User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Interesting. I think that I've seen people do things like this when showing off. "I could do this with one hand tied behind my back!"

I think I'm not really the "strotting" type, but I think there are times my behavior has been interpreted as strotting. For instance, I used to deliberately sit alone at lunch every day and never try to engage anyone in conversation. After a while of my doing this my freshman year, a group of boys that were seniors insisted that I sit with them. Basically, these were very arrogant people with high opinions of themselves... and they ended up talking to me because they were stunned that I would have that much pride (that is, to deem no one worthy of my attention) without having earned it, and moreover that I didn't seem afraid of them. In reality I just wasn't interested in talking to people.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Interesting. I think that I've seen people do things like this when showing off. "I could do this with one hand tied behind my back!"

I think I'm not really the "strotting" type, but I think there are times my behavior has been interpreted as strotting. For instance, I used to deliberately sit alone at lunch every day and never try to engage anyone in conversation. After a while of my doing this my freshman year, a group of boys that were seniors insisted that I sit with them. Basically, these were very arrogant people with high opinions of themselves... and they ended up talking to me because they were stunned that I would have that much pride (that is, to deem no one worthy of my attention) without having earned it, and moreover that I didn't seem afraid of them. In reality I just wasn't interested in talking to people.
    Heh, it is interesting. Would you think that sense of humor can also be interpreted as "stotting(Particularly the self-effacing brand of humor)?" For some reason stotting reminds me of the crossover in basketball. A lot of the time it is done over zealously, but seems to signal competency. Now I'm not suggesting that humans are necessarily genetically endowed with this trait as some other animals are, but it just seems like we at least intellectually implement this into our daily lives.

Interesting thoughts and input so far everyone.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by WithoutaFace View Post
    Would you think that sense of humor can also be interpreted as "stotting(Particularly the self-effacing brand of humor)?"
    I suppose so. In that case, I probably use a lot of it.
    For some reason stotting reminds me of the crossover in basketball. A lot of the time it is done over zealously, but seems to signal competency. Now I'm not suggesting that humans are necessarily genetically endowed with this trait as some other animals are, but it just seems like we at least intellectually implement this into our daily lives.
    Well, I can see how an NT would be inclined to see things in these terms.

I suppose it does signal that on some level, but I think a lot of it can be unintentional, just for fun, or as a trick. I think sometimes it might not just be used to signal competence, but also be used to make others think you are and intimidate them.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I suppose it does signal that on some level, but I think a lot of it can be unintentional, just for fun, or as a trick. I think sometimes it might not just be used to signal competence, but also be used to make others think you are and intimidate them.
    Good point. Mind games and tacit negotations.

MBTI
    INTJ

To be honest, all this documentation on a hypothesis of animal behavior has not exactly provided me with anything profound. Although, it is inspiring me to just experiment a hell of a lot more (with life in general).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by WithoutaFace View Post
    Mind games and tacit negotations.
    I've been in more of those than I'd like. Sometimes it feels like I'm living in "Death Note," sans the book.