User Tag List

Page 14 of 114 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by Ally9224 View Post
    I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where.
    I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride;
    so I love you because I know no other way
    -Pablo Neruda

Quote Originally Posted by Gamine View Post
    "You risk tears if you let yourself be tamed."

"... when someone blushes, doesn't that mean "yes"?"

Antoine de Saint-Exupry

Ah, yes, one of my fave books, The Little Prince.

Some more from the author:

"'Men have forgotten this truth,' said the fox. 'But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.'"

"I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind."

I have stated this a few times, in different places on this forum, but, it's gotta be Carl Sagan's famous thoughts on Voyager 1's photograph of earth from outer space, Pale Blue Dot:

Look again at that dot. That's here, that's home, that's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

^ Carl Sagan is one of my favorite writers; one of my favorite people. And that passage is maybe his best moment in a life of great moments. It's quite interesting that though my beliefs are quite different from his, this photo and this rumination on what it signifies led us simultaneously to our divergent beliefs.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFP

"Move to Haiti, our government will help you there."
    -Anonymous advice to US citizens desperately looking for work

Meat Tornado Array DiscoBiscuit's Avatar
    Enneagram
    8w9

When life gives you lemons, just say "Fuck the lemons" and bail.
    - Kunu
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.
    -Gloria Steinem

MBTI
    infp

"When you change the way you look at things, things change."

"Night, the beloved. Night, when words fade and things come alive. When the destructive analysis of day is done, and all that is truly important becomes whole and sound again. When man reassembles his fragmentary self and grows with the calm of a tree."
    -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"To dare to live alone is the rarest courage; since there are many who had rather meet their bitterest enemy in the field,
    than their own hearts in their closet."
    - Charles Caleb Colton

A funny one:
    "Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says:
    "Oh Shit! She's awake!""
    .:"Claude os, aperi oculos.":.

"You can't give up hope just because it's hopeless, you have to hope even harder and cover your ears and go 'lalalalalalala'"- Fry (Futurama)

MBTI
    NICE

I'm fed up being a bureaucrat. I'd resign, if only I knew the procedure.
    - Punch

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by placebo View Post
    "Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason that that of blindfolded fear."
    - Thomas Jefferson
    Yes, one of my favorites.

Others:

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
    - I've seen this attributed to both Ralph Waldo Emerson and Oliver Wendell Holmes, so I'm not sure.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day. 'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
    - Oscar Wilde

"You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children."
    - Madeleine L'Engle

"You know what's wrong with you, Miss Whoever-you-are? You're chicken, you've got no guts. You're afraid to stick out your chin and say, 'Okay, life's a fact, people do fall in love, people do belong to each other, because that's the only chance anybody's got for real happiness.' You call yourself a free spirit, a 'wild thing,' and you're terrified somebody's gonna stick you in a cage. Well baby, you're already in that cage. You built it yourself. And it's not bounded in the west by Tulip, Texas, or in the east by Somali-land. It's wherever you go. Because no matter where you run, you just end up running into yourself."
    - Paul Varjak, Breakfast at Tiffany's

For some reason, I've always loved Andrew Marvell's poem "To His Coy Mistress," especially:
    "Let us roll all our strength and all
    Our sweetness up into one ball,
    And tear our pleasures with rough strife
    Through the iron gates of life;
    Thus, though we cannot make our sun
    Stand still, yet we will make him run."

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

LOVE that this thread got revived. Nice work!

Here's a lovely, optimistic addition to the thread's quote collection:

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it f***ed you."
    - Sh*t My Dad Says (via Twitter/Facebook)
    and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do
    you?

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw or gryffindor (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    esTP
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

"If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now."- Zaphod Beeblebrox, Hitchhiker's Guide

"The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter."- Mark Twain

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett