User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    GONE

S's and N's make connections just differently.

For instance, if you talk about the same person - and S will connect the dots to cause and effect and behavior.

Actually, I have no idea, this is just a guess from talking to a few S friends.
    S: "This person drinks a lot at parties [cause] and gets belligerent [effect]. I am going to stay away from this person because it's a negative behavior and dangerous [conclusion]."

N: "This person is really angry and hurt and confused. I see they are very guarded with people and mistrustful. [cause] When they drink, it lets out their inhibitions and they get testy and say all the things they feel like they can't when they're drinking [effect]. I'm going to stay away from this person because they're volatile and I don't want to be around negative energy [conclusion]

Yes? No?

High Se people are very observant - they know what, where, when, why - and aware of their environments. They connect dots along observables. High Ne are very perceptive and aware of their environments. They connect dots along intangibles and hypotheticals and hunches.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by lkpo14 View Post
    Is it true that N types make connections between information he gets at the moment and older ones, and S types dont?
    Not exactly. The types of connections they make are different, but S's make connections also.

Why do you ask?

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    No. But N make connections that have a bit of an higher risk-return. They're more often wrong, but when they're right, the connection is brillant.
    I would agree most with this description of the dichotomy. In MBTI type, the preference is still determined by the person's CP order, it doesn't indicate the effective strength of the preferences (it is often assumed that people who use certain functions more will be more effective with them)

intuitives tend to take a top-down approach while sensors build from the bottom up... effectively this makes intuitives more suited towards developing theory because it can assume legitimacy for lack of any confounding evidence, meanwhile sensors are suited towards practical developments because they mentally abide by the "rules of reality" and are more likely to understand what can be done in a concrete sense...

put simply, intuitives validate the general idea regardless of the details, sensors validate the practical possibilities (or lack thereof) regardless of the general idea--obviously most people fall somewhere between the two. without the intuitive approach, we would not have the material we need for efficient growth, without the sensing approach we would not survive the present realities or effectively apply our knowledge.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    S's and N's make connections just differently.

For instance, if you talk about the same person - and S will connect the dots to cause and effect and behavior.

Actually, I have no idea, this is just a guess from talking to a few S friends.
    S: "This person drinks a lot at parties [cause] and gets belligerent [effect]. I am going to stay away from this person because it's a negative behavior and dangerous [conclusion]."

N: "This person is really angry and hurt and confused. I see they are very guarded with people and mistrustful. [cause] When they drink, it lets out their inhibitions and they get testy and say all the things they feel like they can't when they're drinking [effect]. I'm going to stay away from this person because they're volatile and I don't want to be around negative energy [conclusion]

Yes? No?

High Se people are very observant - they know what, where, when, why - and aware of their environments. They connect dots along observables. High Ne are very perceptive and aware of their environments. They connect dots along intangibles and hypotheticals and hunches.
    My guess... Ns like to make abstract connections. In particularly Ni will try to see (or make up) the underlaying "principles" behind everything and attempt to connect everything under the sun together as one. When it comes to Ne, it grabs on to particular pieces of an event and try to link those together.

This is different from the Si systematic comparison where it does exact point-to-point comparison with what's presently happening to what it recalls from the past. I'm not sure exactly how Se makes connections... it is the most spontaneous of all perceiving functions.

Anyways, my point is N make connections by picking and choosing selected aspects of the event. S make connections by overlaying past and present together like 2 sheets of transparencies... leaving no stone unturned.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    intuitives tend to take a top-down approach while sensors build from the bottom up... effectively this makes intuitives more suited towards developing theory because it can assume legitimacy for lack of any confounding evidence, meanwhile sensors are suited towards practical developments because they mentally abide by the "rules of reality" and are more likely to understand what can be done in a concrete sense...

put simply, intuitives validate the general idea regardless of the details, sensors validate the practical possibilities (or lack thereof) regardless of the general idea--obviously most people fall somewhere between the two. without the intuitive approach, we would not have the material we need for efficient growth, without the sensing approach we would not survive the present realities or effectively apply our knowledge.
    That's a good description. Top down vs bottom up approach.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca