User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Sona, you misspelled it as "owened." It's "owned." You 'owned' me. You bested me, and did not turn me into a person named Owen.

However, this proves that you cannot discuss race without offending people, because the categorization itself is offensive.

Also, I've never actually stated my gender, and there's a reason for that. It's because I think categorizing people by gender is rather impolite. It's so amusing to see that you've made opposite assumptions, though.

MBTI
    istp

Wow this topic turned retarded.

I'm not referring to you, athenian200, but to a certain individual who needs to be bent over and introduced to Mr. Hard One_eye
    Last edited by HanoverFist; 08-04-2007 at 06:02 PM. Reason: just because
    Scuse me, gotta run, some 'feeling type' is walking towards me trying to make something called conversation

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    All I know is, when I'm among the public at large I find that it's impossible to discuss race in any meaningful kind of way without sounding like a racist, at least to shallow thinkers. After getting tagged with that label at a former workplace, I no longer discuss race except with a few trusted friends.
    I appreciate you at least returning this thread to the scheduled topic. <hug>
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    All I know is, when I'm among the public at large I find that it's impossible to discuss race in any meaningful kind of way without sounding like a racist, at least to shallow thinkers. After getting tagged with that label at a former workplace, I no longer discuss race except with a few trusted friends.
    I have a Southern accent so when I am away from my place of birth...like I have been most of my adult life, almost anything I say or do can be twisted by someone oversensitive (or someone just looking to start something) to mean something I didn't mean. :steam: It coupled with my offline extreme shyness makes it easy for people to infer lots of things if they want to.

I had someone create racist tone to what I said about white window curtains one time at work. Having experienced that, I wouldn't dare mention anything race related outside of trusted friendships and even then only in a private places.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I have a Southern accent so when I am away from my place of birth...like I have been most of my adult life, almost anything I say or do can be twisted by someone oversensitive (or someone just looking to start something) to mean something I didn't mean. :steam: It coupled with my offline extreme shyness makes it easy for people to infer lots of things if they want to.

I had someone create racist tone to what I said about white window curtains one time at work. Having experienced that, I wouldn't dare mention anything race related outside of trusted friendships and even then only in a private places.
    People even go as far as associating white Christmas lights as racist.

And when such ridiculous associations are made, it makes people even more hateful of so-called minorities.

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

ROFL @ Sona's first post...

I think it really depends on the person. If you know someone's going to be offended by something, then don't do it. If they don't mind it, they'll think you're weird if you assume they will, whether it's to do with race, moles with hairs growing out of them, or whatever. It's silly to think you don't notice really obvious parts of a person's identity, like skin colour, or a giant mole on someone's forehead. If it's something you're able to bug them about, then don't make it an issue. They know.

I personally crack racist jokes all the time. However, just as you should never make really serious, hurtful comments or "jokes" about anyone, this includes groups of people. I call black people I know well chocolate faces (hey, it's a term of endearment..they're rare in these parts), and black people I don't know well black people. Thing is, I'm only close with, like, five. Everyone else is asian...haha.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    People even go as far as associating white Christmas lights as racist.

And when such ridiculous associations are made, it makes people even more hateful of so-called minorities.
    I cannot agree with this. I would never "hate" people just because of certain people being hair triggered about issues. That would make me just like the hair triggered people!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Sona, you misspelled it as "owened." It's "owned." You 'owned' me. You bested me, and did not turn me into a person named Owen.

However, this proves that you cannot discuss race without offending people, because the categorization itself is offensive.

Also, I've never actually stated my gender, and there's a reason for that. It's because I think categorizing people by gender is rather impolite. It's so amusing to see that you've made opposite assumptions, though.
    Yeah I did notice the typo. I was just hoping no one would noticed. lol.

