User Tag List

First 12345 Last

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

How did you discover Typology Central (formerly MBTI Central)?
    I was around at INTPc when this place was spawned.

Why did you join Typology Central?
    To escape the increasingly silly race war at INTPc. And because it was new, and all my friends were doing it.

Why have you continued interacting at Typology Central?
    It's all about teh funnies. And I like some of the people here (the reasons why I do are still unclear to me).

(Do you plan to continue? If so, for how long?)
    Well, I don't specifically plan not to. So I'll probably maintain my current inertia, as changing that would involve energy expenditure. And I don't go there.

Ultimately, how does your participation at Typology Central impact you?
    It's an enormous time sink that gives me a false sense of life-having, thereby suppressing any impulses to pursue a real life.

What would you say to any potential future members?
    Anything you say can and will be used against you in a torrent of snark.
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

MBTI
    INTJ

Through INTPc. I discovered INTPc via Google around the time that this place opened, made an intro thread over there and posted there for a few weeks, and then I found out about this place and never looked back (except for the time I shut up Hustler). I much prefer an inclusive environment to a(ny) type-centric one.

Well, if you had asked me in April 2007, I would have said that I wanted to interact with and benefit from the insight and experience of other people who knew MBTI in order to improve my understanding of MBTI, including my typing skills. And there's certainly an element of truth in that, but honestly, I would not have posted here as much as I have if I had not needed a safe sandbox for my personal development: After having been confronted IRL with my INTJ closed-minded certitude tendencies, I acted them out here (e.g. INTJ intimidation), analyzed them (e.g. Echoes of Eco and Mutters of Others) and finally (while I was on a you-can't-fire-me-because-I-quit hiatus from the forum; see my posts from March of this year for an explanation ) got them out of my system.

See above, although the refreshingly high intelligence level here deserves an honorable mention.

I expect to continue my current quasi-lurking with sporadic posting bursts in the foreseeable future, barring the possibility that I may cut down on my internet use in order to concentrate* on deserving the PhD stipend that I'm currently trying to capture. I don't expect (/hope) to ever again (need to) post as frequently as I did around one year ago.

* Recently, there's been a little too conspicuous a correlation between my posting and my procrastination: Last week I wrote this post while I ostensibly felt too tired to continue working on my thesis defense and writing this post means I'll be starting on today's work that much later.

See above.

What would you say to any potential future members?

Take advantage of the rare combination of anonymity and high-quality social feedback that the forum offers to experiment with your persona. Unlike in RL, the consequences are slight - at worst you'll have to or want to leave the forum - but as with all experimentation the rewards are potentially great in terms of determining for yourself the results of a certain behavior.

... Of course, the anonymity is a double-edged sword for such personal development since online it is also easier to ignore or rationalize unwelcome feedback and maintain a more flattering evaluation of how one is perceived by others. In order to short-circuit one's tendency to kid oneself on that score, I highly recommend doing Johari/Nohari charts and inviting especially those you perceive to be your adversaries on the forum to fill them out. Doing so served as a wake-up call for me, at any rate.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    I was looking for clarification on how MBTI worked after researching it for a while and failing to get a good idea of how it applied to actual people. I saw that many INTPs on INTPc had theories on this and that some had even tried to extend it in various ways, so I joined briefly out of curiosity. I was directed here shortly thereafter by an INTPc member named Dr. Haight.

Because it seemed as though it would sate my curiosity at the time.

I've made friends (and enemies) here that keep dragging me back if I drift away, and there are occasionally interesting topics. I've tried to quit coming here several times in the past (due to both feeling overly invested in/threatened by forum politics, and boredom with the same old things being churned up), but I've never been able to stick with my resolution. So I suppose I plan to continue until I get bored with it and nothing is left to pull me back.

It makes me an obsessive wreck who hits the refresh key too often, and satisfies my intellectual and interaction needs at the same time.

What would you say to any potential future members?[/B]
    You may want to avoid this place for a while longer if you're still really into something else. This place may suck you in and eat a lot of your attention on the Internet.
    Finally, thank you for your time!
    You're quite welcome.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Default Why are you here?

Explain why you joined Typology central. I joined so I could have more understanding and acceptance for the people in my life.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Banned
    MBTI
    type

To spread correctness.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Do you want to know why I originally joined, or why I'm here now? The answers differ.

I originally joined in order to further my understanding of MBTI through discussion. I'm still here because there are a lot of like-minded people here who I've befriended.

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    ;) sx
    Socionics
    ENFp

(....jack confuses me)
    I came to see if I could talk about mbti and gain a deeper understanding of it so I could further understand and improve myself, and understand others and maybe point out how they could improve themselves in a way that they'd recieve positively.
    -Brio

"I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life; I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well."
    -Teddy Roosevelt

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I think I joined to test the theory. If it had any truth, the type differences should be visible through the way people talk and all that...

But now I am here because this is a nice forum with nice people.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

I originally came here to waste valuable time and to further develop my procrastination skills, I'm still here cause it worked.

Also I was looking for something that the forum I was frequenting at the time couldn't offer but couldnít quite figure out what, turns out it was people with the same MBTI type as me

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

I joined because I'm interested in MBTI theory and people.
    I want to understand people even if it's not possible to understand them/us totally.