User Tag List

Page 43 of 114 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite Quotes

Senior Member Array

Quotations are just the hollow opinions of people who happen to have influence. They don't mean anything.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

“A fire broke out backstage in a theatre. The clown came out to warn the public; they thought it was a joke and applauded. He repeated it; the acclaim was even greater. I think that's just how the world will come to an end: to general applause from wits who believe it's a joke.” ― Søren Kierkegaard, Either/Or, Part I
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    That is a really good one. Always liked that one.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars.” - Jack Kerouac, On the Road.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Senior Member Array HollyGolightly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

"There's no talent in pointing out other people's faults." - what one of my teachers told me when I was taking criticism from peers to heart. Dunno whether he was quoting someone else but I always think of that when I am taking things too much to heart.
    "Dad I can't feel my legs."

"That's because you don't have any arms."

Meat Tornado Array DiscoBiscuit's Avatar
    Enneagram
    8w9

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not love, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not love, I am nothing.

And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not love, it profiteth me nothing.

Love suffereth long, and is kind; love envieth not; love vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

Love never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

And now abideth faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilogen View Post
    Quotations are just the hollow opinions of people who happen to have influence. They don't mean anything.
    Who said that?

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Who said that?
    I did.

If you look at a lot of the celebrity quotes today, it's shocking. The lack of cognizance these millionaire singers and actors display is just astounding.

A window to the soul

Let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious. - 1 Peter 3:4

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilogen View Post
    I did.
    Someone else probably said it before you.

If you look at a lot of the celebrity quotes today, it's shocking. The lack of cognizance these millionaire singers and actors display is just astounding.
    Why would or should I necessarily look toward a singer or actor for a 'cognizant' quote?