User Tag List

123 Last

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Default License to Have a Child?

This random thought popped into my mind. Why do we not need license to have a child? We need one to drive a car, and that is like really really much more simple than raising a child. Ok, you can kill people with car. But you can mess up one innocent person completely if you are twisted enough.

I don't really know if I would be against or for "Child License"... I could say that think of what can happen if two convicted pedophiles meet on the internet and get together just in order to have themselves a baby to play with. We have no way of noticing this without a license (I assume). Even if we think about the more normal parenting, it wouldn't hurt to have the parents go through a mandatory "school of parenting" so they wouldn't have to start from zero...? Then again, would it be humane if parenting wasn't a birth right for everyone? The license could be used unjustly, it might lead to corruption and child smuggling. Some children could be left out of the system because there would be secret births all over the place.

What do you think?

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Regulating human behavior is something I've never been for. While it makes sense in theory, how many of the greatest minds and humans have been raised in familes that would not likely be granted said license. How would you enforce this? Do you take children away from unlicensed couples? Throw them in jail, and remove them from their children? It's too messy, and something our governments are not capable of in our current system.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Dumb idea, because think about it: if guy/gal X and Y have a kid without a license, what the hell are you gonna do about it? Fines? Prison the parents, leaving the child without anyone to care for them?

This would make China's 1 child policy look enligthened and progressive

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    Retarded idea, because think about it: if guy/gal X and Y have a kid without a license, what the hell are you gonna do about it? Fines? Prison the parents, leaving the child without anyone to care for them?

This would make China's 1 child policy look enligthened.
    Not to say I havent thought about, but I quickly came to the same conclusion.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    How would you enforce this? Do you take children away from unlicensed couples? Throw them in jail, and remove them from their children? It's too messy, and something our governments are not capable of in our current system.
    I guess there would be some sort of contraception you need to take regularly and some sort of government regulation of that. Maybe some capsule under your skin that lasts for a year, they would figure something out. I'm not really that much interested in how they would do it, to me this is interesting because it such a complicated moral issue.

You mentioned that brilliant minds might not be born if we had such a control. I am not sure if this is politically speaking any issue, since there might be next Einstein born in Africa right now, but will later die for malnutrition. And do we see helicopters going that way to save him and his tribe...

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post

You mentioned that brilliant minds might not be born if we had such a control. I am not sure if this is politically speaking any issue, since there might be next Einstein born in Africa right now, but will later die for malnutrition. And do we see helicopters going that way to save him and his tribe...
    I'm just saying that if you regulate that behavior, say the chances of an einstein mind are such and such. If you limit the "rolls" of the dice by having less offspring, the time between einsteins is increased if the odds remain the same. Society suffers as a whole. As long as you do not waste resources on those kids born to crappy parents you expand your number of rolls within the same period of time and spend no more resources, society benefits.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Society would benefit by having a way to control the population growth. And if the project worked the way it should, the children would be healthier, which should increase their lifelong productivity.

Society would benefit by having a way to control the population growth. And if the project worked the way it should, the children would be healthier, which should increase their lifelong productivity.
    This is true if you believe intelligence is solely the product of a perfect childhood that fosters that intelligence, and not initially somewhat determined by genetics and nature, which is not the case.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I wasn't talking about intellectuals. The population as a whole would be more productive if half of them weren't running at psychologists to fix their childhood.

EDIT: btw, how many screwed up children is one intellect worth?

I wasn't talking about intellectuals. The population as a whole would be more productive if half of them weren't running at psychologists to fix their childhood.
    And how many of those running at psychologists actually impede the intellectual's way of life. Society needs idiots. If everyone hit maximum productivity who would clean the toilets, serve the food in schools, collect your toll on the highway. Until AI and robots, we cannot have this society.