User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

[to ygolo] sell your home, pay off the remaining part of the mortgage with the money you get from it, and try to find a very non-expensive accomodation, perhaps?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    [to ygolo] sell your home, pay off the remaining part of the mortgage with the money you get from it, and try to find a very non-expensive accomodation, perhaps?
    I am underwater on the condo--I would only get a 1/3 of what I need for the mortgage if I sold.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

most of my money goes to providing for my animals and my education
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INTP

Not sure what the percentages are for my household. That would require a bit more brainpower than I have available right at this moment.

In terms of cutting expenses, we've had times in the past when money has been tight. I see these categories as essentials:

- accommodation (whether it's rent or mortgage)
    - food (going vegie and cooking dried beans and lentils instead of meat, not buying convenience foods, soda etc are all ways of reducing the food bill)
    - electricity (reduce energy use as much as possible - turn off lights, appliances, turn down the thermostat in winter etc)
    - water rates
    - essential medications
    - medical bills
    - transport costs (car or public transport, or a bike if that's feasible where you live)
    - basic stuff like soap, toilet paper, shampoo, washing detergent, sunscreen
    - pet food and annual vaccination (we have a cat)

Nice to have if there's money left over:

- house and contents insurance
    - medical insurance
    - internet access
    - donations to charity
    - house maintenance

Luxuries:

- new clothes
    - restaurants or takeout
    - new furniture
    - travel (for holidays)
    - books, other entertainment like movies
    - alcohol
    - cosmetics
    - hobbies

I'm sure I've left stuff out, but if we were ever short of money again, we'd cut out everything in the luxury category immediately and think very carefully about anything in the nice to have category.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I am underwater on the condo--I would only get a 1/3 of what I need for the mortgage if I sold.
    I have to wonder, is it that someone you trust says "It's a good idea to buy this house/condo," and you just do it?

Because if you do the math, you should be able to figure out what the story is. So many hard luck stories, so little forethought, it seems.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Lol, in the united states healthcare is considered as something nice to have, jesus, that's like a 3rd world country
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

per month

Rent - 570
    car payment - 236
    utilities - probably around 140 average
    after-school child care - 105
    phone/internet - 75
    gas - lately with the price drop, it's probably around 60-70
    sponsored child with Compassion International - 32
    car insurance - 30
    Jim Rome Streamlink membership - 6.95

most of the rest goes to food for me and my son, with some other occasional expenses like fees for sports he plays, field trips for school and other school fundraiser stuff, random gifts for people when i feel like it, random gifts for myself when i feel like it, car maintenance, uhhhh...I'm probably forgetting something but I dunno...
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I have to wonder, is it that someone you trust says "It's a good idea to buy this house/condo," and you just do it?

Because if you do the math, you should be able to figure out what the story is. So many hard luck stories, so little forethought, it seems.
    Well, I did do the math. I bought in late 2005, because I found after renting out a room in a 3 bedroom condo, I would be paying less in interest than I would be in rent for my two bedroom appartment. I could rent out the second room too, now (I need to clean up A LOT). That will help.

One assumption I built into the analysis, however was that I would stay with my job (which is still secure) or one in the area till I retired in my late 40's with the condo paid fully.

In this scenario, it does not matter if house prices dropped (other than opportunity cost). I could still easily handle the payments, and I was paying less interest/HOA than I would have for rent.

Then, in my late 40s, all I would need for housing is to pay for taxes and HOA fees.

This would not be "hard luck" for me, if I didn't want to quit my job and go to school.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Give us your best guess.
    Mmmmm, pie charts! Do you mean if I get an INTP they'll do this for me?!?!

This is something that causes me much anxiety, I have very poor money management skills. I'll get my rent, utilities, and other expenses like car insurance and credit card bills paid but after that I have no clue where my money goes. It's mostly entertainment like going out for dinner, happy hours, alcohol, movies, and plays. Being an extrovert is expensive.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Being an extrovert (or an SP) is expensive.
    Fixed.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel