can literally feel it working. Pleasurable sensations all over your body let you know that it's kicked in.
    When you're faded, it's way harder to care what you're doing, and you'll do whatever job you're told.
    It's not really that much more addicting than those meth based ADHD remedies.

I have read about it on a couple sources, but they all seemed biased to consider it a real disorder, without the need for any definitive diagnosis for it or even proof - hope that doesn't sound too ignorant, I just did my little research today.

So, if a child with ADD wasn't treated, could it still affect him in adulthood ? And how can you know it really is ADD, and how to overcome it ?
    Wait... what do you mean by treated?
    Is there anything other than a daily regimen?
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    With children, parents use this excuse so they can excuse give their "rambunctious" kids pills to calm them down to the point of tolerance.
    The problem here starts in the safety necessity: Parents won't let their kids do anything fun (which is short for dangerous) so they're inside all the time with an absurd amount of unused energy. Parents from previous generations used to be able to handle their children because they didn't trap them up and keep them inside so when they eventually came inside, they had no energy left to annoy the shit out of their parents.

It should be noted that children are inherently annoying (even to one another), but until recently, it was counteracted by the out-of-sight-out-of-mind rule.

This coupled with the parents' inability to recall past experiences, causing them to forget that they too were annoying, the they're left with nowhere to turn (given the social climate of the country) but to drawgz.

So most of these kids aren't really even ADD -- they just have burnt out parents.
    Very fucking true.

I know for a fact that the drugs didn't help me to pay attention.
    Here's why: I didn't have a legit deficit of attention to begin with. What I had was a surplus. I didn't pay attention to what they wanted me to pay attention to, because everything was interesting.
    I imagine most of the kids who are legitimately diagnosed with ADHD are just like me, and all the ones I've known only support that idea.
    Part of this I confess was simple rebellion -- I didn't want to be told what to pay attention to, so I sometimes deliberately tuned out (or pretended to) just to get a rise out of the teachers, and ultimately, my drug peddling parents.
    I'm much the same way, but only got diagnosed when I was 16. I've been taking drugs on and off since -- they don't really do that much other than making it slightly easier for me to stay on task once I start. Unfortunately, starting is the hardest part, and the meds don't do shit for that...

It does help a bit, though, and I don't really have any moral qualms with taking all the help I can get.

And yeah, it's not like I can't focus on shit I like (I tend to hyperfocus)...I just can't focus on boring shit, which, sadly, is what school is geared towards.

Similarly, in oldies, there's might be an excess of interest and resulting distractibility.

Basically what these pills do is to reduce your consciousness to where you're only alert enough to pay attention to one thing, and simultaneously don't have the energy to fight with whoever's telling you what to focus on so the drugs might help to keep you focused, but really what it comes down to is that some people are just fucking lazy. So lazy that they can't even fix their own laziness problem. So they get the pharmacist to do it.
    I don't think the meds even help with motivation, though...

Anyway, I think ADD is real in the Te sense. But it's just an exaggeration of a trait that everyone has.

There are many complicating factors in terms of my diagnosis as well, like learning things much faster than my classmates and not wanting to waste my time hearing explanations I've already thought of for the last 80% of each lecture. So I space out, and then in the middle of some reiteration, they throw a bit of new material in, but I'm not listening, so I miss a bunch of information.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Some people just aren't meant to excel in academics, and no amount of adderall will change that. So for those people, the therapy and drugs is a waste of time and effort.

And as for the people who adderall/ritalin does legitimately help, I'm not sure it's smart to keep them on the drugs 24/7. Just take it when you need to study.

In college, I bought adderall every now and then to study. Worked great.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I have ADHD problems and I find that drinking coffee during an episode really calms me down and helps me think rationally and focus. Caffine = stimulant Stimulants are in the medications, so I just drink coffee instead.