User Tag List

First 4567 Last

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Cool. I'll call you Walter or Roy for short. Oh, and I didn't name myself. My parents did.

(and if my bluntness pissed you off before or offended you...sorry. But really, I just don't see black, white etc. as hurtful words when refering to race. I don't mind those words myself but I guess other people might. Whatever.)
    Don't worry, I'm not offended. Just because you don't consider them hurtful words doesn't mean others don't. I personally don't care if I'm referred to as black or African-American, but that doesn't mean another black person doesn't care. Your parents named you because they had the power to name you. If you change your name wouldn't you want them to respect your decision and address you by the way you want to be addressed?

You seem not be respecting the fact that other people have the right to name themselves or decide how they want to be referred to. It's like me telling you my name and you insisting on calling me something else after I've told you don't call me that. You then add insult to injury by saying I don't care what you want to be called, I'm calling you what I want to call you. That's what I meant when I said you're taking away someone's power to name.

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    I'm sympathetic to you. It doesn't help when the groups themselves can't decide what they want to be called. We have the National Association For The Advancement of Colored People, the United Negro College Fund, and the Congressional Black Caucus. Not only that, but none of these fine organizations even uses what seems to be the consensus term for use today, "African American". I don't mean to single out this race, I'm just providing an example of how this is a very confusing issue, and it's very easy for someone to just pick a term they are comfortable using and stick with it. After all, if you're going to offend someone no matter what term you use, you might as well pick one you feel is proper.
    This is related to what I said above. I'd say you pick the one that they feel is proper, not what you feel is proper when referring to another person or group of people. And seriously, aside from in jest, do you really hear people referring to black people as "colored" or "negro"? Those organizations that you gave as examples were founded years ago and haven't updated their names. That doesn't mean they're the standard. The safest way to address black people is by African-American. Barely anyone will quibble about that.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    This is related to what I said above. I'd say you pick the one that they feel is proper, not what you feel is proper when referring to another person or group of people. And seriously, aside from in jest, do you really hear people referring to black people as "colored" or "negro"? Those organizations that you gave as examples were founded years ago and haven't updated their names. That doesn't mean they're the standard. The safest way to address black people is by African-American. Barely anyone will quibble about that.
    When I was in college in California in the 90's in an ethnic studies class, by a black professor I was told in no uncertain terms that the preferred term was simply "black" in response to me using the word "African American" in class during a discussion about race issues.

This was also confirmed by my customer service manager at a job in the late 90's, who also happened to be black and extremely professional and conscious of what she said and did. She said African American was a term that had gone out of use in professional settings. Now I don't know what other people's experiences or feelings are on the issue but it appears there is no safe standard that everyone will find acceptable.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    When I was in college in California in the 90's in an ethnic studies class, by a black professor I was told in no uncertain terms that the preferred term was simply "black" in response to me using the word "African American" in class during a discussion about race issues.

This was also confirmed by my customer service manager at a job in the late 90's, who also happened to be black and extremely professional and conscious of what she said and did. She said African American was a term that had gone out of use in professional settings. Now I don't know what other people's experiences or feelings are on the issue but it appears there is no safe standard that everyone will find acceptable.
    Of course there's not. You'll always find people that don't like black and don't like African-American, just as some Mexican Americans prefer that or Chicano. I'm not suggesting there's one term that everyone will like and I personally don't care myself. But there are safer and not so safe terms to use. To me black or African American are acceptable terms.

But I'm confused as to why this is still an issue. Even my own mother who was involved in the civil rights movement said that "colored" and "negro" weren't in vogue as far as terms to call black people during the 60s and 70s. This was well over 30 years ago. Why is there still confusion, especially among people under 40?

Here are some links to the nomenclature the U.S. government uses for race. Now anyone who reads this thread knows the safest terms, most PC (:rolli terms to use to refer to people of a different race. Negro, colored, and Oriental is not listed. This whole list may change in another 25 years and that means in 25 years people should acknowledge the new names people want to be referred to. Don't be so resistant and I hope this clears away some confusion.

In October 1997, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) announced the revised standards for federal data on race and ethnicity. The minimum categories for race are now: American Indian or Alaska Native; Asian; Black or African American; Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander; and White. Instead of allowing a multiracial category as was originally suggested in public and congressional hearings, the OMB adopted the Interagency Committee's recommendation to allow respondents to select one or more races when they self-identify. With the OMB's approval, the Census 2000 questionnaires also include a sixth racial category: Some Other Race. There are also two minimum categories for ethnicity: Hispanic or Latino and Not Hispanic or Latino. Hispanics and Latinos may be of any race.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.

MBTI
    ISTP

I'm always curious about this... when exactly does race come up? I can't even remember the last time I used race outside of an example, which is always referenced.

I do often refer to the nationality of those I'm working with (I'm literally the only canadian born in my department)... but never race... It's always been the same for me. And in general, I've been taught and I believe in stripping language of these loaded terms, meaning that I'm direct about what I'm saying rather than inserting irrelevent information.... I tend to agree with it because loaded terms lead to loaded answers (ie: the "odd" race out will get different answers than a more loaded "white with more blacks" mentioned in the OP).

So, I guess I'm asking - how often do you guys find race to be relevent? I can see some jobs, like statistics and stuff, to be relevent... but I've never had this problem. Is it the job itself? The culture/country?

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Don't be so resistant and I hope this clears away some confusion.

I wasn't trying to be resistant, I was just relating my experience with this issue.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I wasn't trying to be resistant, I was just relating my experience with this issue.
    No problem, that was a general comment although you were the last person I quoted.

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    So, I guess I'm asking - how often do you guys find race to be relevent? I can see some jobs, like statistics and stuff, to be relevent... but I've never had this problem. Is it the job itself? The culture/country?
    This is a question that has also been confusing me.
    January has April's showers
    And 2 and 2 always makes a 5

Light skin, dark skin.

Honestly, the racial concept needs to be destroyed for racism to have any hope of ceasing (or being reduced).

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I hate being called "white".

I prefer the term "Master Race".

Thankyouverymuchgoodnight.

I understand Proteanmix's plea to call people what THEY want to be called rather than what you want to call them. But it's not as easy as that, which was the exact point of my example using the different names of organizations. Of course, I don't actually expect that some people will use "colored" because it's in the name of the NAACP, I realize that term is antiquated.

I was simply making a point, and one that I feel cannot be refuted. When the "THEY" cannot agree among themselves what they want to be called, then one cannot be criticized for choosing among the more common terms and sticking with it. If a chef is cooking dinner for five people that want to eat five different things, can you blame the chef for getting frustrated and making the dish he feels is the best compromise?