User Tag List

Page 15 of 114 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite Quotes

Meat Tornado Array DiscoBiscuit's Avatar
    Enneagram
    8w9

"There is a way to be good again." - Khaled Hosseini (from the Kite Runner[one of my personal favorites])
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

MBTI
    infp

"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world
    and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
    -E. B. White

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself." - Leo Tolstoy

Probably one of my favourites:
    "A single event can awaken within us
    a stranger totally unknown to us. To live
    is to be born slowly."

-Antione de Saint-Exupery
    .:"Claude os, aperi oculos.":.

"You can't give up hope just because it's hopeless, you have to hope even harder and cover your ears and go 'lalalalalalala'"- Fry (Futurama)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    "Move to Haiti, our government will help you there."
    -Anonymous advice to US citizens desperately looking for work
    ^ I love that.

"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn
    *One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain - Bob Marley

squint your eyes and look closer
    I'm not between you and your ambition
    I am a poster girl with no poster
    I am thirty-two flavors and then some
    and I'm beyond your peripheral vision
    so you might want to turn your head

Sniffles

"We don't love qualities; we love a person; sometimes by reason of their defects as well as their qualities."
    --Jacques Maritain

Good thing to keep in mind when concerning typology, among other things.

Sniffles

"These are strange times. Reason, which once combatted faith and seemed to have conquered it, now has to look to faith to save it from dissolution."
    --Johan Huizinga

MBTI
    fool

These are all from Adaptation:

You know why I like plants?
    Susan Orlean: Nuh uh.
    John Laroche: Because they're so mutable. Adaptation is a profound process. Means you figure out how to thrive in the world.
    Susan Orlean: [pause] Yeah but it's easier for plants. I mean they have no memory. They just move on to whatever's next. With a person though, adapting almost shameful. It's like running away.

---

John Laroche: Point is, what's so wonderful is that every one of these flowers has a specific relationship with the insect that pollinates it. There's a certain orchid look exactly like a certain insect so the insect is drawn to this flower, its double, its soul mate, and wants nothing more than to make love to it. And after the insect flies off, spots another soul-mate flower and makes love to it, thus pollinating it. And neither the flower nor the insect will ever understand the significance of their lovemaking. I mean, how could they know that because of their little dance the world lives? But it does. By simply doing what they're designed to do, something large and magnificent happens. In this sense they show us how to live - how the only barometer you have is your heart. How, when you spot your flower, you can't let anything get in your way.

---

Susan Orlean: There are too many ideas and things and people. Too many directions to go. I was starting to believe the reason it matters to care passionately about something, is that it whittles the world down to a more manageable size.

---

John Laroche: Look, I'll tell you a story, all right? I once feel deeply, you know, profoundly in love with tropical fish. Had 60 goddamn fish tanks in my house. I skin dived to find just the right ones. Anisotremus virginicus, Holdacanthus ciliaris, Chaetodon capistratus. You name it. Then one day I say, "fuck fish". I renounce fish. I vow never to set foot in that ocean again. That's how much "fuck fish".
    Susan Orlean: But why?
    John Laroche: Done with fish.

Ghost Monkey Soul Array Vizconde's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by tibby View Post
    Susan Orlean: There are too many ideas and things and people. Too many directions to go. I was starting to believe the reason it matters to care passionately about something, is that it whittles the world down to a more manageable size.
    Similar thoughts to this have been on my mind of recent...nice.

Also like how quotes elaborate on paradoxes and quasi-paradoxes

A king, realizing his incompetence, can either delegate or abdicate his duties.
    A father can do neither.
    If only sons could see the paradox, they would understand the dilemma.

-Marlene Dietrich
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INFP

"When you start to really know someone, all his physical characteristics start to disappear. You begin to dwell in his energy, recognize the scent of his skin. You see only the essence of the person, not the shell. That's why you can't fall in love with beauty. You can lust after it, be infatuated by it, want to own it. You can love it with your eyes & your body but not your heart. And that's why, when you really connect with a person's inner self, any physical imperfections disappear, become irrelevant."

Lisa Unger

MBTI
    INFP

The innocent and the beautiful have no enemy but time.
    --William Butler Yeats

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum...and I'm all out of gum!" - Dukius Nukemus
    The original quote is "I'm here to kick ass and chew bubble gum. And I'm all out of gum" and it's from John Carpenter's 'They Live'
    Does he want a pillow for his head?