User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you rather be stressed or bored?

86. You may not vote on this poll
  • J: bored is better

20 23.26%
  • J: stressed is better

12 13.95%
  • P: bored is better

35 40.70%
  • P: stressed is better

19 22.09%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Would you rather be stressed or bored?

12 and a half weeks Array BerberElla's Avatar

Bored, since my being bored is highly unlikely with my imagination. Stress though, I hate stress, sure I get more done, but the toll it takes on me isn't worth it.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

Queen hunter Array Virtual ghost's Avatar
    135 so/sp

I am not sure that I belong to any of this caregories.

If I have nothing to do I can always retreat to my mind, actually I am there most of the time. As for stress I dont have much problems with it. I know that this sounds like quite bold thing to say, but the thing is that I don't think that there is something known as purpose. I dont mean that there is no purpose.
    I mean that entire" purpose vs. pointless" thing is biased.
    Because of this I don't get "excited".

I'd love to answer but I can't recall the last time I was stressed out. Unless we are talking about human interaction.

At this point I would prefer stress.

Stress can make me be incredibly efficient in the work department....and for a day or two, IS okay. However, have me stressed out for a whole week, and by about Thursday, unless it's something that I really care will transition to "f*** it, I don't care".
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

Senior Member Array simpleamazement's Avatar

How much stress? We NEED some sort of stress in our lives, but not so much as to make you ill.

And boredom is very easily cured, at least for me.

So if we're talking stress like trying to meet a deadline or else you're fired from your job, I'll pass.

homo-loving sonovagun Array anii's Avatar

I'd rather be bored than stressed because if I'm bored I can always choose to do something interesting, whereas if I'm stressed it's more than likely caused by external forces over which I have little control.
    There's reason to be afraid, and reason to open your heart. ~ Seal

Refreshment for your ears:

I'll recycle what I wrote in Trinity's blag (slightly edited for grammarz):

Depends if we're talking about work or home. If it's work, I need stress and pressure and deadlines and multitasking. Otherwise, meh, don't wanna be there. (Of course, you can always have too much of a good thing.)

At home, I want quiet and calm. No urgency, no deadlines, no pressure.

cascademn describes it well:

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    Actually I think I prefer stress.

Boredom is the absolute worst for me -- it's my enemy when it comes to jobs. I tend to get depressed and introvert in a bad way when I don't really have anything to do at work for more than one day. However, when I feel I'm almost 'too busy' and have 'too much to do', I get a lot of adrenaline and become super efficient and work well. So there's a weird energy associated with that sort of stress. Obviously too much of it, for too prolonged a time, would be a bad thing, but at least on the job I prefer it to boredom. I like having more of a sense of accomplishment, too, rather than not doing anything, and not having anything to do.
    I had a boring job a couple of years back. I lasted 5 months but I think it messed me up more in the long run than the job before that one, which was too stressful and busy. I was climbing the walls with the boring job. It sapped me of motivation, I couldn't see the point in being there and it eventually got me down, as well as pretty pissed off at management (our team was carefully hand picked but they didn't end up giving us any decent work to do). much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

Good points. A certain amount of stress is not only necessary but also healthy.

Meh. I don 't like either so I don't "do" them.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Senior Member Array cloakofsnow's Avatar

I'd rather be bored, unless I become so bored that I feel stressed about it.

I'd rather be neither. To be stressed out and bored to tears are states I do not like to be in.

So my approach to this question is rather logical if I do say so myself:

I'd rather be bored because it's much more easily remedied. The change from 'bored' to 'not bored' is pretty fast, inexpensive, and simple.

The change from 'stressed' to 'not stressed' on the other hand is usually not simple and includes more stress, work, complications, and is usually not fast, nor easy, nor even cheap.

Having said all that, I'd rather a have a low to medium level of 'stress' i.e. physical stress like adrenaline and lack of sleep because I'm busy and enjoying life and working towards goals and excited and activated than having a low level of boredom because ennui and routine has entered my life.

Um wait that didn't make sense.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux