User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Fashion Tips

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Fashion Tips

Hey everyone, I usually have a wardrobe with which I experiment conservatively.
    I was kind of bored with it, and was wondering if anyone has some things to try/things that you think would look good for winter time for a guy. Consider all angles of apparel.

Photos and links of particular items from websites would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
    Things to keep in mind: five foot seven, dark skin, dark hair, light brown eyes, medium build.

MBTI
    GONE

Ok, I'll bite.

If you wanna stay with conservative, go the Banana Republic/Gap route. It's nothing rock the boat - but at least you'll be coordinated and look modern.

Modern Apparel, Handbags, Shoes, and Accessories | Banana Republic

Or, the Armani Exchange route - a l'il more style conscious and fashion forward and a tad more 'urban'.

Collection - Mens - Armani Exchange

Honestly, dressing as a guy is both easy and hard. There isn't much variety to work with - t-shirts, button ups, sweaters, pants, jeans, khakis, sneakers, work boots, dress shoes. That's basically all you got!

The key to not having a boring warddrobe for a guy is playing with cut, color, and pattern. And especially accessories.

If you look at the way Kanye West dresses, he plays with classic preppy looks but he pimps it out just a bit with non-preppy proportions, patterns, and accessories.

If you just buy a contemporary hat or two, a chunky watch, a colorful hoodie, and maybe a slightly narrower cut of pants and/or t-shirt, it'll update your warddrobe.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    infp

I have a similar situation. I generally put zero effort into my clothes (in fact, some of my clothes I've had for a couple of years now ). I do have a few nicer, more in style things, but to be honest I sometimes feel kind of self concious wearing them because my friends point it out (as in "holy shit, GZA is wearing a polo today!" as if thats a big deal) so I don't wear them that often.

One day recently at lunch I had picked up a bold blue polo I let my friend borrow for an occasion and decided to wear it to my fifth period class as a joke (as in, I popped the collar and wore aviators and called everyone "bro" for five minutes for laughs). All the girls in the class said it actually looked really good and that I pulled it off as well as anyone else who seriously did the popped-collar and aviators thing back in the day when that was cool. I thought about it and thought it might actually be worth going for some new clothes... there's absolutely nothing bad that could happen, and there's nothing wrong with making getting laid a bit easier

I'm not sure what kind of style I should go for either. The Banana Republic/Gap route for the most part isn't my thing (I've looked in those stores and I couldn't see myself in any of it). I've been watching people and sort of taking note of what they are wearing and trying to decide what I should go for.

But if any of you have tips that would be marvy!

MBTI
    INxJ

Great fitting jeans and solid color t-shirts always look nice. I've never understood the fuss about clothes.

MBTI
    InFp
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    I've never understood the fuss about clothes.
    Seconded. Don't front. Just go with what you feel comfortable being in.

MBTI
    INTJ

I like the both the republic and armani look. Cut, color, and pattern. Gotcha.

MBTI
    INFP

A friend recently introduced me to the Coldwater Creek line of clothing. They've got lots of ethnic prints, wonderful textures and colors. Light-hearted, youthful and dignified. Eye candy just browsing in there.

I overlooked the "Guy" part, Without. Don't know if they have male apparel or not. Don't think so.

But I like a dash of color on a male and roughly textured fabrics can seem masculine to me.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    GONE

This is fun.

Here are some pics. Not saying necessarily this would look good on you (but for your frame and build, it won't look bad) but here are some examples of ways to experiment with your look. Actually, they veer away from classic and firmly into hipster territory, but even if you don't like them, it'll give you an idea of the fashion spectrum for guys.

Anecdote: my teenaged cousin dresses like an everday kid, sweat pants and a long sleeve shirt. But, I know he wants to be stylin.

So when he asked for a cashmere sweater (holy crap, what teenaged boy does that???) I got him a designer cashmere zip up hoody. It was different shades of blue with a lavender argyle pattern and gold chain design knit into it. I also got him a light brown Nike shirt with gold metallic design on it. And a black baseball cap. He looked fly! LOL. And the great thing is, the outfit was not expensive.

The actual pieces themselves were very typical of guy's warddrobe: hoodie, shirt, hat - but because of the material or pattern it really made him stand out.

Marshall's, Ross, E-bay, even Forever 21 and other 'juniors clothing' stores have great stuff for guys and especially shirts, hoodies, and hats are really cheap. And there are some really unique sneakers and shoes at the discount stores, too. Not a lot of young guys shop, so you can find good stuff. It's really easy to update your warddrobe on a budget.

A super easy way to update your look: interesting design on a t-shirt and a coordinating baseball cap (just look at the last pics)

Notice the skinny tie, fitted shirt and vest, and then the jeans. Mixing casual and formal are pretty easy ways to look 'fashion forward'.

This was taken from the 'street style' section of nylon magazine. Notice the skinny jeans.

Also from street style in Nylon magazine.

“If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ

Wow, and eclectic base of advice. Lots to consider. Keep em' coming!

MBTI
    ENTP

how experimental do you want to go? if its those classic look but hint of difference, its not very difficult.

also do you have any background in arts?