User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    istp

Default Confusion about the political correct way to discuss a race of people

I made a response to my wifes blog, which at this time is a discussion on moving up in position with the company she works for. Anyway where she is going it will be predominately black. In my comment I used the words "black folk" and "white folk". She could not believe I said this. It just totally confused me as to why. She says she couldn't say that where she works. I don't think I have a prejudice bone in my body. My closest friends at work are black. Outside of work most of my dealings are with black people. Being not prejudice, doesn't mean not seeing color. When talking with my friends, and I want to describe someone, I have to put in words like "black guy or black chick", "white guy or white chick", or Hispanic or asian. I mean how else can you describe someone without using these kinda terms or similar one. No-one seems to mind and they do the same things.

My wife is an ENFJ, and she said something like "being and ENFJ she couldn't say things like that". I dunno maybe I'm misunderstanding her.

Any insight on this would be great.
    Scuse me, gotta run, some 'feeling type' is walking towards me trying to make something called conversation

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I wish I had some for you.

I cannot seem to "keep up" with the appropriate terminology for how people should be referred to. To me, it seems like just one very large cycle:

1. A certain term goes out of vogue because it is abused or eventually used in offensive ways (or just determined to randomly be offensive).
    2. A new term is chosen as the "proper" term.
    3. After some time, this new term now is considered offensive, and yet another term is chosen as the "proper" one.

So it just keeps going and going... so badly that sometimes terms declared offensive in the past are suddenly embraced as wholesome.

And it is especially confusing to people who don't put down other people because of their race. I feel like the rules keep getting changed on me, and then I end up feeling offended that someone who read racism into my intentions when I never acted in a way that was racist or intended to be such.

Still, L4BNU can probably keep us "up to date" on what terms are appropriate. To me, it usually seems very arbitrary to what the proper words are supposed to be, even if I try to honor people's feelings, and sometimes this annoys me. I just want to shake people and tell them to hold the locus of identity within themselves and NOT allow other people's terminology to define them or threaten them.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP

Over here in the UK it got a bit crazy in the whole pc appeasement craze, the nursery ryhme Baa Baa Black sheep became offensive, a Black board became offensive. When I was a little girl you could collect the tokens on the back of jam and get a golly wog and that becamse offensive even though I collected quite a few, plus the badges. I just don't get it.

To me being racist is the way in which people say a word, not the word itself, I can call a friend an idiot and it's not offensive yet I can use that same word to be offensive when I choose too. It's context and sound what matters more than anything.

Oh and of course the source, I always find that if it's coming from a white person, that's when the word is usually associated with racism, which again is just wrong, and back onto the whole "opressed white race" thing that's happening over here, in the sense that if your white you can't stick up for being white, you have to be ashamed of it.

Personally I say it like it is, whatever helps me best describe the person, and if I need to describe the colour, I will.
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by HanoverFist View Post
    I made a response to my wifes blog, which at this time is a discussion on moving up in position with the company she works for. Anyway where she is going it will be predominately black. In my comment I used the words "black folk" and "white folk". She could not believe I said this. It just totally confused me as to why. She says she couldn't say that where she works. I don't think I have a prejudice bone in my body. My closest friends at work are black. Outside of work most of my dealings are with black people. Being not prejudice, doesn't mean not seeing color. When talking with my friends, and I want to describe someone, I have to put in words like "black guy or black chick", "white guy or white chick", or Hispanic or asian. I mean how else can you describe someone without using these kinda terms or similar one. No-one seems to mind and they do the same things.

My wife is an ENFJ, and she said something like "being and ENFJ she couldn't say things like that". I dunno maybe I'm misunderstanding her.

Any insight on this would be great.
    You need to control your woman then. And there's nothing wrong with using the term "black folks" what did she expect you to call them? "Folks with excessive pigmentation" maybe? Your wifes strange.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Sona View Post
    You need to control your woman then. And there's nothing wrong with using the term "black folks" what did she expect you to call them? "Folks with excessive pigmentation" maybe? Your wifes strange.
    Lol that's a good one. Just call me the girl with extra pigmentation please.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    Lol that's a good one. Just call me the girl with extra pigmentation please.
    I'll just call you that sexy woman with sexy ass and legs.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think that that there is no proper term for referring to a person's race, because it really isn't proper to notice and treat a person differently because of race. People do so, of course, but that doesn't mean they should. However, as far as I know, the following terms are the least derogatory:

1. Caucasian

2. African-American

3. Hispanic

4. Native American

5. Arabic

6. Pacific Islander

7. Asiatic

Because they are what I see most often in polls.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I think that that there is no proper term for referring to a person's race, because it really isn't proper to notice and treat a person differently because of race. People do so, of course, but that doesn't mean they should. However, as far as I know, the following terms are the least derogatory:

1. Caucasian

2. African-American

3. Hispanic

4. Native American

5. Arabic

6. Pacific Islander

7. Asiatic

Because they are what I see most often in polls.

MBTI
    INFP

Oh please Sona lol, everything is offensive nowadays and I know you didn't find that word offensive either, you are just joshing with her.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

If blacks want to be called African-American, then whites should be called European American. Oh, and I've been called a honkey and cracker before by a black person, but I didn't bite.