User Tag List

Page 85 of 114 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite Quotes

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

"You can't drive your house to work, but you can sleep in your car." - My best friend
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz
    Likes Kas liked this post

“Man is the only creature who refuses to be what he is." A. Camus
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle

Likes lumi, Doomkid, N/A liked this post

Senior Member Array Sunflower_Moon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1 sp
    Socionics
    EII Fi

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the one doing it." - Chinese Proverb

This has had a lot of personal meaning to me. I've had some people who have been negative with me in my life, but one in particular (my mother) was emotionally abusive. I won't get into the details, but she rarely praised me for anything good I did...it's like anything good about me and my achievements were invisible. She was someone who would always tell me I couldn't do something, or it wasn't possible, and usually shot those "in the real world" statements at me to try and discourage me from any of my dreams, goals, etc. The funny thing is that what she was calling idealistic or not possible, was entirely possible in the real world because many people are doing it. . .going to college. It was normal for her to tell me I wasn't smart enough, too damaged, and a slew of other things to try and bring me down, but I ended up graduating college with a cumulative GPA of 3.96, and I'm currently studying for my master's and have a 4.0. I did it, and I'm still doing it, despite my mother discouraging me and trying to make me believe that I couldn't do it. This is just one example, but there's plenty of others I had to put up with over the years. The sad thing is that what my mother wanted for me and encouraged was to get pregnant very young (wanted me pregnant in my teens), and not to further my education or be picky about the type of man I'd marry. All I can say is not to listen to people who say you can't do something, and just do it

MBTI
    INTJ

“The desire that guides me in all I do is the desire to harness the forces of nature to the service of mankind.” - Nikola Tesla
    "And then, as I got her message, there came a light from her eyes - powerful beams of light." - Nikola Tesla

MBTI
    INTJ

“I am even grateful to Einstein and others because through their erroneous theories they lead mankind away from that dangerous path I followed.” – Nikola Tesla
    "And then, as I got her message, there came a light from her eyes - powerful beams of light." - Nikola Tesla
    Likes Opal liked this post

MBTI
    FiSi
    Enneagram
    937 sp/so

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty." - Mahatma Gandhi

(I read this quote as being about humanity on a macro scale, with the drops of dirty water being evil and destructive people who are thankfully outnumbered by decent people, but I think the ocean metaphor could also work on a smaller scale to describe the character of many (hopefully most) individuals - flawed, but basically good. Containing the seeds of evil - like selfishness, greed, and disconnection from others - that have the potential to turn into hate and the willingness to degrade others or to allow them to be degraded, but possessing enough love, compassion, conscience, and/or right-minded principles to keep those flaws in check most of the time.)
    “If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us.” - Hermann Hesse
    Likes Doomkid, Kas liked this post

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't" - General George S. Patton
    Likes Petrahygen liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Doomkid View Post
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't" - General George S. Patton
    And "Only God Forgives"

MBTI
    INTJ

“The life of a free person is an offense to those attached to appearances and rules.” – Paulo Coelho
    Likes five sounds liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Sultan of Beans View Post
    "Being right too soon is socially unacceptable." - Robert A. Heinlein
    Love this
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.