User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default The Lord of the Rings and other Tolkien Writings - What Type likes them best and why?

I've seen several suggestions that JRR was an INTJ. This goes a long way to explaining why I enjoy his stuff so much. I wish more writers could spend their whole lives inventing languages and creating a world before then developing stories within that world. The richness of this completely inefficient process is stunning to me. I wonder how well it is absorbed by you other types.

I am looking for opinions on his writings, not the movies. Movie opinions may be provided secondarily.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I love his writings. Have read the trilogy and The Hobbit several times over and am reading them again. I've also read the Silmarillion, but that was a bit of a chore to go through the first time (though there were some lovely stories) so I haven't made it through the second time.

For me the best part is the incredible amount of detail placed in his descriptions of the landscape and the culture of the people he created. It's very easy to sink into his world because of that. Unfortunately, that same amount of detail can bog down the pace in places where I'd expect it to be moving quickly.

The only problem I have is he isn't as good with everyday dialogue and human relations, understandable...sometimes I just wish he had been a bit better at it (though I know he wrote and rewrote the thing numerous times). He was, however, excellent with big important speeches. Just the chatter between characters, especially the hobbits, could be relaxed a little bit. I always sense a slight amount of awkwardness between the characters, even the ones that know each other well. In spite of that, I think his most well-rendered characters seem to be Gandalf and Bilbo. And it could easily be because he knew them longer in his head and thus felt more comfortable with them.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I loved the depth to the cultures and species and backstory of the books. You really felt that there were thousands of years of real history behind everything, which helps give the story an epic feel. However, I hated some of the segments, because of how inane they were. After Frodo leaves the shire and they roam around for a million pages before finding bombadil is just complete drudgery.

MBTI
    INTJ

Ahh. This was a lame thread. Thanks guys for commenting. When I step outside my own experience, its kind of amazing that Tolkien finally found the notoriety he is coming into. At the same time, his work certainly has a genius all its own. A biography I read portrays a kind of lonely figure.

MBTI
    LoLz

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I loved the depth to the cultures and species and backstory of the books. You really felt that there were thousands of years of real history behind everything, which helps give the story an epic feel. However, I hated some of the segments, because of how inane they were. After Frodo leaves the shire and they roam around for a million pages before finding bombadil is just complete drudgery.
    It's the same with Star Wars. The support of the movies from the EU and video games made the movies so much more intense. Maybe that's just me, but you can't go wrong with lore! The problem though comes with telling what is actually...

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

He might be INTJ, but I personally find his work overly verbose. Which type likes historical fantasies the best? IXXP?
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I love them with a passion, always will ... they're wildly Romantic. To me, better than anyone else's fiction of that type.

I like the stories he invented, they're quite fascinating. I only read The lord of the rings and The hobbit, but I can't say that I liked his writing style. It got a little boring at certain point. But yes, the whole history of Middle earth and everything else, with the elves, etc ... the story itself was amazing.

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'd tend to think he was INTP, not INTJ. I don't know an INTJ who would have the tenacity to actually spend all that time creating the languages, histories, family trees, etc. that he did. It took a tremendous amount of follow through and desire to fully express that INTJ's seem to lack.
    Embrace the possibilities.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Tolkien's type has already been discussed at some length on this thread, in case you hadn't seen it http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...tml#post408196
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...