User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Default How do you work under stress?

I'm curious to see if there's a correlation between how well people work under stress and type.

Personally, I almost can't work under stress. I basically seclude myself in my room, shut the outside world out, and have a nervous breakdown while becoming obsessed with stupid details. I also tend to get worse at what I do. Working on school assignments is nearly impossible for me under stress, and I can't study well for any subjects that require complex thought.

It also takes a lot to stress me out though.
    The probability that I was procrastinating when I was typing this post:

P(have big assignment due) = 0.6
    P(posting on TypoC) = 0.2
    P(having big assignment due | posting on TypoC) = 0.7

P(posting on TypoC | having big assignment due) = .......

Eh, I'll finish it later.

MBTI
    ISFJ

I work very well under stress. The problem is getting stressed. It never ceases to amaze me how easily I can dismiss apparently imperative tasks without even flinching. Start questioning the imperativeness of said task and all hell breaks loose...the hell of laziness that it.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

I simply don't.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Let's say there's a little bit of optimal amount of stress. It's not very much, basically, if my day is sufficiently full but not excessively I work best. Any amount of stress over this (low) threshold results in a situation similar to what's described by the OP, I become rather obsessed and can't focus very well on tasks.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I actually function well under stress, by locking everything down; I don't have emotional explosions, I tend to get more detached if anything at first.

However, if the stress gets too large/inescapable and keeps going far too long, I become utterly unproductive. And prone to freaking out... if I don't withdraw by that point completely.

I had to function under a lot of stress as a child, without showing any fear or emotion about it (because it wasn't safe). That can be useful sometimes, but it also involved a lot of detaching and emotion-smothering.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

It depends how you define working well.

Like Jennifer I lock down. Then I push through till I'm finished.
    You can't see that I'm stressed but I'm spent when I'm done.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

don't get stressed easily...but i go into hyperdrive i think...super fast clear headed mode and work it out.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Depends on how much stress. Too much, and I have a panic attack before anything happens. Too little, and I don't care about the project. But once the stress has reached critical mass, I compartmentalise the work into sections, alot the needed amount of time for each section, and work within those constraints. Though, I also alot plenty of time for breaks so I don't lose my mind.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

The thing is that I don't get stressed in general. I can be somewhat annoyed if there is too much things to do and too little time. I could use more stress in life since I am too phlegmatic in some cases.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm easily stressed by minor incidents. Under pressure I have a harder time concentrating and as a consequence of my ever lasting fidgitiness I'll start pacing between jobs. Sometimes I obsess about every little mistake I've made/might make and how it will cause a chain reaction of bad voodoo. But it's a completely different story when the element of danger is added to the situation. Then I'm calm, calculated, and often take some form of leadership.
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.