First 567

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    I understand Proteanmix's plea to call people what THEY want to be called rather than what you want to call them. But it's not as easy as that, which was the exact point of my example using the different names of organizations. Of course, I don't actually expect that some people will use "colored" because it's in the name of the NAACP, I realize that term is antiquated.

I was simply making a point, and one that I feel cannot be refuted. When the "THEY" cannot agree among themselves what they want to be called, then one cannot be criticized for choosing among the more common terms and sticking with it. If a chef is cooking dinner for five people that want to eat five different things, can you blame the chef for getting frustrated and making the dish he feels is the best compromise?
    I think the best plan is finding the term that appears to have the greatest acceptance and working with that as a default, but when you encounter someone who is not comfortable having that term applied to them, doing your best to accommodate them. It really isn't that hard. If I can call my husband Rob when I'm talking to his family when I think of him and have always known him as Don, it shouldn't be too hard to call someone "black" instead of "African-American" if you find they prefer it.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I hate being called "white".

I prefer the term "Master Race".

Thankyouverymuchgoodnight.
    Great minds think alike!

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I'm always curious about this... when exactly does race come up? I can't even remember the last time I used race outside of an example, which is always referenced.

I do often refer to the nationality of those I'm working with (I'm literally the only canadian born in my department)... but never race... It's always been the same for me. And in general, I've been taught and I believe in stripping language of these loaded terms, meaning that I'm direct about what I'm saying rather than inserting irrelevent information.... I tend to agree with it because loaded terms lead to loaded answers (ie: the "odd" race out will get different answers than a more loaded "white with more blacks" mentioned in the OP).

So, I guess I'm asking - how often do you guys find race to be relevent? I can see some jobs, like statistics and stuff, to be relevent... but I've never had this problem. Is it the job itself? The culture/country?
    I don't think race is really an issue in Canada. In Canada the issue is whether or not someone is from Quebec.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I don't think race is really an issue in Canada. In Canada the issue is whether or not someone is from Quebec.
    Bah, no one likes the French!

MBTI
    INTP

"Don't mind her. She's French-Canadian. Some days she's Canadian. Can be quite pleasant. Today she's obviously French."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Llenyd View Post
    "Don't mind her. She's French-Canadian. Some days she's Canadian. Can be quite pleasant. Today she's obviously French."
    Hey, but get them in the sack and ^_______________________________^

*runs*
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oberon

Several years ago I was online with a guy from Edmonton...this was just a few months after the Quebecois independence referendum had failed by a very narrow margin. The Edmontonite was moaning the blues because his hockey team had been knocked out of contention for the Stanley Cup.

I wrote to him "Well, look on the bright side...at least you got to keep Quebec."

He wasn't pleased with me.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Llenyd View Post
    "Zeez Englishmen...zey don't know what a tongue eez for."

MBTI
    INTP

The issue of what I believe in Canada are called the 'First Peoples' is still a bone of contention though, isn't it?

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrus View Post
    The issue of what I believe in Canada are called the 'First Peoples' is still a bone of contention though, isn't it?
    Somewhat, but mostly at the political level and in smaller rural towns. It doesn't really impact on big city life. The quebec thing is probably the sore spot, although that seems to have died down quite a bit.

I don't know how to explain it... there is racism and everything else here, especially in the smaller towns, mostly towards the interior of BC and interior provinces... but I just can't relate to the OP. Race seems so ingrained in the US that the concept of not seeing it must come from over compensation, where here race really doesn't factor in all that much. I don't need to "look beyond race"... I just don't look at race in the first place.