User Tag List

Page 20 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite Quotes

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

"People who have a vision should go see a doctor." ("Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen") - Helmut Schmidt

"I love to quote Angela Merkel verbatim, I have yet to find a better way to insult that woman."(Angela Merkel zitiere ich ja am liebsten wörtlich,
    ich hab noch keine bessere Möglichkeit gefunden diese Frau zu beleidigen) -- Volker Pispers

"All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his." - Oscar Wilde.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Meat Tornado Array DiscoBiscuit's Avatar
    Enneagram
    8w9

"For good or for ill, the change in the information and media landscape over the last three decades has made it more, and more possible for people to live in a world of information and opinion that reinforces and hardens their own prejudices. And that is making it harder and harder for us [in America] to have the kind of conversation we need to have [in politics]."

- William Galston -
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

Enneagram
    8w9

"The problem with these niche markets (i.e. FOX news, MSNBC, Rush Limbaugh etc...) is that they are echo chambers reinforcing rather than challenging the opinions that listeners and viewers bring to them."
    - William Galston -
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

MBTI
    INTJ

One grand great life throbs through earth's giant heart,
    And mighty waves of single Being roll
    From nerve-less germ to man, for we are part
    Of every rock and bird and beast and hill,
    One with the things that prey on us, and one with what we kill. - (Oscar Wilde, Panthea)

"It is a brave act of valor to condemn death, but where life is more terrible than death it is then the truest valor to dare to live." - Sir Thomas Brown

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body." - Chairman Mao

"I seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old, I seek the things they sought."

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows the end of triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt, France, 1910

"There is one rule, above all others, for being a man. Whatever comes, face it on your feet." - al'Lan Mandragoran

"A man's potential is unlimited, the reasoning goes. A man can reach any heights in life in any sphere of activity. But in order to defeat his opponents a man must first overcome himself, combat his own fears, his lack of confidence and laziness. The path upwards is one of continual battle with oneself. A man must force himself to rise sooner than the others and go to bed later. He must exclude from his life everything that prevents him from achieving his objective. He must subordinate the whole of his existence to the strictest regime. He must give up taking days off. He must use his time to the best possible advantage and fit in even more than was thought possible. A man aiming for a particular target can succeed only if he uses every minute of his life to the maximum advantage for carrying out his plan....He soon becomes convinced that the path to victory and self-preservation is a battle with himself, with his own mental and physical weakness." - Victor Suvorov "Spetsnaz", pg. 47

"The first man who, having enclosed a piece of ground, bethought himself of saying "This is mine!," and found people simple enough to believe him, was the real founder of civil society. From how many crimes, wars, and murders, from how many horrors and misfortunes might not any one have saved mankind, by pulling up the stakes, or filling up the ditch, and crying to his fellows: Beware of listening to this imposter; you are undone if you once forget that the fruits of the earth belong to us all, and the earth itself to nobody." - Jean Jacques Rousseau

But the first thing you learn about emotion is that it has its price; a complete paradox. It's just that...some of us...some of us have to forgo that luxury so that the rest can have it. Some very few of us have to force ourselves not to feel. Like me. Like you. - Jurgen (Equilibrium)

"Morals — all correct moral laws — derive from the instinct to survive. Moral behavior is survival behavior above the individual level." - Robert Heinlein

"Man is not a rational animal, he is a rationalizing animal." - Robert Heinlein
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

A window to the soul

"Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes."

- Edsger Dijkstra -

"But to him who studies in order to gain insight, books and studies are only steps of the ladder by which he climbs to the summit of knowledge. As soon as a round of the ladder has raised him a step, he leaves it behind him. The many, on the other hand, who study in order to fill their memory do not use the rounds of the ladder to mount by, but take them off, and load themselves with them to carry them away, rejoicing at the increasing weight of the burden. They remain always below, be cause they bear what ought to have borne them."

- Arthur Schopenhauer

A window to the soul

''I hope someday we all can learn how to forgive, be at peace with ourselves & our past & allow ourselves to be positive, loving people.''

- Colbie Caillat -

Enneagram
    8w9

“Aspire to be like Mt. Fuji, with such a broad and solid foundation that the strongest earthquake cannot move you, and so tall that the greatest enterprises of common men seem insignificant from your lofty perspective. With your mind as high as Mt Fuji you can see all things clearly. And you can see all the forces that shape events; not just the things happening near to you.”

- Miyamoto Musashi -

“In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased. An elevated spirit is weak and a low spirit is weak. Do not let the enemy see your spirit.”

- Miyamoto Musashi -

“Study strategy over the years and achieve the spirit of the warrior. Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.”

- Miyamoto Musashi -
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

Senior Member Array copperfish17's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    INTj

"How do you debate an idiot? You don't -- never engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man." - Author Unknown

-

Zen Sarcasm
    Words to live by...

1. Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone.

2. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a broken fan belt and leaky tire.

3. It's always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it.

4. Don't be irreplaceable. If you can't be replaced, you can't be promoted.

5. Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

6. Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

7. If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.

8. Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

9. If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

10. Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

11. If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

12. If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

13. Some days you're the bug; some days you're the windshield.

14. Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

15. The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

16. A closed mouth gathers no foot.

17. Duct tape is like 'The Force'. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

18. There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works.

19. Generally speaking, you aren't learning much when your lips are moving.

20. Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

21. Never miss a good chance to shut up.

22. Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
    Enneagram: 5w4 5-9-2 (5w4 9w1 2w1) sp/so

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Greg King
    The worst mistake people make in political arguments is assuming that the other side is not trying to do the right thing. This simple oversight makes productive conversation nearly impossible.

Enneagram
    8w9

Let all the ends thou aimst at be thy Country’s, thy God’s and Truth’s be noble, and the nobleness that lies in other men, sleeping but never dead, shall rise in majesty to meet thine own.
    - J.R. Lowell. -
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so