User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

Default On how to keep children from dying in their sleep

The power of human ingenuity is boundless. I live in New Mexico, one of the most technologically advanced areas in the world, home to the world’s most premiere weapons research facilities and the birth place of the atom bomb. The people that live and work here are among the brightest in the world, but it amazes me to no limits to see how much effort and will power goes into creating havoc and destruction. Imagine if all this ingenuity and power could be focused on issues like eradicating world hunger or independence from fossil fuels. The level of technology and human achievement we have amassed is just mind boggling yet you walk down the street and you find a single mother with 4 little kids sleeping in a car.

Can we change the world?

Maybe . . . Maybe not.

We will never know if we never try, so my question to you is what solutions can you come up with to end world hunger? If you have ideas for other drastic global/social issues please post them too.

I have my own theories on how I would approach the world hunger issue, but I would like to hear yours first.

This is one of the few reasons I am thinking of switching from the MD program to the MD/PHD program.
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

"If you go looking for something in particular, your chances of finding it are very bad, because of all the things in the world, you're only looking for one of them. If you go looking for anything at all, your chances of finding it are very good, because of all the things in the world, you're sure to find some of them."

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Some time ago, I heard Norman Borlaug on the radio (or was it TV). I've been meaning to, but haven't gotten around to researching more about the subject, but what he said about needing to make scientific advancement and the cultural backlash against such advancements was very interesting.

I suppose there are more immediate approaches in trying to reduce hunger on a more local scale... Improve distribution? Group cooking?

MBTI
    INTP

If you want to end world hunger, you need to divert resources from the wealthy to the starving.

At home
    - Set up a food kitchen in your neighborhood.
    - Volunteer at the food kitchen.
    - Donate your money or food to the food kitchen.

Abroad
    - Volunteer in a 3rd world country.
    - Donate your money or food to a fund that distributes that kind of stuff.

How would switching from an MD to an MD/PhD help?

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by G-Virus View Post
    This is one of the few reasons I am thinking of switching from the MD program to the MD/PHD program.
    That was my plan at one time as well. Molecular medicine would have been my area of focus, but I will contribute more in another field. If you decide to do it, I wish you the best of luck. You have alot of school ahead of you, and will need to stay focused to persevere.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    How would switching from an MD to an MD/PhD help?
    Research. MD/PhDs become researchers for the most part. Not to mention, only the intellectual elite are accepted to that specific type of joint program.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    That was my plan as well. Molecular medicine would have been my area of focus. If you decide to do it, I wish you the best of luck. You have alot of school ahead of you, and will need to stay focused to persevere.

Research. MD/PhDs become researchers for the most part. Not to mention, only the intellectual elite are accepted to that specific joint program.
    I'm aware that MD/PhDs do research, but I still don't understand. What is there to research? Hungry people need food, not science.

Maybe agricultural science or food science, but what has medicine got to do with it?

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

The solution isn't really "money." It's just really attention. Not to mention the complexity of the issue. The problem isn't always land use and resources and techniques, there are governmental concerns as well. Some places go hungry abroad because hunger is used as a weapon and society in general ignores the third world. Some places lack the governmental stability and infrastructure to make stable food markets and production viable. Changing this would require military, diplomatic, and very empire-like foreign policy action that this country won't tolerate at this time and at significant expense for zero tangible benefit.

But locally, there will always be hunger simply because some people cannot function enough to feed themselves. It is silly to expect that each person, if given the chance, will always choose what's best for them, and this ideology is relatively damaging, not to mention costly.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    The solution isn't really "money." It's just really attention. Not to mention the complexity of the issue. The problem isn't always land use and resources and techniques, there are governmental concerns as well. Some places go hungry abroad because hunger is used as a weapon and society in general ignores the third world. Some places lack the governmental stability and infrastructure to make stable food markets and production viable. Changing this would require military, diplomatic, and very empire-like foreign policy action that this country won't tolerate at this time and at significant expense for zero tangible benefit.

But locally, there will always be hunger simply because some people cannot function enough to feed themselves. It is silly to expect that each person, if given the chance, will always choose what's best for them, and this ideology is relatively damaging.
    You're right that the governments can be part of the problem. One solution to that would be to get a job as a lobbyist, delegate, or politician. Also let your position be known -- write to the people in power, vote accordingly, and in general let them know that this is a topic that's important to you.

MBTI
    INxJ

I'm aware that MD/PhDs do research, but I still don't understand. What is there to research? Hungry people need food, not science.

Maybe agricultural science or food science, but what has medicine got to do with it?
    Did you read the part where he said he has his own theories on it, and that it's one of the reasons he wants to switch to the joint program? He obviously decided there's a connection between his ideas and the occupation; that he would explain after he heard other poster's theories first.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

You're right that the governments can be part of the problem. One solution to that would be to get a job as a lobbyist, delegate, or politician. Also let your position be known -- write to the people in power, vote accordingly, and in general let them know that this is a topic that's important to you.
    This would work on a local level, perhaps. Nationally or globally I don't really think it would.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Did you read the part where he said he has his own theories on it, and that it's one of the reasons he wants to switch to the joint program? He obviously decided there's a connection between his ideas and the occupation; that he would explain after he heard other poster's theories first.
    I'd like to hear it from g-virus. I patiently await his hare-brained scheme master plan to solve world hunger.