User Tag List

Thread: INTJ or INFJ

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default INTJ or INFJ

After reading the accusations that most of the NT's are mis-typed and doing some research, I find myself having an identity crisis.

I've always thought that the 4w5 Enneagram was a kind of weird fit for the INTJ personality type, but accepted that its possible. After reading more about the INFJ's though I have to notice a lot of similarities between the types.

So, how can a person know for sure INTJ or INFJ?

Shared Characteristics that I have:
    Don't enjoy spontaneous physical contact
    Idealistic
    Strong INtuition
    Hide feelings and reactions, shared only with a select few
    Strong focus on future and possibilities
    Good students
    Perfectionism
    Tendency toward arrogance or 'know it all'
    Creativity
    Can see the 'grand scheme' of things, mostly intuitively

Personal INFJ tendencies I have
    Love reading (My Mother grounded me from books when I was little because it was the only thing I would be upset about her taking away)Great writing skills, more prone to Poetry, metaphors etc
    Dislike conflict
    At work, become more attached to people that the 'system'

Personal INTJ tendencies I have
    Very Pragmatic
    Suspicious and skeptical of 'reality' and its use
    very Self Confident - Don't care too much what others think
    Very independent, since I was little (but I'm also an eldest child)
    Strong individualist

Keep in mind that the Enneagram 4w5 is THE Individualist, seeking to not be 'abandoned' or 'forgotten' because of being 'ordinary'. They also feel things very deeply, hurt, happiness, etc.

So how does one sort through this messiness of conflicting personas to discover the TRUTH!!!

Embrace the possibilities.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

While I get along with both personalities I find a marked difference between the two.

In my experience the INFJ is more internally conflicted. The INTJ's are more driven to analysis.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Just for kicks, I re-did the MBTI test and it ranked the percentage for each preference. It still came back INTJ but the numbers were low for T and J.

I - 100
    N - 50
    T - 12
    J - 1

I was unable to decide between ENTJ and INTJ too, so I've checked the functions, and my Ni seems to be stronger than my Te, so... that's it.

What about you? Can you decide between Te and Fe as a second function? Which one do you use more often / easier?

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Hmmmm somehow I see some items for your INTJ and INFJ list can go both ways...

I also have an identity crisis. Goes with too much experimentations I think....
    Anyways,

Quote Originally Posted by Misty_Mountain_Rose View Post
    I've always thought that the 4w5 Enneagram was a kind of weird fit for the INTJ personality type, but accepted that its possible. After reading more about the INFJ's though I have to notice a lot of similarities between the types.
    Many INTJ and INFJ are 4w5... However it definitely indicates you're IN.

Love reading (My Mother grounded me from books when I was little because it was the only thing I would be upset about her taking away)Great writing skills, more prone to Poetry, metaphors etc
    Love of reading and enjoyment of literature seems to be shared by both INTJ and INFJ. Actually, it's more like INXX...

Dislike conflict
    What do you mean by dislike conflict? The key behind establishing the difference between INTJ and INFJ often lies in Fi vs Fe. So WHY do you dislike conflict?

So how does one sort through this messiness of conflicting personas to discover the TRUTH!!!

What truth? There is no truth... only our best guesses.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    What do you mean by dislike conflict? The key behind establishing the difference between INTJ and INFJ often lies in Fi vs Fe. So WHY do you dislike conflict?
    Thats a hard question... I don't think I've ever thought of it in terms of why, it seemed kind of internalized.

I don't know enough about telling Fe and Fi apart, but I can try to explain what I dislike about it I suppose.

When people argue, or direct their anger at me, I feel insecure. I feel that they become more unpredictable when they are upset and I don't like that unpredictability. I never know what to say to make them feel better and I dont know how to help. For a long time I looked at people who couldn't control their temper as weak or irrational and had a kind of distain for them until I realized how much it was costing me physically by holding my own anger inside. I would literally become ill or tremble from head to toe when I was angry, but the person I was arguing with didn't see it. It was imperative to me to remain 'in control'.

If we assume the tension is lower level... say two coworkers at the office who have an ongoing rivalry or conflict of personalities, I tend to be the peacekeeper without anyone really knowing about it. Its very covert. I am usually friends with everyone, I rarely encounter people that I don't get along with, and I am often the confidant for many of them. They tell me things about everyone else because they know I won't gossip, what comes to me, stays with me. With this knowledge of everything that is going on though, I feel like I can sometimes smooth things over by offering another perspective (IE the perspective of the person they dislike) and bring peace back to the office. I play out this role with ease and when things settle down I feel much happier. Usually I believe arguments are miscommunications if people will only set aside their agitation long enough to consider the other side.

I should probably mention in case you didn't see the other thread that I witnessed a lot of in-home physical fighting when I was little when we would go to my Dads house on the weekends.

MBTI
    INxJ

Reading your posts since you have been here, INFJ. No doubt.