User Tag List

Page 103 of 114 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1133

Thread: Favourite Quotes

MBTI
    INTJ

"It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance." - Thomas Sowell
    "And then, as I got her message, there came a light from her eyes - powerful beams of light." - Nikola Tesla
    Likes Lark liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Paul Heyman ~
    "You cannot achieve success without the risk of failure. And I learned a long time ago, you cannot achieve success, if you fear failure. If you're not afraid to fail, man, you have a chance to succeed. But you're never gonna get there unless you risk it, all the way. I'll risk failure. Sometimes, half the fun is failing. Learning from your mistakes, waking up the next morning, and saying 'Okay. Watch out. Here I come again. A little bit smarter, licking my wounds, and really not looking forward to getting my ass kicked the way I just did yesterday.' So now, I'm just a little more dangerous." ~

- "It's the unbridled passion and the fearlessness to just go into something with reckless abandon that allows you to create something from nothing. That allows you to innovate. That allows you to take things to the extreme." - Paul Heyman

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

"Many moralists have remarked, that Pride has of all human vices the widest dominion, appears in the greatest multiplicity of forms, and lies hid under the greatest variety of disguises; of disguises, which, like the moon's veil of brightness, are both its lustre and its shade, and betray it to others, tho' they hide it from ourselves.

It is not my intention to degrade Pride from this pre-eminence of mischief, yet I know not whether Idleness may not maintain a very doubtful and obstinate competition.

There are some that profess Idleness in its full dignity, who call themselves the Idle, as Busiris in the play calls himself the Proud; who boast that they do nothing, and thank their stars that they have nothing to do; who sleep every night till they can sleep no longer, and rise only that exercise may enable them to sleep again; who prolong the reign of darkness by double curtains, and never see the sun but to tell him how they hate his beams; whose whole labour is to vary the postures of indulgence, and whose day differs from their night but as a couch or chair differs from a bed.

These are the true and open votaries of Idleness, for whom she weaves the garlands of poppies, and into whose cup she pours the waters of oblivion; who exist in a state of unruffled stupidity, forgetting and forgotten; who have long ceased to live, and at whose death the survivors can only say, that they have ceased to breathe.

But Idleness predominates in many lives where it is not suspected; for being a vice which terminates in itself, it may be enjoyed without injury to others; and is therefore not watched like Fraud, which endangers property, or like Pride, which naturally seeks its gratifications in another's inferiority. Idleness is a silent and peaceful quality, that neither raises envy by ostentation, nor hatred by opposition; and therefore no body is busy to censure or detect it.

As Pride sometimes is hid under humility, Idleness is often covered by turbulence and hurry. He that neglects his known duty and real employment, naturally endeavours to crowd his mind with something that may bar out the remembrance of his own folly, and does any thing but what he ought to do with eager diligence, that he may keep himself in his own favour. "-Samuel Johnson, Idleness 'The idler' no.31
    「 」

9w8-2w1-6w7

MBTI
    INTJ

“Love is a chemical reaction within the brain. You can not choose who to love nor can you choos NOT to love.” ― Samantha Ard
    "And then, as I got her message, there came a light from her eyes - powerful beams of light." - Nikola Tesla

MBTI
    INTJ

“Ego=1/Knowledge: More the knowledge lesser the ego, lesser the knowledge more the ego.” – Albert Einstein

Likes Bknight liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ

“The most unpardonable sin in society is independence of thought.” ― Emma Goldman

- - - Updated - - -

“Someone has said that it requires less mental effort to condemn than to think.” ― Emma Goldman

- - - Updated - - -

“A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.” ― Albert Einstein

- - - Updated - - -

“Don't let your special character and values, the secret that you know and no one else does, the truth - don't let that get swallowed up by the great chewing complacency.” ― Aesop

"The man's a merchant, he couldnt fight sleep" - Outlander

That was levity in an otherwise terrifyingly nasty episode full of sadistic homosexual rape and torture.

Quote Originally Posted by serenesam View Post
    “The most unpardonable sin in society is independence of thought.” ― Emma Goldman

- - - Updated - - -

“Someone has said that it requires less mental effort to condemn than to think.” ― Emma Goldman

- - - Updated - - -

“A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.” ― Albert Einstein

- - - Updated - - -

“Don't let your special character and values, the secret that you know and no one else does, the truth - don't let that get swallowed up by the great chewing complacency.” ― Aesop
    When I hear quotes encouraging people to question and attack authority these days I'm always saddened to think that in 9 out of 10 cases all its going to mean is attacking one authority by adopting another worse one for its supposedly subtle character.

Nᴏᴛʜɪɴɢ Fᴇᴇʟs Lɪᴋᴇ Hᴏᴍᴇ Array Yamato Nadeshiko's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx

" Truth is singular. Its 'versions' are mistruths. "
    --Sonmi-451, Cloud Atlas

I'm so alone
    Trying to find my way back home to you
    Johari / Nohari
    6w7 9w1 2w1 - so/sx
    Phlegmatic - Melancholic
    Sensitive - Solitary - Serious
    Likes Olm the Water King liked this post

across the universe Array Olm the Water King's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    459 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

"Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water."
    - Buddhist saying
    Likes Forever liked this post