• No

12 27.27%
  • The life of a gypsy is more my thing

11 25.00%
123 Last

MBTI
    infp

Default Have you come home?

I just wanted to know how many of you have actually made it home, to a place that isn't just a house, a roof over your head, but your actual home. The place you come back to with joy, the place that makes you feel comfortable and content when you reach it, secure in the knowledge that you are in your castle safe and sound.

I have moved around a fair amount since I was a teenageer, all in all I have moved 25 times, 23 of those were moves from the age of 13, the other 2 were pre teen.

None of them were home, none of them had the feel of a home, they were just places I stayed, even when my name was on the tenancy agreement, they were still just a stop by gap filler until the next place.

Now I am supposedly settled, in what should be my home, yet it still doesn't feel right. The thought of staying here for years on end makes me feel mightily unhappy.

It's a nice house as houses go, but it is just a house.

I get flighty, I get itchy feet and I get pretty depressed after a few years in one place. I'm not at that stage yet, only been here for half a year so far but I know it will come because I am already dreaming of something different.

I even move my furniture around all the time to at least give me the semblence of change.

Are you home or do your roots never take either?
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Nah, I'm home. You're just a nomad.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I'd say my parents' house when I was growing up was "good enough" to be a home. It felt like home, and I lived there for 12 years, right now I'm kind of living there but probably moving out soon. There are of course all the memories attached to a place (my local area, not just my house) where I've met all my best friends, all my acquaintances, experienced "love," etc. It is the place where I became who I am. So to me, it has a lot of meaning, and I would probably consider it "home."

But now I have the chance, as I find my own job and my own house, to find a "new home," and I think it can be done. Probably. I know I'll be looking for the spot that I can feel at home, and not just some place where I survive, deal with it, and can manage things. That's "enough," but it's nicer to be completely at home where you live, and I'd certainly want that.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    I just wanted to know how many of you have actually made it home, to a place that isn't just a house, a roof over your head, but your actual home. The place you come back to with joy, the place that makes you feel comfortable and content when you reach it, secure in the knowledge that you are in your castle safe and sound.

I have moved around a fair amount since I was a teenageer, all in all I have moved 25 times, 23 of those were moves from the age of 13, the other 2 were pre teen.

None of them were home, none of them had the feel of a home, they were just places I stayed, even when my name was on the tenancy agreement, they were still just a stop by gap filler until the next place.

Now I am supposedly settled, in what should be my home, yet it still doesn't feel right. The thought of staying here for years on end makes me feel mightily unhappy.

It's a nice house as houses go, but it is just a house.

I get flighty, I get itchy feet and I get pretty depressed after a few years in one place. I'm not at that stage yet, only been here for half a year so far but I know it will come because I am already dreaming of something different.

I even move my furniture around all the time to at least give me the semblence of change.

Are you home or do your roots never take either?
    Yes, I am at home.

My home is Australia and I am an Australian.

I live in the designer home of Canberra, the Capital of Australia.

I am at home in Western culture. So much so I love to see my culture develop and grow.

I am at home in Western thought - and I love to read and think.

I am at home with women and women seem to be at home with me.

I am particularly at home with Australian humour and I laugh with my fellow Australians through the day, every day.

I am at home in the surf. And I am at home in the Bush.

I am at home in the Lucky Country and lucky to be here.

Home is where my heart is.

Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so

I have roots, but not at my own will, if that makes sense. Obligations keep me here and they will continue to do so for at least another year. If not for those obligations I would have moved. To where? I don't know. Wherever strikes my fancy. *shrug*

I just came "home" from Europe and I already have the itch to travel again. (I was thinking Vancouver.) I suppose having a secure place that I can call home is comforting, but I don't think I could stay in one place for too long. If there is such a place for me I have yet to find it.
    You can't always do it right, you can always do what's left.

Thoughts rearrange. Familiar now strange. All my skin is drifting on the wind.~

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilen View Post
    Nah, I'm home. You're just a nomad.
    Most likely lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post

But now I have the chance, as I find my own job and my own house, to find a "new home," and I think it can be done. Probably. I know I'll be looking for the spot that I can feel at home, and not just some place where I survive, deal with it, and can manage things. That's "enough," but it's nicer to be completely at home where you live, and I'd certainly want that.
    That's what I want too, a place I feel completely at home.

I wonder if the whole "idealising" thing is what makes me shift around so much, that I have this image in my head, and a feeling that I know I should recognise when I find it, but nothing ever comes up to scratch.

For a brief moment I thought this place would be my home, but the feeling was fleeting.

violaine

Until recently, I used to feel like a total wanderer. I had lived in nice places but would always be looking to the horizon for the next place to go after a time. I would feel very unsettled or become deathly bored, especially living somewhere very pretty. I have lived all over the place in the last few years.

Anyway, in the last year I moved somewhere that I really love and I feel completely at home. Sometimes I wonder if I also love it because it was hard work to get there. (I moved countries a few times.) I think a large part of it is that I feel very unfettered where I live at present too.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by sanveane View Post
    Until recently, I used to feel like a total wanderer. I had lived in nice places but would always be looking to the horizon for the next place to go after a time. I would feel very unsettled or become deathly bored, especially living somewhere very pretty. I have lived all over the place in the last few years.

Anyway, in the last year I moved somewhere that I really love and I feel completely at home. Sometimes I wonder if I also love it because it was hard work to get there. (I moved countries a few times.) I think a large part of it is that I feel very unfettered where I live at present too.
    Yes, that's what it feels like. I'm glad you have found your home sanveane.

Maybe moving countries might help.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    Most likely lol.
    With 'Berber' in your username, that was no secret - though it's mostly a stereotype.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilen View Post
    With 'Berber' in your username, that was no secret - though it's mostly a stereotype.
    My grandfather was quite nomadic, although he settled eventually when he had his 5th child. My father used to regale us with stories of all the places they travelled when he was a child, must have caught the bug during those story tellings.