User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP

The first degree I learned how not to teach. It can't be taught. But most of what they taught me was useful in unlearning it.

I learned how to party hearty, hook up and protest the system.

I learned how to trash my attitude and enthusiasm for life. I was pretty damn kewl by the time I got out.

The second degree I learned how to help people who spent their college years making meth in the bathtub. Then I unlearned that, as well, realizing that how the drugs worked in their bodies weren't the information that they needed.

I learned how to redeem myself from all my youthful follies and have courage.

I learned how to become a satisfied and productive human being.

The difference? A little maturity under my belt and the fact that my parents paid for my first degree and I paid for my second.

On a more serious note, I doubt that anyone who is half-serious doesn't benefit from some college education. I've noticed a distinct difference, a sort of "polish," on people who have the self-discipline to attend some form of higher education.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    LoLz

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    On a more serious note, I doubt that anyone who is half-serious doesn't benefit from some college education. I've noticed a distinct difference, a sort of "polish," on people who have the self-discipline to attend some form of higher education.
    Some would say though, that all you did was manage to follow a strict regiment for a set amount of time.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    Some would say though, that all you did was manage to follow a strict regiment for a set amount of time.
    Self-discipline, you mean? What a concept!

See, I don't think college is to force learning on a person, but most kids go in feeling like that's what's happening.

The second time I realized that I was paying for the opportunity to teach myself how to learn.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

That's not a benefit, from my perspective.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    LoLz

Self-discipline, you mean? What a concept!

See, I don't think college is to force learning on a person, but most kids go in feeling like that's what's happening.

The second time I realized that I was paying for the opportunity to teach myself how to learn.
    I'd just think that you're really only following strict and vanilla rules for the time you're in there. The problem just ends up being willpower to FOLLOW those rules. In a way though, college makes the social experience too simple.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I learned that college is the new high school.

MBTI
    INFP

I'd just think that you're really only following strict and vanilla rules for the time you're in there. The problem just ends up being willpower to FOLLOW those rules. In a way though, college makes the social experience too simple.
    My point being that you can enter an experience with defiance and fail to find anything of use there.

It does require an effort on one's part to make use of what's being offered. It won't be handed to you, in the form you want. Waste the time or use it to your advantage?

Or skip it altogether. But probably drop the attitude that you aren't going to learn anything from anyone else regardless of how you pursue designing your life or you'll end up disillusioned.

It isn't necessary to go to college to learn things. But an open mind and a willingness to learn from others is.

I've heard that self-defeating attitude described as "contempt prior to investigation." Think that fits and youth is prone to it's spell.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I learned that college is the new high school.
    Hah!. I went to a Lutheran Jr. college my first year. It was like being in kindergarten. And I was young enough and dumb enough to be blind to all else but that I was being controlled! Gawd forbid.

I spent more time rebelling and grumbling than I did learning.

MBTI
    LoLz

My point being that you can enter an experience with defiance and fail to find anything of use there.

It does require an effort on one's part to make use of what's being offered. It won't be handed to you, in the form you want. Waste the time or use it to your advantage?

Or skip it altogether. But probably drop the attitude that you aren't going to learn anything from anyone else regardless of how you pursue designing your life or you'll end up disillusioned.

It isn't necessary to go to college to learn things. But an open mind and a willingness to learn from others is.

I've heard that self-defeating attitude described as "contempt prior to investigation." Think that fits and youth is prone to it's spell.
    *scratches head* What were we talking about again? It seems like you just went off on a tangent. I'm just looking at it as going from Point A, the first day to Point B, graduation. The only thing required there is the ability to follow rules. All other....lessons....are obsolete when going for the gold, aka the degree.

I've only been through one semester so far, and the only thing I learned from that semester? I needed to learn how to get a better grip on myself. I'm already aware of what is required of me personally. I'm not talking requirements from the outside world. I'm talking in terms of my own view of myself. I just have to learn to accept it. College isn't the only experience that can challenge your self-image.

MBTI
    INFP

*scratches head* What were we talking about again? It seems like you just went off on a tangent. I'm just looking at it as going from Point A, the first day to Point B, graduation. The only thing required there is the ability to follow rules. All other....lessons....are obsolete when going for the gold, aka the degree.

I've only been through one semester so far, and the only thing I learned from that semester? I needed to learn how to get a better grip on myself. I'm already aware of what is required of me personally. I'm not talking requirements from the outside world. I'm talking in terms of my own view of myself. I just have to learn to accept it. College isn't the only experience that can challenge your self-image.

Good for you. Learning that you need to get a grip on yourself is a valuable lesson to have learned in only one quarter and a good start. That was a rude awakening for me. The more difficult part was learning HOW to get a grip on myself! Heh.

No, college isn't the only experience that can challenge your self image and if you have some patience and effort you will be able to come to a decison about whether it's for you or not. Sometimes it takes hanging in for a while until something clicks for you when you meet with initial frustration. That's true of any new endeavor. What does a beginner want? Instant success!

At any rate, you can come out of the experience with personal benefit.

I had a midlife dealy going for a while where I had trashed a great deal of my life by thinking of my mistakes as a waste of time.

Whoa. Had to rethink it since it was the only life I've got and I didn't want to have to look at it that way. So I figured out where I had learned something useful by my mistakes.