User Tag List

Page 6 of 114 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite Quotes

Senior Member Array cloakofsnow's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFx

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    quotes are for sensors.
    Then I might be a sensor in denial because I love quotes, including ones that I've made up myself.

Here are some Oscar Wilde gems (not necessarily my favourites but I think they're great anyway):

To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.

No woman should ever be quite accurate about her age. It looks so calculating.

Men always want to be a woman's first love - women like to be a man's last romance.

I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train.

A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies.

It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it.

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.

Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

I am the only person in the world I should like to know thoroughly.

In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.

One's real life is so often the life that one does not lead.

Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

The difference between literature and journalism is that journalism is unreadable and literature is not read.

The good ended happily, and the bad unhappily. That is what fiction means.

The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use to oneself.

The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

The world is divided into two classes, those who believe the incredible, and those who do the improbable.

There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.

This suspense is terrible. I hope it will last.

To lose one parent may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness.

True friends stab you in the front.

Work is the curse of the drinking classes.

Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.

There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.

My suspicion is that Oscar Wilde was an enneagram 4w3. I relate to him sometimes when I swing towards wing 3. (The quote in my signature is from my wing 5 moments.)

Senior Member Array

"FALCON PUNCH!!!" - Captain Falcon

Following the lesson learned in this quote is the solution to all of life's problems.

MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    5w4

"rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth"
    -thoreau

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."
    -thoreau

"We're all a bit twisted, are we not? And isn't that a good thing, really? Maybe a little nuttiness displaces a lot of insanity. Isn't is better to be slightly peculiar than completely deranged? Or almost as bad, boringly sane? Sanity, if it exists, is dull and predictable. The aberrations make life interesting. They give us character. No matter how bizarre or inconvenient, they make us more elaborate, more fascinating, more charming, more... human. Really, all the good people are nuts." -encyclopedia neurotica

"Government, what is it but a tradition, though a recent one, endeavoring to transmit itself unimpaired to posterity, but each instance losing its integrity; it has not the vitality and force of a single living man. Law never made man a whit more just; and by means of their respect for it, even the well disposed are daily made agents of justice." -Thoreau

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. I drink at it, but while I drink I see the sandy bottom and detect how shallow it is. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains. I would drink deeper, fish in the sky, whose bottom is pebbly with stars. I cannot count one. I know not the first letter of the alphabet. I have always regretted that I was not as wise as the day I was born." -Thoreau

ok, i can't find my andreasen book, so i can't put my favorite.. well.. it's more like a paragraph.. so i will post it later.

Let's make this showy! Array raz's Avatar
    MBTI
    LoLz

Look. It's like this. Most people, when they get to college, feel really insecure. It seems like everybody around them knows so much more. So they race to try to catch up, pretend to know things, instead of slowing down to actually learn them. Because they don't realize that the discomfort of uncertainty is the most precious part of the experience. See, if you can feel comfortable... not knowing, you can learn anything, anything. And if not, well, then you've stopped before you've begun.
    A part of a conversation from Dawson's Creek that I found funny and profound at the same time:

Todd: Then I’ll fix it. Writing’s not that hard. So what do you want to be when you grow up, Dawson?
    Dawson: What else? A director.
    Todd: Yeah? What are you doing about it?
    Dawson: USC Film School.
    Todd: Film school is for pussies. What are you really doing about it?

I've always been fond of these :

"Teachers are unimaginable outside school- you may see them on their way to their car, but they fall off the edge of the earth when they leave the parking lot, only to re-materialize the next morning at the front of the class, appropriately attired."

"Not everything that dies has an ending."

"People must lie sometimes, even in their diaries. Mustn't they?"

"Behind every exquisite thing that existed, there was something tragic."

this ones a passage from a book:

"What is REAL?" asked the Rabbit one day, when they were lying side by side near the nursery fender, before Nana came to tidy the room. "Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?"

"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

"Does it happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit by bit?"

"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

"we will all live forever, no matter how dead we may sometimes be."

"If death meant leaving the stage long enough just to change costumes and become a new character, would you speed up? Or slow down?"

"To have ruined one's self over poetry is an honour."

oh and I really love this one:

"It is impossible to wake somebody who is pretending to be asleep."

MBTI
    INTJ

quotes are for sensors.
    Can I quote you on that?

MBTI
    INTJ

Rules are for the blind obedience of fools, and for the guidance of wise men. [Unknown]

Don't worry about the future, it will come soon enough. [Albert Einstein]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w
    Socionics
    EII

quotes are for sensors.
    Bullshit. INFJ is king of quotes.

Mark Twain : "Golf is a good walk spoiled."

MBTI
    INFP

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe:

Against criticism a man can neither protest nor defend himself; he must act in spite of it, and then it will gradually yield to him.

Treat a man as he appears to be, and you make him worse. But treat a man as if he were what he potentially could be, and you make him what he should be.

One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words.

To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    ENTP

“If I’m going to to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice.”

The Joker, Alan Moore’s The Killing Joke

Best opening line in literature:

“As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect.”

—Franz Kafka, The Metamorphosis