MBTI
    ENFj
    Enneagram
    2w3

Quote Originally Posted by Hanoverfist
    Anyway where she is going it will be predominately black. In my comment I used the words "black folk" and "white folk". She could not believe I said this. It just totally confused me as to why. She says she couldn't say that where she works. I don't think I have a prejudice bone in my body.
    Where you work and where I work are completely different environments. People skills are not exactly high on the priority list. At my job it's right at the top. I work in a female-dominated environment which also makes a difference. Women tend to be much more sensitive what/how things are said. They also tend to talk more with each other and statements can get twisted quite easily. I choose not to put myself in that position.

I feel that it's necessary especially with getting promoted to set a standard. I overheard the ladies talking about me on my first couple of days. I'm pretty f*cking sure they wanted me to hear due to the way they positioned themselves. I was not intimidated, chose to fight it and stuck around. I have a feeling that some people haven't. My manager had already warned me about what it would be like. I was prepared. Anyway one of the older,wiser black ladies came up to me a few days after that. She said "You know that no matter what you do some of these people are not going to like you just because......". She didn't finish but the message was still understood non-verbally with a slight pat on my hand. I am pleased to report that some of these women who were some of my biggest critics have changed demeanor completely towards me. They seem to have genuine respect. The older lady mentioned above stated a few days ago "you know girl you are going to do just fine over there!".

With customers too you have to be especially careful. Not just here but even back home the "race card" has been dealt to me numerous times. I WILL NOT PLAY THE GAME. I experience subtle forms of racism at least a couple of days a week. I get it from black customers most often probably because I am in the minority. I get little comments from white customers too. From them it seems as though it's an almost sympathetic tone which pretty well disgusts me. Racism is alive and well especially in the South (and probably everywhere in the world) and no race is immune. It takes a more subtle tone even here or so it seems. I guess I could just be "strange" or maybe just too sensitive to implication. Either way not playing the game with anyone is my choice. I think it's a smart choice and not strange at all.

I know you are not prejudice. The part that surprised me was that you stated it like you made mention of it in that manner on a regular basis kind-of nonchalantly. In your environment it's much more acceptable it seems. I agree that you can't not notice what color someone is right in front of you. I feel it's part of my job in the sometimes precarious position I am in to not even mention race if I can help it. It cannot at times be avoided if it needs described. When people are doing strange things it has to be example: "you see that (insert race) guy over in department XX he's doing (insert theft-related activity)" etc. and things of that nature. There could be several people over there and only one person you see doing shady things. You have to describe them. Even when I do that I would prefer to go with something else that is descriptive of them like "he's wearing the red shirt." Some of the people at my work are very comfortable discussing "the white folks" and "the black folks". I don't want to get comfortable in making distinctions based on race. I feel being a manager it's my responsibility to set the tone of acceptable behaviors. Reality is that it cannot be completely avoided and this I understand fully. When my co-workers are comfortable saying things I'm not it doesn't shock me nor do I act like it does. If I were to act that way it would be used against me later guaranteed. It would be a chip in the wall of leadership I am attempting to build. I walk a pretty fine line of diplomacy in the matter. I do not find slang terms acceptable at all but nobody has crossed that line. Athenian gave good examples of how to play it safe though casual (white/black) is used most often. You didn't offend me by saying that. I mentioned color in my post as well. I just wanted to make you aware (from an NF view) that things can be taken differently then you mean them. You have been just fine for almost 46 years doing what you do without my advice. I hope I didn't come off as condemning or judgmental which was not my intention. I shouldn't have mentioned it but I did and that's my fault. I hope by reading my standpoint you have a better understanding instead of just listening to me talk because if this is mostly what you heard
    My wife is an ENFJ, and she said something like "being and ENFJ she couldn't say things like that". I dunno maybe I'm misunderstanding her
    then we can end the debate if you are "really listening"!!
    "At points of clarity, I realize that my life on earth is meaningless, and that I am merely a pawn in a bigger game. A game I cannot possibly understand or have control of. Thankfully, before depression sets in, I drift back into my cloudy, bewildered daily routine." **Joel Patrick Warneke**

MBTI
    istp

I thought this was a theoretical discussion and not a debate
    Scuse me, gotta run, some 'feeling type' is walking towards me trying to make something called conversation