User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INFP

The "tangent" part is called "the bigger picture." I'm chuckling here. My ISTJ husband and I often have these kinds of miscommunications going.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    LoLz

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Good for you. Learning that you need to get a grip on yourself is a valuable lesson to have learned in only one quarter and a good start. That was a rude awakening for me. The more difficult part was learning HOW to get a grip on myself! Heh.

No, college isn't the only experience that can challenge your self image and if you have some patience and effort you will be able to come to a decison about whether it's for you or not. Sometimes it takes hanging in for a while until something clicks for you when you meet with initial frustration. That's true of any new endeavor. What does a beginner want? Instant success!

At any rate, you can come out of the experience with personal benefit.

I had a midlife dealy going for a while where I had trashed a great deal of my life by thinking of my mistakes as a waste of time.

Whoa. Had to rethink it since it was the only life I've got and I didn't want to have to look at it that way. So I figured out where I had learned something useful by my mistakes.
    Well, having only a full time job to focus on and random things on the side was plenty simple for me. It was when I threw full time school into the equation that I fucked myself up. I wasn't ready to face the fact that I didn't want only school and work to monopolize my life. During this break, I found out that with only work to worry about, everything is easy. Too easy. I guess now I see the goal of having a job that allows me to have better control.

MBTI
    INxJ

How to make glue
    How to waste 4+ years
    How I will never understand certain people
    How engineering buildings are safe havens

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    How engineering buildings are safe havens
    The IT building at KU is built like a bunker, so I'd want to be in there if anything dangerous happened, that's for sure.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    The IT building at KU is built like a bunker, so I'd want to be in there if anything dangerous happened, that's for sure.
    lol That's an interesting angle.

I was referring to not being bothered. I can take naps, play video games, or study inbetween classes without anyone speaking to me. It's nice. Engineering students keep to themselves. If I make the mistake of going anywhere else on campus for down time, there's a 9/10 chance some frat bastard will try to chat with me.

MBTI
    INFP

I just found me a mess of counter-culture hippies and let them take care of me. Got straight As too but that was incidental to what I was doin' there!
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    *scratches head* What were we talking about again? It seems like you just went off on a tangent. I'm just looking at it as going from Point A, the first day to Point B, graduation. The only thing required there is the ability to follow rules. All other....lessons....are obsolete when going for the gold, aka the degree.

I've only been through one semester so far, and the only thing I learned from that semester? I needed to learn how to get a better grip on myself. I'm already aware of what is required of me personally. I'm not talking requirements from the outside world. I'm talking in terms of my own view of myself. I just have to learn to accept it. College isn't the only experience that can challenge your self-image.
    Raz, and all the other haters need to cut the crap out. There are two ways to go through college. One is to go through it and just follow the syllabus, read the books, take the tests, and turn in the assignments as an automated humanoid. The other is to actually go in there and learn how to fucking learn. Sorry to be blunt about it, but I know more organic chemistry than 99% of all graduates with chem degreees not because I am smart, but because i payed attention and focused on that subject. I learned how to understand it and what is going on behind the scenes.

So sure, college can be a waste of time, or it can be a world of endless knoweledge and oppurtunitty. When I say endless, I mean it, as you can get into any research program you want if that is what you are looking for.

Its all about attitude, and I ask that you guys keep a positive one in this thread, and quit shitting all over it.

Fucking haters j/k.
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

"If you go looking for something in particular, your chances of finding it are very bad, because of all the things in the world, you're only looking for one of them. If you go looking for anything at all, your chances of finding it are very good, because of all the things in the world, you're sure to find some of them."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

Anja, thank you for your reply and to everyone else, quit Hi-jacking my thread. This isn't the what I didn't learn in college thread so quit posting that crap here, and if you want start another thread with that title.
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

"If you go looking for something in particular, your chances of finding it are very bad, because of all the things in the world, you're only looking for one of them. If you go looking for anything at all, your chances of finding it are very good, because of all the things in the world, you're sure to find some of them."

In High School I was hated.

But in College if I leant against a wall in a group of people and said nothing, they would gather around me.

I still remember the first moment it happened in the Science Foyer. I was amazed - they seemed to like me.

It was so simple - I didn't have to do anything - even the girls seemed to like me.

So in College I learnt to lean against a wall.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

I loved my college experience. I went to a career university so you went for a specific degree and took courses within that college. I got to do two study abroad programs and graduated early with honors. Everything that I learned in school applies to what i'm doing now and I actually got my current "dream job" through one of the friends that I made over the years. In my opinion college is what you make of it I didn't think I would take so much from my education but I have and it has rewarded me.

who knows I may even go back for my MBA in Financial Managment