User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

Default The “what I learned in college thread”

Ok well, as you have probably already noticed, there seems to be a growing trend among the many people carrying undergraduate degrees to despise and under value this educational undertaking. Many times, I find myself on the forefront of these rallies pushing the banners of anti-educational establishment and bellowing the fires of hate towards it all while shining the light of truth on the futility of these degrees.

Today though, I wish to turn the other cheek by starting a new thread to encourage students to still go after these degrees in hopes of opening more doors for themselves in the future and maybe to pique their interests in the matter.

That is why I present you with: The what I learned in college thread

Here is how it works, introduce your degree or your major and what you have learned from it.

Hello, I am the G-Virus, and I have a bachelors of science in biochemistry. Most of the time I am negative and spiteful about it because there aren’t many jobs out there for recent graduates. I was walking by the TV where my family was sitting today and I saw CSI Miami on the screen. The characters were doing some different lab tests when I realized that I new exactly what was going on and what they were doing. It was an awesome feeling, and then I also realized that I could do almost any of those tests in my kitchen sink with nothing more than a quick visit to the drain cleaning area of ace hardware to garner my needed chemicals. I also learned how to make some very high grade methamphetamine and MDMA and other assorted drugs in my bathtub if the need ever arises (need = something like the zombie apocalypse). I also realized that I know more about how drugs work in the body than a pharmacist, and more about how a person loses and gains weight than a nutritionist.

To summarize, I like my degree, even though most of the time you will see me cussing it out and calling it useless.

This is not to say you can’t learn everything I know with the use of the internet and a library card, but there is something about first hand experience and being forced to study that gives college its special place in my heart.

Some side stuff I learned on the pursuit of my degree: The basics of quantum mechanics and modern physics. Differential equations, linear algebra, lots and lots of calculus, circuits, C++, philosophy, an EMT-Intermediate license, my A+ hardware certification and other assorted garbage I will never use in my lifetime.

What I didn’t learn in college, is how to string along a coherent sentence that makes sense to the reader without any ambiguity and vagueness involved. Fuck, I don’t have any grammar or spelling skills at all.

Your turn, what did you learn in college, entertain us and mostly, inspire us to go that extra mile and get that degree.
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

"If you go looking for something in particular, your chances of finding it are very bad, because of all the things in the world, you're only looking for one of them. If you go looking for anything at all, your chances of finding it are very good, because of all the things in the world, you're sure to find some of them."

MBTI
    IsTP

Nothing, waste of time and money... I should've went to trade school
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by kendoiwan View Post
    Nothing, waste of time and money... I should've went to trade school
    Awwww... Would you mind reading the purpose of the thread before you post. It is supposed to be an encouraging post so leave the sobbing loser negativity for another post please.

Plus, who the fuck pays for school these days, isn't everyone on financial aid pell grants and shit?
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

"If you go looking for something in particular, your chances of finding it are very bad, because of all the things in the world, you're only looking for one of them. If you go looking for anything at all, your chances of finding it are very good, because of all the things in the world, you're sure to find some of them."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

I learned about dysfunctional team dynamics.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

aww, come on, no one has a kick ass skill like making meth in a bathtub with a rusty faucet?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I learnt a load of calculus and statistics, the way banking works, the way firms make decisions, auction theory, some economic history and history of economic thought, the basis of finance, how to use stata, mathematica, matlab and program them, differential and stochastic equations; there was a part of business and accounting, too, but I don't consider those subject matters as learning - I think they shrink the size of your brain.

I'd say all of this was, for the most part, completely useless.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I learnt a load of calculus and statistics, the way banking works, the way firms make decisions, auction theory, some economic history and history of economic thought, the basis of finance, how to use stata, mathematica, matlab and program them, differential and stochastic equations.
    Man, that would be so awsome to know these days. I really wish I had any understanding of how the financial systems work. Makes me so jealous that I want to sign up for a masters in economics also.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I just graduated with a BS in Political Science, I learned a lot about society and how groups of people think and operate. On the other hand, I was very involved in campus life, and I think I learned more there. I was able to expound on the notions that I learned about society, and applied them to strategic planning and leadership.

All in all, I learned to operate in the real world: to keep track of a million different projects and their deadlines, how to give several presentations in one day, how to network, how to gain support for radical ideas, and how to NOT conduct myself in a meeting.

I learned so much more socially than academically. Any of you have this same experience?
    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have a B.Sc. in mechanical engineering.

I learned that F=ma and you can't push on a rope.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Sorry for the pessimism, I wrote that after realizing tomorrow is Monday

I learned about how to commit and catch financial fraud, how to maximize your investment returns using all kinds of financial assets, how to manage a hedge fund, how to mediate conflicts and how to defend yourself against a legal charge of assault and battery.

On the life side, I learned that $50,000,000,000.00 is a good amount to feel guilty about after committing said fraud