User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Weapons of high strategic value, in this case, the mentioned nuclear bomb, get a near infinite funding program. Because they create a great advantage for the country in war and the like.

Yet there really is no immediate advantage to a country for stopping starvation outside of it's borders.

The quickest requirement for this to become real would be a creation of a one world country. Because when it's your citizens that are starving, your workforce, it becomes a diffrent problem with a different level of priority.

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by G-Virus View Post
    The power of human ingenuity is boundless. I live in New Mexico, one of the most technologically advanced areas in the world, home to the world’s most premiere weapons research facilities and the birth place of the atom bomb. The people that live and work here are among the brightest in the world, but it amazes me to no limits to see how much effort and will power goes into creating havoc and destruction. Imagine if all this ingenuity and power could be focused on issues like eradicating world hunger or independence from fossil fuels. The level of technology and human achievement we have amassed is just mind boggling yet you walk down the street and you find a single mother with 4 little kids sleeping in a car.
    Thing is it's a lot easier to create something devastating like the atom bomb as opposed to helping billions of hungry people throughout the world. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Virus View Post
    We will never know if we never try, so my question to you is what solutions can you come up with to end world hunger? If you have ideas for other drastic global/social issues please post them too.

I have my own theories on how I would approach the world hunger issue, but I would like to hear yours first.

This is one of the few reasons I am thinking of switching from the MD program to the MD/PHD program.
    Well first we have to get a huge number of people to be dedicated to the goal of eliminating world hunger (for the most part). You would have to get a large number of citizens involved in the effort - giving back and using less. The way things are right now, it will take time, a lot of time. This is unfortunate, but it's the reality of the issue. Basically if we can get enough people involved to make a difference, then it's a start.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

First off, I would like to thank you guys for posting here, this is exactly what I am looking for.

Colors, definitely, we do need to work on this as a social issue as well in the public way of thinking.

01011010, do you mind if I call you Z, that's awsome, are you still in the field? You are very perceptive and thank you for understanding where I was coming from.

Rhinosaur is on tract in what he wants to do and I have a huge feeling that he is actually very active in the community.

Jock, you are definitely on the mark there with that observation and we definitely need people that are going to work on it from that aspect.

Darjur and the chosen one, you guys are also spot on.

Well, now that we have pointed some of the issues, I am really interested in seeing what field you work with and how you would contribute to the issues in your own way. For example, are you in political science and wish to influence laws and the way government operates? Are you in social work and are already making a difference?

What are your hair brained schemes, and do you wish to pursue them and how?
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

"If you go looking for something in particular, your chances of finding it are very bad, because of all the things in the world, you're only looking for one of them. If you go looking for anything at all, your chances of finding it are very good, because of all the things in the world, you're sure to find some of them."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

You can thank Rhinosaur for the

H O L Y - W A L L - O F – T E X T - B A T M A N

On the scale between hair brained scheme and master plan, my theories would probably lay near the former. None the less, every human has their niche in life in what they excel in and it becomes an obligation on them to pursue that which they excel in if and only if it is also something that would bring them satisfaction and happiness. Personally, my forte’ seems to lie in the fact that I do extremely well in the biological sciences while at the same time having such a sociable and outgoing personality. When I arrived at college, I was a computer science major for the first two years. I eventually ended up shadowing different career opportunities until I narrowed down my scope of interest to the field of medicine. I lost one year of school during this transition and ended up graduating a year late but the experience I gained during this time is priceless.

Background Information:

I grew up dirt poor, and even though I was a citizen of the United States, my parents were here as refugees and thus had complicated status issues regarding employment. We moved all over the country and had a hard time stabilizing and thus I got into a major amount of trouble in my early adolescent years. My parents decided to send me over seas to live with my grandparents for two reasons. One was for me to mature and a really start to understand what living the tough life really meant, and two was so my grandparents could have a young hand around the house to help out as my grandfather was extremely ill. In the three years I lived in the Middle East, I learned what being poor and hungry really meant. I knew what it meant to not have access to healthcare. I understood what it meant to have water management troubles and lack of essentials for life, as this was the common ground for most of the people in my community. Luckily for me, my parents lived in the U.S. and the little money they sent their parents every month went a long way.

I came back to the States on September 2nd, 2001 and my first day of class was on that most infamous Tuesday morning on the 11th of that month. I had an odd perspective on the events, as I was shocked that anyone had the hate to do something like this (I was still growing up at 15), but I was also angered at how people from my cultural background were immediately seen as a potential fifth column. Many people of Middle Eastern descent decided to throw away their cultural values and who they were in hopes of blending in and generally acting as if they were guilty for what had happened. Being an ENTP, I could not possibly swallow something like this and in my own way decided to rebel against what the simplest solution was. I had a firm understanding and belief that to educate people about who my people are and what we stand for was to be active in the community as opposed to withdrawing and hiding from the issue.

One of the issues that stood out for me and shocked me was the amount of hunger that was in our community. This was the richest nation on Earth and people were sleeping all around the streets and starving to death in it (there are many reasons for this that could be individual responsibility or other issues). I was appalled at the fact that here was almost no different than the Middle East. I decided to take a proactive approach and found a few like minded friends from within our community and we opened a soup kitchen in the University area (next to our mosque) which is now one of the most active soup kitchens in the city. The majority of the volunteers that cook and provide the funding for it are all University students and the way it worked was to be proactive in the community and get everyone involved.

Going back on topic:

When I arrived at college, I was still an idealist and worked with all the hippy causes you can think of. Even my major was related to idealism as I had dreams of working with companies that created amazing software that was either free or could be sold at a low cost to be used in developing nations. As my major changed, my ideals stayed put and I decided to study medicine for the sole fact of opening up a low income clinic in my community to serve the area (this might all change with socialized medicine, which I applaud, but we will see). My last year of undergrad I got into neuroscience research and was just taken by the whole aspect of what researchers do and what they can achieve. As an MD, you are able to do research but the scope of your funding and what issues you can work on are limited, unlike those for a person with a PhD. As a medical doctor, you are able to work as a clinician, an educator (in academia), a researcher, a governmental lobbyist or advisor and so many more areas. The windows of opportunity that such a field grants can put an ENTP in heaven.

As a researcher, I have many hair brained schemes that I wish to work on that I know can be of immense benefit, world wide, if they can be implemented. Genetically engineered super crops can still be worked on to be made healthier for consumption and stronger for growth. A few groups are researching crops that will grow in sand, which is just amazing. A few groups are researching viable methods of low-tech/low-cost insulin production by genetically modifying cattle to produce milk which comes with the protein so it can be extracted on large levels. Many forms of harmless bacteria are being studied to see if simple essential medications like morphine can be produced by them in large quantities through genetic modification. I personally wanted to research non-Newtonian fluids in hopes of making a light weight cloth that would work like body armor for people that live in mine riddled countries. The world of opportunities to give back are boundless, you just have to decide if you want to take advantage of it.

Personally, as a person with an MD/PhD, I would ideally want to work in a low income community as a clinician while on the side working on my own research projects, and at the same time being heavily involved in lobbying for health issues that concern the people of my locality. All this while working on public health efforts concerning common problems like drug abuse, teen pregnancy, obesity, and many other problems. This would keep me so busy and that is how I love to be.

As it relates to this thread:

This is only one aspect that can be beneficial in the long run for humanity in general. What all of you stated is important and I love reading about how others would view and approach the issues of helping the world. That is the only reason I wanted to post this thread. Needless to say, I haven’t posted all my ideas on the matter; I will do that in a shorter post so people aren’t scared of it.

/ZOMG where did all of this come from
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

"If you go looking for something in particular, your chances of finding it are very bad, because of all the things in the world, you're only looking for one of them. If you go looking for anything at all, your chances of finding it are very good, because of all the things in the world, you're sure to find some of them."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    You can call me Z. lol.
    Thanks

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

My main priorities are education at this instant.

I do not wish to plan so far into the future on the pretext of possibilities, I'm going for a position on research, but I'm not going to scheme anything in that field until I am actually there.

In either case, there is still too much shit going around in my country for me to even consider giving my all out to some other region of this world.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Beware of the MD/PhD program... If you really want to do research, I've heard it's much better to get your MD and then go into research. There really isn't enough time alloted in the MD/PhD program to do much. Heads up

World hunger... the problem is not directly in food production... the problem is in food management & delivery. If there's a way to shift farms to use less "oil-based" agriculture techniques... so much the better.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Darjur View Post
    My main priorities are education at this instant.

I do not wish to plan so far into the future on the pretext of possibilities, I'm going for a position on research, but I'm not going to scheme anything in that field until I am actually there.

In either case, there is still too much shit going around in my country for me to even consider giving my all out to some other region of this world.
    The people that deserve the priority of your service should always be your fellow country men. The best of people are those who are kindest to their kin and those near them. Your thoughts on the matter are noble and in the right direction so keep up the good attitude brother.

@Nightning, honestly, you may be on to something, and I enjoy your comments because you really have some great real life experience to give off good information with. Thank you for your advice, I will definitely be weighing all the pros and cons of any situation before I get my self too deep.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

You want to end world hunger? Help other nations achieve political stability. That is the biggest obstacle. Want an example? Zimbabwe.

What you do in school is relevant only for you. You won't change the world or even make it slightly better.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."