User Tag List

Page 30 of 114 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite Quotes

Senior Member Array

It was a dull landscape, but the sunshine and the glowing tints of the waning year gave it that day an intimate loveliness. There was an exhilaration in the great space that was spread before you. Cold, bleak and dreary as it must have been in winter, dry, sunbaked and oppressive as it may have been in the dog days, just then it was strangely exciting, for the vastness of the view invited the soul to adventure.

To the west of where I live are the Rocky Mountains; National and Provincial Parks, resort towns, hiking trails. To many it's a small refuge of untamed wild, an untouched oasis. To me it's something of a sham. Oh, it's quite beautiful, but too popular, too common.

To the south, north and east is prairie. Bald prairie as far as the eye can see, cross-hatched with dozens of backroads and highways. You could go hours without seeing another human being. I think it's where the soul is truly invited to adventure.

Meat Tornado Array DiscoBiscuit's Avatar
    Enneagram
    8w9

"Let all the ends thou aimst at be thy Country’s, thy God’s and Truth’s be noble and the nobleness that lies in other men, sleeping but never dead, shall rise in majesty to meet thine own."
    - J.R. Lowell. -
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

Enneagram
    8w9

Many posters here could benefit from taking this quote to heart:

"Don't use words too big for the subject. Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite."
    - C. S. Lewis -
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

Senior Member Array ms.behaving's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFJ

After a while you learn the subtle difference between holding a hand and chaining a soul,
    and you learn that love doesn't mean leaning,
    and company doesn't mean security,
    and you begin to learn that kisses aren't contracts,
    and presents aren't promises... -Jorge Luis Borges
    - MB

Senior Member Array

"Hasn't it struck you that when he's with us, easy as he is to get on with, friendly and sociable, one's conscious of a sort of detachment in him, as though he weren't giving all of himself, but withheld in some hidden part of his soul something, I don't know what it is—a tension, a secret, an aspiration, a knowledge—that sets him apart?"

Senior Member Array

Now there are times when a whole generation is caught in this way between two ages, two modes of life, with the consequence that it loses all power to understand itself and has no standard, no security, no simple acquiescence.

Enneagram
    8w9

"Ram a tree sideways up my ass and call me a national park."
    - Orson Swindle
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

Senior Member Array

What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it.

(Someone mentioned "The Catcher in the Rye" in passing and made me think of it.)

F CK all I need is U Array ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

Senior Member Array

You've got to find a way of saying it without saying it.