First 123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    ^ I think having no common sense is crippling.

I mean, It'd probably be cool to know I had a higher IQ than I think I would.. but having a low or average one wouldn't make me feel any less capable.
    I agree.
    I mean, the higher IQ people ought to be proud - but as for the average-ish IQ people, the hard work and effort can make up for the extra brains.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by persianness View Post
    I agree.
    I mean, the higher IQ people ought to be proud - but as for the average-ish IQ people, the hard work and effort can make up for the extra brains.
    Keep dreaming

*tease*
    -poke-
    *tease*
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I took one when I was 16 and getting tested for learning disabilities (yawn).

Based on the questions, I couldn't see how it could have been very accurate, especially at far ends of the bell curve.

Anyway, knowing that I got the result I got doesn't really change anything for me.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I would not. I don't think IQ is anything more than a number. The reality is, if you have an IQ of 200 and you have no common sense, you're still an idiot.
    Aw, I don't got much the common sense. I don't wanna be an idiot though.

Everyone at my elementary school took IQ tests but my parents would never show us our scores. It seemed a little silly because I think the idea was that they didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. (6 kids)

Well it was pretty obvious to all of us who the quickies were and who werent, so it almost made it seem worse. "You guys can't get your results because then whoever is dumb would feel dumb" is what it felt like.

Why is seeing the IQ scores so different from seeing any test score?

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Why is seeing the IQ scores so different from seeing any test score?
    Because intelligence test are supposed to sample into your mental abilities, wheras most tests in school merely tell you how well you've performed/achieved over a certain time period. Ability is different than effort

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    Because intelligence test are supposed to sample into your mental abilities, wheras most tests in school merely tell you how well you've performed/achieved over a certain time period. Ability is different than effort
    But you can't really test for ability.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Well my point really is that some people say IQ tests don't really measure much, then why not be interested in the score as just part of what makes you up. So you can test well and you can grasp concepts that not everyone can grasp.

It would be much better if it was phrased in a different way. Sometimes it seems to be the end all "number" Being able to do well on an IQ test isn't the only measure of a man.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Well my point really is that some people say IQ tests don't really measure much, then why not be interested in the score as just part of what makes you up. So you can test well and you can grasp concepts that not everyone can grasp.

It would be much better if it was phrased in a different way. Sometimes it seems to be the end all "number" Being able to do well on an IQ test isn't the only measure of a man.
    You're absolutely right, but people can still become self-concious about it. Your parents were justified in not showing you and your siblings imo

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    But you can't really test for ability.
    I think there has always been propaganda (false) correlating IQ and intelligence and no one wants to be told he/she is dumb. Tests and school performance are more about effort like Nozflubber said.

The finality of being told your ability is low (even if it's not true;even if it can't be measured) outshines the knowledge that you have been lazy and because of that, got an F at school. The latter can supposedly be changed while the former seems predetermined.

MBTI
    INFP

I don't know what's up with the IQ tests which are in present use. Perhaps they have been altered to recognize the cultural differences now. But in the day, when I was working, a common complaint was that the standardized test that was being used by the State of MN was developed to test the intelligence of the white male. Perhaps since education was also more standardized in those days, and also probably directed to white males, it is possible that the test was valid. These are things beyond my educational scope.

Because the group of women I hung out with had one member who was studying to be a psychologist and she needed to practice testing we all knew our IQs. It was fun.

I liked knowing my IQ and found it affirming because, as an INFP, I had been told many times that I was bright so how come I didn't "get it" when it came to math. (I liked even better when I found out I was INFP and why math was so difficult for me!)

One of us tested in the 190s. She was a dear woman and fun but, in social conversation, her concepts were nearly unintelligible to us. She had a great deal of difficulty in social settings and was unhappy about it.

I also have a cousin who tests in the high genius range who was teaching at the U of M in the physics department by the time he was twenty-one. While he could retire, he is working for the government and travels around the world working on some secret projects so I don't know what he does. But, while his career life has been pretty impressive, his private life has been disastrous and he has resigned himself to the life of a working hermit.

Certainly intelligence is not the only measure of a life well-lived.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer